Style: Wave
Gear: .

Low Aspect to High Aspect

Postby NYKiter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:46 pm

How long did it take you....

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Low Aspect to High Aspect

Postby grigorib » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Instantly just as the instant was disappointment.
For freeride a set of low aspect, high area wings is irreplaceable for lightwind, instant take-off and ability of almost stopping in turns if you wish to.

Remember those comments "550 and 548 wings are great but Lift 150 is true lightwind wing". Or watch Greg Drexler play on his Lift 130...

No wonder manufacturers are back with low aspect surfing/pumping wings you can ride like that.
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Just a few sessions. Don’t believe everything you read here. The forum has become dominated by guys who seem to like slow turny stuff. I think it depends on where you live. Personally I love race foils for free riding. Once you have the skills they deliver amazing low end and speed and they jump to the moon. I love that knife edge feeling of pushing it as far as I can manage off the wind. I have a medium aspect foil I pull out when there are some waves but once the surf gets any good it’s hard to find a beach I can launch from anyway. So many awesome second hand race foils for sale yet guys are dropping the same cash or even more for a crappy aluminium foil when they could get so much more from a used Spotz or Sword.
Stick with it and you will reap the rewards.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:49 pm

For me low aspect wings are boring unless its to play in waves "or learning ofc" . Medium aspect wings are the most fun, where you can get good speed and acceleration and the foil still have a slow stall speed. High aspect are also very fun, just not for everything/everyday use, i think.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 pm

For me neither. I started mid aspect and I'm quite happy with that. However if money was no object i'd have high aspect as well! Don't think I need any slower than my mid aspect foil.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Same for me. Unless you like going super snail slow, I feel low aspect wings are too draggy. Medium aspect wings can be almost as slow but with a much better glide and speed range.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:07 pm

I think it is a bit difficult to define "Low Aspect" ?

When kitehydrofoiling started for real worldwide about 5 years ago, many learned on low aspect wings, like the Carafino or similar, REALLY low aspect.

When they changed from these, to a small high AR Spotz race wing t.ex, they all said it was like "learning all over from the start" again, almost :roll:

But things have changed a lot...

Today many low AR wings are quite fast (and not as low AR as back then, so I think most are actually medium AR today), and race hydrofoils are way more stable, as stability is improved in order to be able to handle more power better, and also because design in general are more developed now.

So IMO there is not that much difference today, going from low AR to high AR race wings - not that big a deal and to your question: "How long did it take you", I will say anyone who can ride a low AR can jump on a smaller high AR and ride straight away no problems :thumb:
Of course carving and jibing and so on will take time to learn - but to just "ride", easy.

Having said that, those trying to learn on these when never having hydrofoiled, some learns on these without much fuzz, but a few borrows an "easier" wing while learning (having tried the race ones for some days), and then jump to their race gear later after having learned on something easier.

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Here's my take on aspect for hydrofoils.

Low aspect spade style.

Mid aspect

High aspect

This picture has em all in one

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 am

All good yes.

Just looking to understand (in weeks or months) how long it took folks...

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am

Lots of variables there, the first is what can you do on your low aspect wing? Can you do all the jibes and tacks specially in low winds? If yes then ill say the high AR will be just a matter of time, not much. But for learning the high AR one makes things much harder.

Return to “Hydrofoil”