Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force Impulse review

Postby davesails7 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Which liquid force wings are interchangeable? Can this wing be put on any LF fuselage including the original Foil Fish? Or are the 2018 ones with the black mast and fuselage different?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:55 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Which liquid force wings are interchangeable? Can this wing be put on any LF fuselage including the original Foil Fish? Or are the 2018 ones with the black mast and fuselage different?
I believe u can use any LF fuse but I strongly recommend the carbon which comes with the wings. Weight of fuse has a significant impact on behavior of foil

meteo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach, pointe du lac, Québec, canada
Sunset Beach, tarpon springs, Florida
Style: old school, Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone and Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0

Postby meteo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I bought the LF impulse a week ago... this is my fifth foil, and my third "slow" foil... my wife as the Shinn P....

My wife and I adore the Impulse with the 50cm mast, but hate it with the 95cm mast... I'm I the only one that hates it with the 95cm(or 100cm) mast? the problem arrises when I do my duck tacks... and even the jibes(but less)... The foil as a tendency to rotate on the front wing left to right, and no matter how much pressure I put on the opposite side to bring back the foil straight up, it does not want too, and it rolls on the side until I just fall off? I know that this is a "operator" problem and with better skill's I would ok... but with all my other foils racing(spotz), intermediate(Shinn F or LF thurster) and slow( Shinn P) this problem is not an issue at all., and I prefer 95 to 100cm mast to the 50cm one...

But I must emphasis that I like it sooooo much with the 50cm mast, that I have been using it exclusively since I got it... I even was able to ride sitting on the board, that's how stable it is(with the 50cm mast)...

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 pm

davesails7 wrote: Which liquid force wings are interchangeable? Can this wing be put on any LF fuselage including the original Foil Fish? Or are the 2018 ones with the black mast and fuselage different?
I'm about to order a Rocket V2 foil and some extra wings for when I get better later on. I was considering the Thruster wings, but now I'm considering the Impulse.

The Impulse front wings are a 3-bolt mount, so I'm pretty sure they would be able to attach to the older FFish fuselage and the new Rocket V2 without any issue. Note: The FFish fuselage is 68cm long and the Rocket is 78cm long. I'm not sure what effect the <10cm would have on the Impulse's wing performance, so you may have to upgrade to the 78cm (Rocket) or 76cm carbon (Impulse) fuselage which are compatible with the FFish mast. The other thing to consider are the bolt diameters and spacing. They look to be the same size, but they could have changed.

You will need a shim kit for LF's new HD fuselage. My guess is the Rocket V2 shim kit would allow the Impulse wings to work on the HD. I'm planning to contact LF next week to confirm.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 am

the Impulse wings will work with the Rocket Fuselage. The shorter distance is the same as not using the further spaced holes in the newer fuselage. This just gives you a smaller turn radius and will need less pressure to go up and down on the foil. I recommend the HD fuselage for the Thruster wings and if you're going to get the Impulse, the Carbon Fuselage is really nice since it eliminates the extra weight and allows for the foil to sit on its side for strapless water starts.

I find that if I'm going to go have a jump session then I'm on the Rocket wings or the Thruster set up. If I'm going out to ride waves and work on duck tacks and stuff then the Impluse is my set up. Mostly I'm on the impulse, once you start riding that ocean swell and let the kite stay at 12 or to the side depowered as you just pump and turn, it's hard to change up foils.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:32 pm

A friend has bought a Naish Hover foil. This looks identical to a LF FF. Are they the same foil re-badged? If so, will the impulse wing work with the Naish Hover?

Return to “Hydrofoil”