Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More tacking questions

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

More tacking questions

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 am

Couple questions...I'm now placing my front foot in the strap 90% of the time and in decent position after that, but how in the hell are you all getting your back foot in that strap...are you not doing it and going without it or are you getting it in the strap?

Also, my kite redirect is much stronger now and helps out a ton...the problem in learning is you DON'T need the kite redirect until your feet are placed in the right spot. For instance it doesn't help AT ALL if you can't get your feet in the right place to have a strong redirect b/c you will only get worked off the board unless your are fundamentally prepared for it. Because of this reason I feel I just learned this step, f***....This is such a tough move, I really don't have a recipe of any advice for anyone b/c it's such a touchy move that nothing works unless you have each step accomplished. Hell, I'm at least 1000 attempts in an finally got my front foot in the strap but can't get my back foot in the strap nor is my back foot getting to the center of the board regardless, brutal.

Should I give up on placing the back foot in the strap or keep on with the brain damage? Don't get me wrong I like the challenge, but I'm frustrated.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Re: More tacking questions

Postby cglazier » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Just move your foot back to near (in front of) the back strap. You can put it in later.
:wink: CG

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Before I started tacking, I practiced moving my rear foot into and out of the rear strap. This made it easier to put my rear foot into the strap after tacks/gybes.

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm

cglazier wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm
Just move your foot back to near (in front of) the back strap. You can put it in later.
+1. This is what I do. I step my back foot on top of the front screw for the back foot strap. I actually ride like this until I go for a jump and then quickly jam my foot in the strap then send it.

If you really want to get both feet in the strap I find it comes down to timing of the kite lifting you straight up at zenith as you do the foot transition.

Also try taking your foot in and out of the straps while riding. It will help your balance and muscle memmory.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

One important thing - remember to have your rear strap really far back.

So you have pleasant trim standing in front of the strap :thumb:

There is no problem with the trim when in both straps, even when the rear is really far back (compared to strapless), so quite important IMO both for flying jibes and tacks.
Also goes for windfoiling btw.

8) Peter

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 am

nismo98 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm
cglazier wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm
+1. This is what I do. I step my back foot on top of the front screw for the back foot strap. I actually ride like this until I go for a jump and then quickly jam my foot in the strap then send it.

If you really want to get both feet in the strap I find it comes down to timing of the kite lifting you straight up at zenith as you do the foot transition.

Also try taking your foot in and out of the straps while riding. It will help your balance and muscle memmory.
I rode off yesterday after my first successful tack while almost sinking...nonetheless, it was my first tack...my back foot was resting on the edge of the strap....HOW IN THE HELL are you able to get the foot into the strap while riding? It felt like I was gonna eat shiitt every time I tried to pull my back foot up a little and move it into the strap?

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 am

Learn to lean on the kite. You should be able to move your back foot in and out of the strap while riding using the kite for support. Riding with kite way low makes this hard.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:45 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 am
HOW IN THE HELL are you able to get the foot into the strap while riding? It felt like I was gonna eat shiitt every time I tried to pull my back foot up a little and move it into the strap?
Haha, yeah this happened to me too. I finally started landing the tack after hundreds of failed attempts, and then I realize I don't know how to get my back foot back in the strap while foiling! Don't worry, it is easier than learning to tack :D

I don't really know how I do it, now that I think about it. If you get the kite high, as borist said, it makes it a lot easier. Otherwise, I think I do a bit of a pump on the back foot. This unwaits it for a second to lift it up and into the strap quickly. Hard to remember though since it's second nature now. I'll try to figure it out next time I'm on the water.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks guys we got a nice south smooth wind tomorrow and I can work on it. I'll keep the kite high, lean, and try a small pump and see what works best. I'm getting close to tacking with a water touchdown, regardless I'm seeing the light and getting excited. Twin tip doesn't even enter my mind right now b/c I can see the light. One day I'm gonna go for a session and not get wet until I feel like doing so :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”