A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Alloy Hydrofoils 2018?

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 pm

There's about 20 brands (that I know of) offering an alloy hydrofoil. I've read through some reviews and forum posts and I'm curious who's offering the best ones for 2018. My feel is the new Zeeko Bullet and LF Thruster are the top offerings right now. I've also read some good things about the Axis Freeride. Are there any others that should be considered? If so, why?
Sidenote: I've noticed some brands only offer 80cm lengths. What's the trend now? Is 90cm+ overkill? Thanks!
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to hydrofoiling. 8)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alloy Hydrofoils 2018?

Postby slowboat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 pm
There's about 20 brands (that I know of) offering an alloy hydrofoil. I've read through some reviews and forum posts and I'm curious who's offering the best ones for 2018. My feel is the new Zeeko Bullet and LF Thruster are the top offerings right now. I've also read some good things about the Axis Freeride. Are there any others that should be considered? If so, why?
Sidenote: I've noticed some brands only offer 80cm lengths. What's the trend now? Is 90cm+ overkill? Thanks!
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to hydrofoiling. 8)
There are many good foils out there and their performance characteristics vary quite a bit. May get more answers if you state specifically what you are looking for.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 am

What he said re. specifics.

Axis foil is the best foil -- for me. It's combination of no bad habits, enough stability with enough playfulness, a great speed range, light (<4kg) and the price made it so right for me.

And . . . it's red.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm

There are no trends really, as far as I know...

Many beginners chooses alu, as a lot cheaper, thus the 40 to 70 cm short ones are used often here.

When you progress, you might keep it for low water riding, or go up to a 90 to 100 cm alumast.

BUT, as the longer mast are usually not chosen by schools or beginners, and many riders who has learned to foil chooses longer carbon masts for lightness and low drag and no corrosion issues - it could explain why some brands stop at these a bit shorter 80-90 cm when alu :wink:

Having said that, several of my friends ride 100 cm alumasts for freestyle and waves :rollgrin:

8) PF

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 am
There are many good foils out there and their performance characteristics vary quite a bit. May get more answers if you state specifically what you are looking for.
Kamikuza wrote: What he said re. specifics.
Thank you all for chiming in. Being new to foiling, I know I don't need top shelf performance. However I'd like to get something that I won't grow out of and appreciate that it's well regarded.
I do have an idea of what I'm looking for in a hydrofoil. Here are some features that appeal to me:
1) Plate mount design. Less is more, so I'd prefer to avoid one that requires an adaptor.
2) Ability to easily switch out and change wings and possibly the fuselage for learning and then for future performance (e.g. freeride or waves). Also a brand that's cross-compatable with other brand's wings and/or fuselages would be nice.
3) Something that's low maintenance regarding corrosion. Mostly where I kite is fresh water and occasionally brackish.
4) Where I kite it tends to be choppy, so several have indicated that using a 90-95cm foil with low-medium aspect wings should be sufficient. I can't think of too many places that would require a shorter mast, so I don't think it's critical that I can swap out sizes. But having that option seems pretty cool if I were to travel somewhere new, so I'm open to it. I don't think the LF Thruster has this option (yet?).
5) I'm in the US, so I'd prefer brands that are either domestic or an import that's well established here. Replacement parts access or warranty claims needs to be little to no hassle.
I'm not sure if there's anything else I should be looking out for, so I think that covers it. :thumb:

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 am

The Thruster is a great versatile foil but probably not the easiest to learn on. It can definitely be done, especially for a persistent, motivated person. You can buy a LF half mast, if you wanted. You wont outgrow the Thruster but you will likely add a big, surf foil to your collection in the future. If you wanted to go with LF, another option would be to start with the Rocket Foil (easy to learn on but expect to sell it after one season. Will be easy to sell), keep board and mast and get the Impulse (carbon, but arguably one of the best foils for freeride and waves currently available).

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 am

Hi Da yoda.....

I'm pretty biased because I'm a dealer, but also for good reason. I'm in year 5 now for foiling and it's just plain addictive.

There are some great products and I get a chance to ride a lot of foils and carbon set ups and yet I still ride my Slingshot Hoverglide foil by far over all others.
I sell LF, Cabrinha, Slingshot and Axis. The reason is simple.

When you are learning you want a foil that will get you up and STAY up in slower speeds. The Hoverglide does this.
When you are getting better and better, most riders want a foil that will go faster and faster. The Hoverglide does this.

Most easy to ride foils will be frustrating when you want to go faster. It' like driving at 45mph on the interstate. Faster = better jumping.

The Zeeko looks like it's geared more towards the upper end of riders which is cool, but harder to learn. The Thruster is harder for learning.

I swear....the Hoverglide by SS has just a ton of range and I beat the crap out of mine. I jump all the time and just love how easy it is to ride.

The closest to the SS is the Axis Freeride foil. It's very similar in how it rides and a little lighter. The SS is bomb proof and a solid carbon foil which is super durable. Some of the foam filled foils just won't last as long.

I hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:41 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 am
Hi Da yoda.....

I swear....the Hoverglide by SS has------ and a solid carbon foil which is super durable. Some of the foam filled foils just won't last as long.

I hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
I agree the hoverfoil is superb and will sell on easily, I sold mine on the beach after learning to sail both way.
I did not think the wing was solid carbon, I believed it was a abs material or plastic compound,dam tough though.
only one downside, is it is heavy to carry.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm
However I'd like to get something that I won't grow out of and appreciate that it's well regarded.
I wouldn't worry about growing out of your beginner foil. I have several buddies who have been thinking about which foil to get for over a year now worrying they'll get the wrong one! Just get a cheap used one and get out on the water, you'll be happy you did.

Hoverglides have been available used for $500 lately (foil only). Maybe you won't grow out of it at all. If you do use it for a year and decide you want a faster foil or a surf foil, just sell it again for $500 no problem! Growing out of it really isn't an issue.

I've only ridden the hoverglide briefly, but it definitely felt like a better ride than the original LF and Cabrinhas (which were painfully slow with no benefits). Plus slingshot sells the full package of short masts for super cheap.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm

The hover glide is solid, solid aluminum fuse, solid wing. It may have carbon in it but as of last spring production it was not what I would call solid carbon, lots of filler, like several millimeters. Easily visible in some cracked and broken wings... but in general strong and good warranty of problems. It works fine, but I couldn’t stomach the extra kilos.

Return to “Hydrofoil”