Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular

Postby hudstur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Have the FITBIT IONIC. That I use for all sports. I link it to the Strava app. Works great and looks good with the sport band.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Just remember, the apple watch does NOT support roaming.. so it will only work in your home country and on ONE specific carrier.

OzBungy wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 am
I have asked these questions over on the Kitesurf forum. I suspect that foilers might be more up on using technology to record sessions and some of the issues I am thinking of. Hopefully some of you will have experience of the watches and be able to offer some sensible advice.

My plan is to get an Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular to use as a communication device when foiling. I want to do longer coastal run and it would be good to be able to call in a ride if I get stuck somewhere along the coast. The people at home could check where I am whenever they wanted. It would also be good to call in the emergency services if I need rescue.

I have SPOT and Inreach devices but they have limited communications options and are a lot more bulky than wearing a simple watch/phone.

A couple of questions:
- sports band or sports loop? The sports band is solid plastic with a single pin and a slot. It does not look very secure. The sports loop is a webbing strip with velcro. It looks a lot more secure and there is probably enough length to wear it over a wetsuit. Is the band secure enough? Is the loop more secure?

- Is there a suitable app for recording GPS tracks that will allow downloading and analysis after? I currently use a Garmin and the Garmin Connect web site is not too bad for looking at track logs.

Thanks

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Been thanked: 0

Postby mcfly777 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Here's my experience so far.

Had an Apple Watch series 2 for about a year. Tracking using Strava app. Sometimes the app is unreliable but mostly works. I had the original Sport strap and I wore the watch under a wetsuit and it never came loose even in hard crashes. Recently I traveled to a tropical region and I lost the watch after 2 sessions, since I was not wearing a wetsuit.

Now I bought a series 3 with Cellular. Strava works better on this as this watch is faster. I don't go far from land, and haven't tested calling from the watch. I didn't realize Siri works without the phone, so will try that.

The way I use the Watch is to record my sessions. It's a nice to have to call someone in case you're down, but I really don't bank on this functionality for safety...for that I'd use something else.

A couple more things:
-the GPS refresh on the Apple Watch does not have a fast enough sampling rate to be precise for speed that varies quickly. For that you'll need the GW60 or similar that have a much higher sampling rate and will be very precise.
-I ordered a new vest that has a front and back pocket, where I plan to carry a VHF radio as well as small fins. This is the setup for longer rides for me. I also always carry a marine whistle, a knife, and dog tags around my neck.
-There is a setting on the Watch app where you can disable more extensive heart rate monitoring to save battery life. This works well. With the Series 3, though this setting is also tied to turning off cellular, so if you need to use cellular you need to turn it on in the water which can be difficult with the water.

Return to “Hydrofoil”