Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drysuit or wetsuit if you anticipate a swim?!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Drysuit or wetsuit if you anticipate a swim?!

Postby cwood » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:00 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:51 am
cglazier wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 am
Personally I am very happy with my 4/3 Oneill psycho freak wetsuit.
there's no way you can take a 4/3 down to 33 water 35 air (0 and 1C). Can you? I know the Canadians around here kite it when it's that cold
In the greater Toronto area a number of us kite all year if the water is open....the limiting factor is air temp and floating ice. Ice and foils don't mix. Last week we had a great session with -5 C air and a wind chill of -10 C. The main problem below freezing is that depower and chicken loop ices up....so we go smaller than normal kites.
Excel 6/5 with NP fireline jacket, 7mm excel boots and mitts. Toasty warm....although a face plant that puts water into the hood opening gets your attention. At 5 degrees above 0 I am too warm with that NP on top and go down to a mystic wind breaker. I far prefer this to drysuit and fleece underneath. I always feel the cold transmitting from the thin drysuit to the fleece to my skin. More often than not I am too hot in the wetsuit.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Drysuit or wetsuit if you anticipate a swim?!

Postby edt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Excel 6/5 with NP fireline jacket, 7mm excel boots and mitts.
ok full steamer 6/5 with jacket and 7mm boots, that sounds more like the winter I know! I just bought my first drysuit this year, so I am enjoying it very much. For now I'm not going to go back to the wetsuits when it's around 0c. Seems more comfortable in the fleece and drysuit than the 6/5 and jacket. I never ride when my quick release freezes so once air drops below freezing I am done, though I know there are those who do. I just find it impossible to throw down when I know I can't release the kite. Half a degree above freezing and I am there on the water.

Return to “Hydrofoil”