Kite for 18+ knots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite for 18+ knots

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Well thats MY experience, dunno about others :)

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 pm

But it clearly is something that a foilkite won't have.
I think the fabric/cloth (trailing edge) of LEIs often show more wear than on foilkites too.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:52 am

PS: Remember, this is average wind we are talking about - many seems to overestimate the actual wind. But as it fits pretty well on Pedro's experiences, I hope my input could have some value - eventhough I know many write they ride way bigger kites yes, and a very different situation then.

8) PF
Discussing average wind speed without a reference to gust/lull is pretty useless in my opinion. This is probably why you think people are over estimating the wind speed. Most people discuss and include some gust lull information.
Infact discussing average wind and making recommendations for kite size without a consideration for gust/lull is potentially dangerous.

What if you had an average wind of 20 knots with gusts to 35 knots Or average wind of 20 with lulls to 10. I would use an 8m or 6m for example 1 and a 4m for example 2.

Its better to discuss min/max wind than average wind. That way you get a true understanding of kite selection.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:35 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:

PS: Remember, this is average wind we are talking about - many seems to overestimate the actual wind. But as it fits pretty well on Pedro's experiences, I hope my input could have some value - eventhough I know many write they ride way bigger kites yes, and a very different situation then.

8) PF

Discussing average wind speed without a reference to gust/lull is pretty useless in my opinion. This is probably why you think people are over estimating the wind speed. Most people discuss and include some gust lull information.
Infact discussing average wind and making
recommendations for kite size without a consideration for gust/lull is potentially dangerous.

What if you had an average wind of 20 knots with gusts to 35 knots Or average wind of 20 with lulls to 10. I would use an 8m or 6m for example 1 and a 4m for example 2.

Its better to discuss min/max wind than average wind. That way you get a true understanding of kite selection.
Where are those terrible winds you are kiting so i dont go there ? :)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:09 pm

We are experiencing winds as mad as you could imagine, and due to gusts and lulls of alien proportions kite choice has been a lottery, and for the first time in 15 years I had to suffer the embarrassing but welcome attention of the rescue boat.
And yesterday when very high waves were added into the mix everyone who ventured out came back in the rescue boat, and today after deciding it was better to go out overpowered on my 8 Reo than repeat my underpowered rescue session on my 6mtr ended in massive superman wipe outs and wimping back to shore for my 6mtr only to find myself looping the kite like mad to stay flying in the lulls and pointing downwind,which In the offshore winds was not ideal.
So a small kite with Massine range to cope with lulls and gusts and the wipeouts(slack line syndrome) that high waves add into the mix would be good for me.
My wife Pauline says she knows the answer😘--- use my Twintip and stop scaring the crap out of her on such silly days🤔

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm
plummet wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF

recommendations for kite size without a consideration for gust/lull is potentially dangerous.

10-20 or 20-35 isnt terrible wind! both are very easily ridable with correct kite selection and skill. When discussing kite selection we need to consider the gust/lull. If you do not you will end up in potentially dangerous situations.

Last week I had an extreme example. Average wind of 35 knots. Lulls to 30 gusts to 65 knots!. Now if I had not considered the gusts I would have potentially died attempting to kite based on average wind only.
Peter would call this a 35 knot day. I would call it a 30-65 knot day. He would consider that I would be overstating the wind speed for the day because I am not discussing average wind. When infact i'm discusssing the wind range.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm
plummet wrote:

10-20 or 20-35 isnt terrible wind! both are very easily ridable with correct kite selection and skill. When discussing kite selection we need to consider the gust/lull. If you do not you will end up in potentially dangerous situations.

Last week I had an extreme example. Average wind of 35 knots. Lulls to 30 gusts to 65 knots!. Now if I had not considered the gusts I would have potentially died attempting to kite based on average wind only.
Peter would call this a 35 knot day. I would call it a 30-65 knot day. He would consider that I would be overstating the wind speed for the day because I am not discussing average wind. When infact i'm discusssing the wind range.
10-20 is a terrible wind, 20-35 its abit more acceptable :) But yes if its THAT gusty you cannot apply any table really.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:09 pm
We are experiencing winds as mad as you could imagine, and due to gusts and lulls of alien proportions kite choice has been a lottery, and for the first time in 15 years I had to suffer the embarrassing but welcome attention of the rescue boat.
And yesterday when very high waves were added into the mix everyone who ventured out came back in the rescue boat, and today after deciding it was better to go out overpowered on my 8 Reo than repeat my underpowered rescue session on my 6mtr ended in massive superman wipe outs and wimping back to shore for my 6mtr only to find myself looping the kite like mad to stay flying in the lulls and pointing downwind,which In the offshore winds was not ideal.
So a small kite with Massine range to cope with lulls and gusts and the wipeouts(slack line syndrome) that high waves add into the mix would be good for me.
My wife Pauline says she knows the answer😘--- use my Twintip and stop scaring the crap out of her on such silly days🤔
Yeah, man those days a mental. But I reckon its better on the foil than the tt or sb with real variable winds. You have a bigger usable wind range and can be going upwind in a lot lower winds. So you can handle the lulls way better than a traditional board. I had a very similar day recently. Cross off and very holy on the inside. I have to loop and fly the kite like crazy and take some beatings in the waves to get out. Then once out past the wind shadow, it was a silly 10-25 knots. However, I had rigged the 6m and could loop the lulls and charge the gusts. In the end, i had a blast. All other kiters on traditional boards had given up!....

To get back into the beach with holy wind on the inside in cross off conditions I haul arse as fast as possible to keep as much apparent wind as possible, That usually gets me to the beach. If i can time a wave/swell and ride that in even better, that gives me an additional push of apparent when i get to the stupid wind on the inside

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

10-20 is a terrible wind, 20-35 its abit more acceptable :) But yes if its THAT gusty you cannot apply any table really.
Why? is awesome 8m wind on the hydrofoil!

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:51 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Why? is awesome 8m wind on the hydrofoil!
No, awesome 8m wind is side-onshore 13-15 knots , for freeride that is :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”