Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: how do you sand your wings...?

Postby Luchini » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I know that the pro riders using car filler and sand the foils, but I'm curious about gloss finishing. If you sand car filler with fine grit it will get very smooth but probably not as a gloss coating.
Does anyone got experience with a foil in matt and gloss? I tested once a wing and had the feeling the gloss is faster, maybe the matt wasn't sanded enough.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am

I'm crazy confused on sanding...if you keep sanding month after month you are going to eat into the epoxy too much. Are you sanders spraying the entire mast, fuselage, and wings with some type of spray paint then sanding?

bacon2109
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: around Montreal
Style: freeride
Gear: flysurfer, ozone,best,griffin

Postby bacon2109 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 am

from a french racer video on ; http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t5189-le ... nie+freine
Sorry, not all info on the web is in english
On YT, KZDnIQFGt2M title, "ENGIE Kite Tour Douarnenez J2"

At 2 minutes in the video, the runner "Jean Guillaume Rivaud" talks about the ponsage and sharpening of the foils ( ponsage = light sanding)
preparation;
no holes, no uneven surface, clean lines on the leading edge, if so, filler compound.

At 4.25 in the video, he's talking about sanding
. mast and fuselage;
.. form 900-1000 (wet sanding paper)from top to button, up to 4000 - 6000 (for him), with those super fine ,no need to stay with a linear sanding patern
. form his experience, the wings (main + stab) stop with 2000 sanding paper.

Basically, if you can get a shark skin surface on your foil, it's a very good start.
NB. take your precaution sanding carbon fiber , not good for the lungs.....

i'm not a pro but a curious man

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi,

not at all, why should I ?

tks

Kosta

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am
I'm crazy confused on sanding...if you keep sanding month after month you are going to eat into the epoxy too much. Are you sanders spraying the entire mast, fuselage, and wings with some type of spray paint then sanding?
Ideally you're only using rough paper once or twice ever in the life of the foil, specifically to get the manufacturing defects out when you first buy it and then again if you need to make a substantive repair. Otherwise, most sanding is relatively fine grit and is just to handle surface scratches and stuff. In that case, you're applying some sort of filler material like primer or Bondo and then only sanding until the filler is flush and blended with the adjacent surfaces. That's why Bondo is a better choice for most scratches because you can spot-apply it in a smaller area than spray paint so there's less universal sanding to get your desired finish.

Return to “Hydrofoil”