Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Delta Hydrofoil's George Hradil talks foil design and the future of the sport

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Delta Hydrofoil's George Hradil talks foil design and the future of the sport

Postby bigcane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:31 pm

James, i am a big fan of open class and i realize that most of the cost of competing at a high level is not gear related. I competed in the 96 games so i know. The intention of the post was to say that if we did want to create an additional foiling class where the focus was on keeping the gear costs down, then by controlling a few key variables like materials and mast thickness, then that would probably do the trick. No need to go all the way to monopoly one design.

Mossy, yes Georges talk was great for insights on foiling in general which i really liked. But the FRX was also being discussed and i think most foil racers are worried about NP's efforts to monopolize the gear selection if kiting gets into the games.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Delta Hydrofoil's George Hradil talks foil design and the future of the sport

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 pm

bigcane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:31 pm
i think most foil racers are worried about NP's efforts to monopolize the gear selection if kiting gets into the games.
If George is designing the foils, there's nothing to be worried about. It's hard for me to express my enthusiasm for his work product without coming off as a shill or inciting brand rivalry, but his stuff is insanely good and NP was really smart to work with him.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting.

Carafinos a great foil!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 am

NYKiter wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm
Thanks for posting.

Carafinos a great foil!
Wait until you ride one, or better yet, watch one pass you on the race course :lol:

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm

I own one...

He said they are garbage....but he learned on one.... :cleanear:

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Guys, thanks for the posts and all the comments!
I found this topic while searching for any info on NP FRX OD. My interest was triggered after I heard a guy on FRX kit (inflatable kite) won over all the ram air kite rivals, mostly Ozone!
Well, that's already something!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:32 pm

What is FRX ?

If you google Neil Pryde and FRX very close to nothing pops up...

Can imagine it could be a foil one design class, but kitefoil or windfoil (if correct that is) ?

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:47 pm
Guys, thanks for the posts and all the comments!
I found this topic while searching for any info on NP FRX OD. My interest was triggered after I heard a guy on FRX kit (inflatable kite) won over all the ram air kite rivals, mostly Ozone!
Well, that's already something!
What competition did you hear this from?

bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bigcane » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:40 pm

I think it was the fort to battery race https://www.facebook.com/SailingAnarchy ... 002665375/
Looks like the guy on the Fone foil kite who was leading crashed pretty hard halfway thru

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:42 pm

I raced alongside some FRX riders at the Charleston Fort to Battery race this weekend. Bottom line, when it's really windy they are just as fast but in normal conditions (10-20 kts) foil kites are noticeably faster.

The guy who won the distance race, Jason D'agostino, was on an FRX hydrofoil and inflatable kite (9m). It was averaging 22 knots gusting to 30 kts with 3-4 ft chop at some points of the 4 mile downwind race. The video of the race is available on Sailing Anarchy Facebook page. Aaron on foil kite looked faster in the video, but he crashed. I crashed multiple times. It was rough!

Because it was so windy, the inflatable wasnt at a disadvantage to the foil kites. Actually, the guy who came in second, only a few seconds behind was on a twintip and 12m inflatable! When its gusting to 30 you dont really need efficiency to go downwind.

We did some course racing in lighter conditions on Friday and Sunday. The FRX is pretty much the same hydrofoil as the Delta hydrofoil that I was riding, with an extra mm or 2 on strut thickness. In the 12-16 its range I was ahead of Jason many races even though he typically beats me every race when we are both on foil kites. So the foil kites are definitely faster, but the one design concept is interesting. I dont know if they'll be able to get current racers to give up their foil kites.

Some info on the FRX:
-Sounds like they are still finalizing the details on the kites, but should be an affordable package.
-The foil is the delta hydrofoil design being mass produced by Neil pryde/Cabrinha. Same with the board
-The kites are three sizes only, 9, 11, and 14

Return to “Hydrofoil”