WestMichiganKite
Rare Poster
Gear: Blade/Axis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alpine/Axis/Slingshot-Moses

Postby WestMichiganKite » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Does anyone have any experience comparing the Alpine Carbon Series to the Axis Maroro to the Ghost/Moses?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Re: Alpine/Axis/Slingshot-Moses

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Alpinefoil are one of the early French pioneers... Their platform with the early Alpine 4.x - 4.5 was outstanding years before any other company got into foils. Much of their work in recent years has been refinement with netter construction techniques such as the use of Titanium for fuselages and such togetherwith cheaper versions of their product such as aluminum construction. A huge selection of wings to suit any riding style and out of the box, you are getting a nice decent foil.

Moses is somewhat similar to Alpine with a large selection of wings together with various masts - persohally I have steered clear of Moses as friends had mast break and lost foil. Other pics here showing mast breakage and their foam cores.

Slingshot seem to have issues with quality and I have seen a bunch of rails on boards broken and other issues.

Axis is new to foiling and I have yet to see one first hand. MikesLab, Lyft, Levitaz, Alpine, Moses, make up a majority of foils with the occasional Slingshot and Cabrinha.

IMO -

Many manufacturers are using mass produced boards and it makes way more sense to purchase a custom board built locally which in many cases is the same price as a manufacturer board built in Asia. Jellyfish, Camet are custom manufacturers just to name two.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm

I am mostly selling and riding Moses as I like the overall package and obviously do not like to have to deal with issues, that is why it works the best for me. And it is more than just a single foil here and there.
Also have the AXIS Carbon foil here, plus a few others.
Can not comment on Alpine really.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 pm
Alpinefoil are one of the early French pioneers... Their platform with the early Alpine 4.x - 4.5 was outstanding years before any other company got into foils. Much of their work in recent years has been refinement with netter construction techniques such as the use of Titanium for fuselages and such togetherwith cheaper versions of their product such as aluminum construction. A huge selection of wings to suit any riding style and out of the box, you are getting a nice decent foil.

Moses is somewhat similar to Alpine with a large selection of wings together with various masts - persohally I have steered clear of Moses as friends had mast break and lost foil. Other pics here showing mast breakage and their foam cores.

Slingshot seem to have issues with quality and I have seen a bunch of rails on boards broken and other issues.

Axis is new to foiling and I have yet to see one first hand. MikesLab, Lyft, Levitaz, Alpine, Moses, make up a majority of foils with the occasional Slingshot and Cabrinha.

IMO -

Many manufacturers are using mass produced boards and it makes way more sense to purchase a custom board built locally which in many cases is the same price as a manufacturer board built in Asia. Jellyfish, Camet are custom manufacturers just to name two.
Good points made here. Agree on the board comment. Moses for 18 is solid core. Even Alpine has some foam core. I have seen way more Alpine breakage here than Moses. Moses I have seen one mast and one ghost whisperer wing.....and as a group we are EXTREMELY hard on gear. I have literally thousands of boosts on my current Moses gear and 0 issues (~20 miles of air on woo). My boosting is sessions averaging 10m over hundreds of jumps. I am starting to get a heel dent on my T60 board and will move to a custom bullet proof board soon. Stay with the larger providers and actual manufacturers like Moses and Alpine and you will get better support over the term of ownership.

WestMichiganKite
Rare Poster
Gear: Blade/Axis
Been thanked: 0

Postby WestMichiganKite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:35 am

Thank you for all the information! I definitely like the wide range of wings for Alpine and Moses. Still looking for a little more on Axis.

Frank, do you like the Moses over the Axis? Pros/Cons?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:35 am

WestMichiganKite wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:35 am
Thank you for all the information! I definitely like the wide range of wings for Alpine and Moses. Still looking for a little more on Axis.

Frank, do you like the Moses over the Axis? Pros/Cons?

If seeking a wide range of products, and particularly WINGS, Alpine and Moses are great, Axis apparently more of a "onestyle horse".

But dont leave out the two "big ones" in this respect, Zeeko and Ketos - they got loads of wings too, extremely versatile :thumb:

8) PF

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am

If you go for an Alpine Carbon or an older Moses Vorace be aware that the mast is not vertical, it has either a fwd or aft angle, i guess to make it cut the water better? This does mean that you can end up on the limits of your foot strap and tracks just to get a balanced ride. Its not an issue if it works on your board, but if you change to another board it may not work. I have a Vorace 2016 so have experienced it for myself. Vertical masts will fit almost any board with any wing, within reason, so are a better bet.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm on a 2016 Moses and it's holding up well. Reasonable prices and good selection of solid performance.
Don't forget Levitaz, they have a nice range too, but a bit more expensive.
Ketos has a great line too, even if the website is a bit strange.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Just to add in another fact that when I first was told about it I was slightly disbelieving,
But it came from a user of a Alpine foil who sails on lake Geneva with others who also have the beautiful looking Alpine foil.
He was asking me how I found my Moses 4 bolt fastening and was I happy with its strength, this is when he told me others at at Lake Geneva had added a leash from the rear footstraps to the neck of the mast as some had experienced a breakage at the connector point(a one bolt design on a Tuttle style fixing)
This was a few months ago, then this other guy here on Flag Beach has turned up for a 2 month holiday, and after he carried his Alpine gear from the water I went over to admire the foil as it looked so well designed,highly polished multi coloured parts, it was then I discovered a neatly installed added extra, ,--
Yes you guessed it, a leash line from the rear foot strap over the rear of the board to the mast head under the board.
It might save the complete foil if it was to break off from the board, but sailing it back would be interesting,

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Dont know about Axis, but a few guys have Alpine Foil gear where i kite, ive tested them, good foils but way more expensive then Moses for example, and i dont see any benefit on the extra price.

Return to “Hydrofoil”