Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what size kite to learn, 215lbs, 10-14kts?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
oz43
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skeena River
Favorite Beaches: coche, OBX, bulabog, la ventana/Los barriles, Squamish spit, Phan Rang area
Style: Freeride/waves
Gear: Buncha old stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what size kite to learn, 215lbs, 10-14kts?

Postby oz43 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm
Hello oz43

No, longer lines wont give you less depower.

If you are seriously overpowered, maybe on purpose for speed and jumping, yes, longer lines will make you able to ride in more wind, as the power can be "shut down" very fast.

But otherwiser, you have the very same power with short and long lines when the kite is parked - difference is, that with longer lines you get so much more power for the takeoff, for a longer time, thus way easier.
Apart from, as I wrote, the ability to keep the kite from going into the water....

So not in doubt, use longer lines and your 12.

You write that you dont know how much you are gonna foil ?

He hee, when you have learned, you almost dont want to do anything else, trust me :naughty:

8) PF

Ok I gotcha now, ya that initial power I will need for sure. I'm like a sea anchor in low wind normally so i will do that 😉.

Unfortunately where I live the harbour is completely commercial/industrial with no catchment, no beaches and strong currents. The outer islands could be interesting but even more exposure there, but they have beaches at least. Our main spot is is a shallow, tidal river, with sand bars and sometimes debris. It's a sick free ride spot as it combines powerful thermals with planet of the apes type islands and channels, lots of small kite flat water pockets, but not suitable to foil... there are some lakes inland that may work, but likely the foil will be mostly a travel rig, hence the split board. I hope I catch the stoke though for foiling. Thanks for the tips.

oz43
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skeena River
Favorite Beaches: coche, OBX, bulabog, la ventana/Los barriles, Squamish spit, Phan Rang area
Style: Freeride/waves
Gear: Buncha old stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what size kite to learn, 215lbs, 10-14kts?

Postby oz43 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 am

skideeppow wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm
I'm 215 and am riding the ghost whisperer. I currently use my drifters to foil with. 7,9 and 12.
I am looking to get a air USB ultra in a 12 because in light wind the drifter is pretty heavy and hard to launch and relaunch. The ultra is so much lighter and better for that super light wind.
I would think if you are foiling with a 17 and it goes in the water, there is no way it will relaunch.
On another note, what do you think of your 12m drifter? Turning speed? Have you had it in surf? How does it loop? Does it pull much? I'm thinking about a new 12 or 13m for TT/Strapless.

Cheers

Return to “Hydrofoil”