Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Why pro-riders move the hip forwards?

Postby windmaker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm

With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm
With straps you need to shift your weight to compensate the push from the front wing, without straps you just move your feet :)

I dont think so, only if you got a bad adjusted foil (like many beginnerfoils are as easier for the very first rides), or a very different personal liking.

I really think most racers got their foils trimmed very neutral - as this will be easier to control at high speeds, and also have low drag.

Even IF it was the case, that you got a (IMO) misadjusted foil where you need more front foot pressure at higher speeds - then it does not explain why racers move the hip forwards, as on upwind courses they ride the slowest, compared to downwind so they would actually need more rear foot pressure then, going upwind :roll:

I agree and also think the reason is much simpler, two reasons for "twisting" the hip/body:

1. It is the natural way to "drive" upwind, turn your body and the rest will follow in optimal sync.
2. Racing, you also want to look upwind for the other guys/girls, or if in front, the mark or the wind shifts.

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

It's also about locking your rear knee straight to make a direct coonnection with the board. Then the front leg is flexed to control ride height. Locking your rear leg straight puts your hips forward in the position shown.

I've noticed the biggest difference between me (mid fleet) and the top riders going upwind is when there is a shift or a gust. In a steady state our speeds are close, but when there is a shift or gust they turn it into board speed or heading changes instantly while I absorb the impact with my knees then readjust. Every shift and gust I lose a few meters.

When your rear leg is locked that extra power from a gust goes right into the board and foil. It takes some getting used to, and rear strap moves back to make it work. I'm still working on it.

f2020
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil Performance and freeride
Gear: Taaroa Sword RS Ti 2018 UHM
Taaroa Sword RS 2017
Taaroa Sword2 Race Wing 2016
Ozone R1V2
Cabrinha Switchblades
RRD Passion MK9
Brand Affiliation: NONE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby f2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am

Because on an hydrofoil, the front leg acts as a spring that controls the horizontal level of the board.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 am

Maybe wrong question? Maybe their hips aren't forward. Maybe their torsos are leaned back.

Maybe their legs and foot straps are just where they want them, but because of the relatively lower speeds going upwind they need less front foot pressure, so they lean their torsos back to compensate?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm
windmaker wrote:

I dont think so, only if you got a bad adjusted foil (like many beginnerfoils are as easier for the very first rides), or a very different personal liking.

I really think most racers got their foils trimmed very neutral - as this will be easier to control at high speeds, and also have low drag.

Even IF it was the case, that you got a (IMO) misadjusted foil where you need more front foot pressure at higher speeds - then it does not explain why racers move the hip forwards, as on upwind courses they ride the slowest, compared to downwind so they would actually need more rear foot pressure then, going upwind :roll:

I agree and also think the reason is much simpler, two reasons for "twisting" the hip/body:

1. It is the natural way to "drive" upwind, turn your body and the rest will follow in optimal sync.
2. Racing, you also want to look upwind for the other guys/girls, or if in front, the mark or the wind shifts.

8) PF
I challenge you to move your hips forward without shifting your weight!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

windmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm
windmaker wrote:

8) PF
I challenge you to move your hips forward without shifting your weight!
If you're just moving your feet forward, you're giving up control IMO.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Science: it's because racing kite hydrofoils causes previously silent windsurfing genes to be expressed ;)

francis luengo
Medium Poster
Gear: moses , cabrinha , ozone.

Postby francis luengo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 pm

BWD wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm
Science: it's because racing kite hydrofoils causes previously silent windsurfing genes to be expressed ;)
:lol2:

francis luengo
Medium Poster
Gear: moses , cabrinha , ozone.

Postby francis luengo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 pm

first race rule :
the more you move your hips forwards , the more you go upwind.
:thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”