Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ketos G10 Stabilos

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Ketos G10 Stabilos

Postby faklord » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Just wondered if anybody had any experience with the new (?) Ketos G10 stab wings and how they compare with their carbon counterparts? In particular comparison with the Carbon Stabilos M with Stabilos G10 380.
I’m hoping they provide similar pitch characteristics but with more yaw agility (due to being flat rather than upturned tips)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ketos G10 Stabilos

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 am

faklord wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm
Just wondered if anybody had any experience with the new (?) Ketos G10 stab wings and how they compare with their carbon counterparts? In particular comparison with the Carbon Stabilos M with Stabilos G10 380.
I’m hoping they provide similar pitch characteristics but with more yaw agility (due to being flat rather than upturned tips)

I cant say that I have...

But I got both the M and the S carbon stabilizers, and an even smaller flat one (XS size).

I have been using the "XS" for fun in small waves (with both wavewing sizes), and the foil becomes very lively both in pitch and yaw so fun :D

There is a slight tradeoff somehow it does not feel as "stable" and smooth the same way - but mostly it works just great.

So depending on what I want, I change between the S and XS sometimes.

The left is the wavewing with the S stabilizer, and the right is the waveXL wing with the special flat XS stabilizer (mine is carbon I cut down to 300 mm span and around 200 cm2 size)

5.jpg

I am pretty sure the G10 stabilizers are superfun because of the looseness, and a bit higher AR than mine and a bit more size probably, which is good, and low cost I can see.

No experience with these as said - but are riding my really small flat stabilizer, so have some kind of experience yes.

You got the M stabilizer (433 in span) and looking for the 380 - I can not help you there, in terms of comparing, but I would think the 380 is like the S (375 span) just more lively in terms of yaw.

Dont know if this helps you or not - some might have the G10s and can answer more direct :roll:

8) PF

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am

Peter, thanks for your input. You’ve got too many toys!
Interesting that you cut down a stab. What did you do, if anything, to seal the ends? (I assume the carbon wings have a foam core as they are so light)

Maybe I’ll try Sending steph66 a PM. I notice in the credits at the end of his latest video ‘Interlude’ (http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... &start=230) he is using the small G10 stab.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am

I have cut down front wings earlier too (Zeeko wings), to make smaller and faster wings.

But all, inclusive my flat rear stabilizer, has been full carbon.

I had an early Ketos/Takoon prototype stabilizer, totally flat because it used a stab for yaw stability and nice tracking in turns.

So as the newer stabilizers have swept tips (which makes out for the stab, just less drag overall), it was a no brainer that the old flat wing should be cut down to an XS or XXS wave stabilizer - and it worked.

PS: Tried to sell the original non cut stabilizer at first (got new ones), for almost nothing, a give away symbolic price if anyone needed one - but most are afraid to use something new, and the homebuilders want to do it all themeselves and not get something pre-manufactured I found out, and it makes sense :naughty:

If there was/is a core in some wings, I would cut it down first, then sand it all down to the perfect profile, and glass it over and sand it clean, and paint it black.

It would be a lot more fragile though, risking getting it ripped open if you scratch on the bottom :cry:

I dont think (m)any has foam core close to the tips - it would not be good at least, as you can not just sand it down when cuts.

Prefer to have both stabilizer options, as advantages/disadvantages of both the swept tips and the flat ones.
Might change in time which I prefer the most - we will see.

I am still just an old geek with limited talents, having fun out there :lol:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”