kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil board leash

Postby kruzlifix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Well, I was talking about a low volume board and not a fall (you noticed: it was diving like a brick.) Also not using a „leash“ while kiting, only in situations wit no wind, kite down and maybe waves or current so you will lose your board if not attached.

Btw I also ride a moses t 60. but I cannot tow it with a leash attached to the rear. The rear stabilizer is tilting the board up and it floates sidewise. You can tow it behind you easily only with the leash attached to the front.

Well anyhow. Probably most of us realize that a foilboard only glides well in forward direction and no in reverse! That is why some peoples prefer to have an attachment on the front. And as „foil“ noticed it should be to slightly to one side so it does not hit you, when there is suddenly wind again.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 pm

I still dont get it ?

Why would you EVER want to tow a board ??? (your own board that is...)

If you got it in a leash, and wind is too light to relaunch after a kite crash, you are way better off using the board to either sit on (no matter how small), or have your hand around the board when drifting.

This way you have either good overview and plesant as you dont "drown" (well, you know what I mean...), and you can have the board tilted if your arm around it, so when you reach low water or rocks, you dont scratch the foil as you could if towed after you.

Furthermore, as noted, you have a much better chance of relaunching if a gust comes, and at least it is comfortable as opposed to being deep in the water for a long time, where NOTHING is fun anymore :(

8) PF

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 pm

sorry, Peter that I am not clear in explaining and you don’t get it....
it is not so much about towing (that was just to demonstrate that a foilboard only more or less goes without lot of resistance in one direction) but rather not loosing your board while trying to relaunch in suboptimal wind condition. if there are waves but no wind, you can very quickly loose your board and it could end up on a reef. It certainly depends on where you are.
and if you finally give up the idea of relaunch and maybe there is enough wind for a self-rescue? but for this i am too clumsy to do it siting on the foilboard (I think I could practise that, but may be I am already to old) and I always needed both my hands to hold on to the kite. I probably could do it kind of lying n the foilboard. But the easiest for me is actually towing (yippie! that is pretty much the only occasion for me when towing your own board comes in handy) the foilboard behind me....and go very slowly.... not much wind anyway...
And if you want to pack up your kite? Ok, I would prefer doing it sitting on my board, but hopefully at that time the board is still close by....

Anyway, with the kite in the water and the foilboard is drifting away, (without having a leash) I would probably decide do separate from the kite and rather chase and rescue the more expensive board.....

Well, again all I am saying is, if you want to avoid your foilboard from difting away and you don‘t have it between your legs and you need both hands it it is better to have the leash attached to somewhere in the front than at the rear of the foilboard.
But this is, after all, my personal preference.
Andreas

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 pm

I think I'll give up this idea entirely. I've surfed a lot when I was a kid, do I'll go out and straddle my board.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 pm

I personally know 3, three guys who sure wished they would have had and used some form of leash so they still had their KBHF.
By the way all 3 are very skilled pilots, shit happens.
Bright even day glow colored board helps tons but even still....
Strange NEVER even considered sitting on my board and most likely will never........
Seems a leash velcro attached at the nose top coiled is a valid option?
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”