Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gin Shaman for light wind hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate
Brand Affiliation: None

Gin Shaman for light wind hydrofoiling?

Postby mikesids » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:53 am

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any experience using the new Shaman single skin for light wind foiling ? I know it is mostly supposed to be a snow and land kite but apparently they did test it for water use and it went ok - they are not making any bold claims for water relaunch though , so I guess it will be the usual foil equation ie either it will relaunch or you will swim home. The kite is so light though that it will probably have the least likelihood of hitting the water in the first place vs other types of design (esp during a lull).

I just saw the clip below - the rider is using a 6m Shaman and his mate ( who is also foiling) is using a 12m LEI in around 10 knots . Very compelling....as is the water relaunch video I also attached for the single skin Flysurfer Peak. Can be done by the looks of it, very light kites want to fly...

Am still looking for that holy grail kite for 5-10knots.....

https://vimeo.com/241235458

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jT3k__T84

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gin Shaman for light wind hydrofoiling?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am

The same question has been asked several times about the Flysurfer Peak2 kite, a single skin kite.

I wouldnt mind a kite that is not relaunchable, as in the winds I use these they can not anyways, and if a single skin it is much faster to roll it up if in the water, and dry again on land - also faster to pack down, and lighter so will hang extremely well.

Downsides are probably:
More flapping depending on design.
Less performance meaning less peak power for getting going in marginal winds.
Not as stable and firm, as no trapped air to keep the frame rigid.

So I think it is all up to if above losses mean anything, compared to the obvious advantage in simplicity and weight and speed of rigging packing up/down :wink:

You could do a search here on the Peak2 also.

8) PF

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Peter,
The Gin design seems to have addressed the downsides you listed ( flapping , power, stability ) - it has "closed cells" at the wingtips to prevent flapping during loops , and reports are that it is powerful . If someone is powered using a 6m single skin when another rider is on a 12m LEI that tells me plenty about its power ( though not its top end)...

It seems that they are positioning it as a more stable , less flappy Peak. Similar in concept to the Monjet Ninox ie a lightweight hybrid design. Shame the Monjet project seems to have gone quiet since the impressive Kitefinder video....

Cheers

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 am

Does the Shaman have some kind of drain or dirt out in the tip cells? It looks like the design would be likely to hold some water if it did get in the cells.

In such light wind is better to fly a kite that will stay out of the water and also to prepare for the eventual swim. Im interested in this project and also comparison between Shaman and Peak3

Return to “Hydrofoil”