Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Importance of foil weight/float

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Importance of foil weight/float

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi,

Im beginner foiler / experienced kiter and i want to ask you about opinions on importance of foil /whole bottom setup/ weight and buyoancy. I have light custom board /ca 3kg/ and non floating nobile foil /3.3kg/ and from my begginer point of view i can imagine that lighter setup will be more userfriendly and safer. Right now i want start riding strapless and i think with positive float on foil it will be much easier to start.

What is your insight on this?

Also almost no producer state weight nor buyoancy.
So who actualy produce floating foils?

Thank you very much

Tomas

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Importance of foil weight/float

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Given all the other decision parameters one might choose when selecting an expensive piece of sporting equipment of this nature, whether or not it has positive buoyancy would be very low on my list.

I'd also suspect that any foil that floats has a buoyant material in its core, which is anathema to durability and stiffness.

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm

A floaty board with a heavy foil is a PITA to strappless water start. I have a manta and I ride it in straps because I like to jump but if you like strappless you want a set up that you can roll the board on its side easier. I have tried a double agent and even though the foil/mast isn't super light the thin board made strappless starts 10x easier.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Never tried floating foil, but can imagine one disadvantage -- board staying on its side without a rider and floating across the wind. Somebody on this forum reported a weird behavior of his rig going upwind by itself. Is it indeed a problem, or board with floaty foil still follows you obediently like a dog?

Note to equipment reviewers: how about organizing hydrofoil board race :?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mhFTAJvxA

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 pm

I have a foil the is the same density as the board. Its because they are the same materials. Carbon/bamboo. Yes a water start is easy. Chuck the foil on its size and it stays there. Water start at your leasure. Walk it out through the surf floating it on its side also easy. I've never has an issue of it sailing upwind after crashes. In fact with most crashes the board ends up foil down.

Good luck finding a manufacturer making a same density board/foil.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm

a floating foil (board on its side) does indeed sail away from you. Foil down they always truck direct down wind or with the waves.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Ok, so first positive from actual owner. Do also your wing float?
Imo there are foils /production/ made with core /not solid carbon/ but there is no info which ones. Imo for freeride foil with core /not solid carbon/ isnt problem as everything can be just little thicker /mast wing profile/ and wing has lower AR. Also at freeriding wavering speed drag from mast isnt as big factor. Imo board on side will always drift downwind a cannot "self ride" - for me this is big plus

So can we make production foils weight/float - database :)

ill start

NOBILE ZEN FOIL /big freeride wing/ 3.3 kg - non float.

MANY THANKS

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm
a floating foil (board on its side) does indeed sail away from you. Foil down they always truck direct down wind or with the waves.
I didnt know that - thanks for info

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm
I'd also suspect that any foil that floats has a buoyant material in its core, which is anathema to durability and stiffness.
Sorry must chime in and say some of the older Ketos thin boards will stay on their rail and NEVER have fuse sink!
We tested this in a pool.
This SAME set up is still flown often, jumped and works just fine.
It does make sense that a core that floats would seem weaker and if not made well yes, but not all the builds.
It would be an interesting spec feature to list board on side STRUT at fuse on surface in a pool timed to STRUT vertical.
For strapless water starts no question slower fuse sink is helpful.
BTW,
great choice bamboo core!! :thumb: :idea:
And while over all weight does not really affect performance for a noob, as one gets better weight will come into play and less than 5 kilos is SO nice!
R H

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm

revhed wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm
Sorry must chime in and say some of the older Ketos thin boards will stay on their rail and NEVER have fuse sink!
We tested this in a pool.
This SAME set up is still flown often, jumped and works just fine.
It does make sense that a core that floats would seem weaker and if not made well yes, but not all the builds.
It would be an interesting spec feature to list board on side STRUT at fuse on surface in a pool timed to STRUT vertical.
For strapless water starts no question slower fuse sink is helpful.
BTW,
great choice bamboo core!! :thumb: :idea:
And while over all weight does not really affect performance for a noob, as one gets better weight will come into play and less than 5 kilos is SO nice!
R H
Right, but you get what I'm saying in my post right? If you listed every possible comparative feature that one might want to think about carefully before investing in a hydrofoil, the ability for it to float on its side is a very minor feature to use, no?

"This foil isn't the fastest, isn't the easiest to use, isn't the most portable, isn't the cheapest, isn't the most durable, isn't the stiffest, but BOY DOES IT SURE FLOAT ON ITS SIDE LIKE A CHAMPION!!!!"

That's not a hydrofoil I'd want to spend money on.

Return to “Hydrofoil”