Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Spitfire club

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 am

My wings are not reversible. I'd have to make wings to reverse it then my fuse is also not ideal for backwards action either. Its all pretty hard to give it a go, which is kinda what Nico is suggesting why other manufactueres haven't dived into it yet. Theres still plenty to learn on my current set up. So canards will have to wait for me.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:59 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

The transition for me from the Carver to Spitfire was very easy. I'd recommend starting with the XLW wings or the XLW front wing + standard rear wing. Save the standard wings for after you have Spitfire dialed in.

Well . . . I have ridden the spitfire twice now with the XLW wings and once with the XLW front wing + standard rear wing.

Am really starting to feel the carving power of the canard setup.

with the XLW front wing + standard rear wing . . . I felt that I had to ride with my back foot a bit further forward for better pitch stability. The water starts straight up onto the foil worked well today. I must say that I do not use a lot of rear foot pressure on these starts.

If we get some better wind tomorrow, I might try the smaller wing set and see how they go. I gather a bit more forward speed needed on starts and also more speed through the turns. We get rolling swell but not waves at my local.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:27 am
Spitfire has been out for vet a year now?

I'm shocked no other manufacturer has a canard foil in production.

I'm shocked no one has tried a canard SUP/Surf foil (especially since everyone likes the XLW wings better on the spitfire! Just keep going in that direction!)
They have. Ierofoils Amphidrome (sold by Takoon) has a canard option. Looks like clever engineering to make it convertible between regular and canard setup but pretty niche so a real lack of reviews. Not a well proven manufacturer unfortunately which is why few are willing to take the plunge.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 am

Have a friend been wanting to give foiling a try “to see if I’d like it” but currently only have my Std. Spitfire.
Couple days ago after instilling in him that learning or even giving the Spitfire a go as first try of foiling was the hard way to go, I handed it over and put on my instructor hat.
Only for half hour and only getting to just up and control board direction so as not to either round up due to mast fin effect or roll board over again due to mast side load.
Best things were that so far no different to normal foil, except that the only leg contact was while standing on bottom. Not having that old style foil bits hanging out back saved a few knicks.
If he keeps at it as he is saying he may be the first Foiler to be in the club with no hang ups.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 am

Had a great session with the XLW wings.

The sharp turning allows you to more easily keep line tension when turning in dodgy wind and the more used to the balance you get, the more amazing this canard setup performs :)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 pm

The pocket board and the XLW Spitfire.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Back in the club after a spell of riding another foil for a while due to its shorter mast allowing much more riding in one of our main spots. Tired of having to wait for the biggest tides or to walk a lot to reach the small strip of deeper water. Anyway, long story short, but decided to chop off my mast, and it's now a 75xlw spitfire. Short session on flat water, but felt good to ride it again. Quite pitch sensitive and very responsive to rider input, yet feeling pretty solid once locked on track. Feeling safer also in the crashes. Fun times ahead!

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 am

Is anyone else using 2 inline straps and are they finding as they get more time on the Spitfire that moving straps back seems more and more comfortable?
Or is it just me?

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 am
Is anyone else using 2 inline straps and are they finding as they get more time on the Spitfire that moving straps back seems more and more comfortable?
Or is it just me?

I started strapless and then went to single inline front then went to two front angled straps. I have yet to put on the back strap but have noticed that I ride the spitfire with my rear foot further back (in the place recommended by Nicolas) than what I generally did on the Blue and White with the carver.

codifilo
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

Removed. I'm sorry. I posted in wrong thread.

Return to “Hydrofoil”