Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pryde CR X

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Pryde CR X

Postby windybrit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 am

I am teetering on the verge of trying to foil. I’ve kited for close to 10 years so feel comfortable to at least try it out.
From what I know/have observed, there seems to be quite a difference in gear available and some people progress quickly wheras others struggle and I have to think getting the right equipment to start on is important. I have a long term loaner to try and learn on, Neil Pryde/ Cabrinha CR;X with a short(er) mast, has anyone used one, or tried to learn on this setup, I’d much appreciate thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pryde CR X

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:09 pm

windybrit wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 am
I am teetering on the verge of trying to foil. I’ve kited for close to 10 years so feel comfortable to at least try it out.
From what I know/have observed, there seems to be quite a difference in gear available and some people progress quickly wheras others struggle and I have to think getting the right equipment to start on is important. I have a long term loaner to try and learn on, Neil Pryde/ Cabrinha CR;X with a short(er) mast, has anyone used one, or tried to learn on this setup, I’d much appreciate thoughts or advice. Thanks.

Hi windybrit.

Was about to reply immediately, but got away from it (work and other stuff).

I know two of my buddies who have used the CRX.

One was quite experienced, the other had a Spotz foil he tried to learn on, but found it way too hard, so he got (borrowed) a CRX and learned quite fast on that one - and now he is back struggling dolphining on the Spotz with the short fuselage, but it will come eventually.

It is very low volume, but easy to ride, VERY TT like in its shape and of course not good in really light wind - but one does not learn to foil in light wind anyways (not sub 10 knots).

I think you might change to something else when learned, as a board that is both a TT and a hydrofoilboard, hmmm - good if you travel and WANT a TT also maybe, but in the long run I think you will opt for a bigger foilboard for light winds, and maybe a more specific foil directional for more wind - but I dont know.
Around here most are either full on racers, or full on freestylers - and a few the first years dont really know "what" they are and want, so difficult for me to say how the CRX will work for others.

But it IS very versatile, can be used as a two strap or three strap (or two front straps only), and as a TwinTip too.

Got some pics when Andre and I were out a year ago, water around 5 degree (39 F) so spring and nice almost warm, he had a 12 m2 and I used a 9 m2 in around 10 knots of wind, and it is the normal 95 cm mast:

The wind was just below 10 knots for starters, ended around 10, so with a 5.8 sail I could not windfoil - bugger - so changed to a 9 m2 and kitehydrofoil instead

02.jpg

Andre has rigged the CRX

04.jpg

A kiteracer tried it, to see HOW fast it could be pushed (but I dont know what speed he obtained, sorry)

06.jpg

Andre and I went out, upwind for a few kilometers, to a really small "jetty" out in the middle of the bay - I went ashore on the narrow bank (under water at high tide), and taking a picture of him coming up toward me too, here where dead offshore but a closed bay.

18.jpg

Yep - Andre is coming ashore now

12.jpg

Wuhuuu, LOVING to be on this small bank - for some reason it is awesome, dont ask me why, but it just IS :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

14.jpg

He is going out again, I wait and take some pics with my kitecam

16.jpg

Having fun in the air, doing rotations either way

20.jpg

And sitting down ha haa

22.jpg

Double rolls are easy in 10 knots on a hydrofoil

24.jpg
:o

I go out again, and we have fun out there in the sun, so the relatively cold water is just fine :naughty:

30.jpg

Dont know if this helps you or not, but this is what I know and have seen with the CRX :D

BTW, the CRX kite (12 m2 here) is quite amazing, it has 3 struts and a good windrange not flapping, and it can hang in surprisingly low wind, honestly.
Low end is great, and upper end not bad because of the struts - it is REALLY expensive though, compared to all other similar kites :o

8) PF

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Excellent, many thanks. So it'd seem as though it's not going to stunt my development as a board to learn on, but if I progress then I might want to trade up for something else. that's ok by me.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 pm

We have the CRX Foil in stock and the CRX kites, 13,10 and 7m are arriving mid April.

https://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardi ... /KC18CRX1/

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm

bigwave wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 pm
We have the CRX Foil in stock and the CRX kites, 13,10 and 7m are arriving mid April.

https://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardi ... /KC18CRX1/
The Canadian dollar is weak right now so take advantage of SilentSports wicked deal....~$620 USD! I guess shipping is a factor but.....

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

regarding top speed, we've been able to get it to about 20 knots before it hits a wall. its pretty easy to ride but slow and one of the heaviest foils you can buy, almost up there with the hover glide

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 am

Weighed the crx tonight.

Complete (no footstraps) - 18.84 lbs
Foil only - 10.27 lbs
Board only - 8.57 lbs

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 am

dirtybeach wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 am
Weighed the crx tonight.

Foil only - 10.27 lbs
Board only - 8.57 lbs
Wow

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 am

cwood wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 am
dirtybeach wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 am
Weighed the crx tonight.

Foil only - 10.27 lbs
Board only - 8.57 lbs
Wow
From slingys site

Package includes: Complete foil and assembly hardware, protective bag, mast and pedestal.
Mast height: 35.5"
Combined total weight: 5.2kg (11.46 lbs.)

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am

Tried it once and as everyone has already stated it is heavy and slow. The board is not suitable for use on the foil as it is way too soft. It is just as unpredictable as the first generation race foil I had but was impossible to get beyond 20 knots of speed. The TT is probably ok, but it is big and heavy like the F-One entry level trainer boards.

Would rather get an LF foil or pretty much any other entry level kit.

CR:X kites look ok, but are horribly overpriced just like the foil kit.

Return to “Hydrofoil”