A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kai Lenny's new foil

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm

SparD wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 am
After looking at the full sequence on Facebook, it looks like he's lauching from a wave.

I think the rear wing looks a lot like Spotz (RIP :() Tuna back wing. Maybe it's not a coincidence as I've seen pictures and video of Kai riding a Spotz Tuna.

How on earth do you get that out of these images / sequence? I mean its not like upturned wingtips is completely new, but there are just so many small parameters that is impossible to get from a few low-Q images. Anyways, I am just assuming its a proto of sorts.

Its an amazing sequence of a fantastic athlete riding on the next level!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kai Lenny's new foil

Postby BWD » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Looks pretty similar to spotz to me. Sounds reasonable as a starting point. Riders/researchers do tend to try to isolate variables to evaluate changes in tuning and developing new gear, so if Kai has a decent amount of time on a given mast/fuselage/stab, why not use as a platform to develop new front wings.
Given Spotz just closed, maybe their inventory was sold off to others in the foil business?
OTOH, lots of foils more or less look this way, and it is hard to tell too much from a few snaps, of course it could be something else or completely new.
I am sure Kai has the chance to try a lot of gear...

Return to “Hydrofoil”