Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot H4 vs H2

Postby Kiterdoug » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Anyone have experience riding both wings? I am 200lbs and want one for behind the boat (small 17' skiff with a 60Hp Mercury) and super low wind days when I am using the Ozone Chrono V2 18m.

I have tried and like the H2 on a kite and behind the boat and like it.

But I like the idea of the H4 being more carvy and being able to create lift by turning it back and forth.

Thanks in advance.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Re: Slingshot H4 vs H2

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 am

they both lift the same, h2 just wants to go in a straight line, hard to really carve

h4 is really carvy, personally as someone who knows how to foil found the h2 boring and h4 really fun

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 am
they both lift the same, h2 just wants to go in a straight line, hard to really carve

h4 is really carvy, personally as someone who knows how to foil found the h2 boring and h4 really fun
Trying to understand how shape affects performance. The H4 appears to have a much lower aspect than the H2. Any advantage of the H2 over the H4?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:24 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am
jespin4845 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 am

Trying to understand how shape affects performance. The H4 appears to have a much lower aspect than the H2. Any advantage of the H2 over the H4?

Lots, the H2 is better performing in every aspect :thumb:
(assuming everything else is quite equal of course)

Meaning, it can go faster when high lift, it can go higher upwind, it can ride much better in marginal winds and even a tad more overall lift :naughty:

BUT, it is not as fun regarding agility, so having two wings same size, one high AR one low AR - I almost solely use the small low AR wave wing now !

Earlier I used the high AR for marginal or light winds, but now I got a high AR bigger wing for these conditions, so not much need for the smaller high AR one.
It is also lazyness a bit - as I dont change to this one, the few times it would actually be more fun because a bit light, but not marginal.
When quite lightly powered though, you will feel the H4 draggy and you are not able to hold ground that well - while the H2 feels A LOT better here as it screams upwind now, you get a lot more apparent wind power, and everything just feels better.

If you want speed and upwind ability and glide and everything - here the H2 is better in every way as said.

But the low AR one carves so much tighter, and will also have a built in stall warning, a lot smoother stall, and usually unless really light, upwind is not an issue whatsoever.

So they are like night and day in many ways - depending on who you are and what you want.

When after a boat where performance is of no concern normally, I would choose the H4.

For kitefoiling, both have their fans of course :D

8) PF

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 am

I've never ridden either, but am curious to know more. Just looking at them and reading the SS website, I am guessing H4 is the entry level sup foil...super quick lift and stable, but a low top end for both speed and tight turns. H2 is more like a surf foil, lose some of the low end but gain more high end -- when you see those videos of guys ripping on the surf foil, turning fast and maintaining speed across the wave, I think that's more the H2. The videos of the person going slow on the wave doing gentle turns while staying closer to the pocket, that's likely the H4. And then the H3 goes faster still, big waves and faster speeds. That's my guess anyway.

You've probably seen it already but here's what ss website says about them:

H4:
For surf/SUP: Versatile performance in most size waves and swell. Early lift and slow gliding speed make this an excellent option for proficient surfers ready to make the transition to foiling.

For wake: Slow speeds, tons of lift and enough surface area to tap into the second, third, even the fourth wave back without a rope.

H2:
For wake: If you want to let go of the rope and surf the wake on your foil, this is the wing to do it with. While it’s possible with the smaller H5 wing and a decent wake, the additional size and lift of the H2 wing makes tapping into the sweet spot of the wake quite a bit easier.

For surf/SUP: Ideal for knee to waist high waves. You’ll start by catching whitewater and riding reformed waves as far to shore as you can without running your foil into the reef. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll quickly realize just how broad the possibilities are with a foil.

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m

Postby Kiterdoug » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am

I appreciate all the feedback. I have had the chance to ride both now. For me at 205lbs, the H4 was the clear winner. Behind the boat, I needed less RPM to foil, and i like to carve and that's not even close with the H4 way sharper.

SS says: Largest wing, most lift in the lineup -Great for slow speeds, early takeoff and pumping

Tony from SS says that the H4 is faster than the H2 and more controlled at high speed.

For me what sealed the deal was going out with an 8M BRM kite and the H4/Alien Air with a 24" mast in measured 10-12knots and had no problem getting up and foiling. At 205lbs.

The H2 is more stable for sure and likes to go in a straight line... however I do not.

Return to “Hydrofoil”