Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Ghostwhisper adapter plate

Postby trod27 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello Kitefoil community
I have a Newind splitsurf board. I had Ricardo add foil mount holes when he built it for me a few years ago. Since then I have learned to Foil. I ordered the GW to be the ultimate travel combo. The GW base plate mounts are not compatible with the splitsurf. Bummer for me.
Options:
1. Is there a baseplate adapter already out there to make this work? I don’t want to use the stick on one because I still enjoy kitesurfing. I need it removable.
2. I build a baseplate adapter to pick up the four holes on the splitsurf. Maybe Aluminum or Plastic. I would have to give design to fab shop to mill. Or maybe someone has a 3D printer to make it? Ideally it would have 4 holes to mount to splitsurf. Then the tracks to accept the GW. This would make it adjustable which I wanted anyways
3. I could return the GW and get another foil that matches the hole pattern, but I am pro Slingshot. Already have a Hoverglide

Ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks Todd
Attachments
IMG_1384144189.jpg

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Ghostwhisper adapter plate

Postby irwe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

You could attach a Shinn plate to the bottom (removeable)

www.silentsports.com had a sale on them recently

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi Toddler,

Bummer. You were thinking ahead.
You need an aluminium plate 8mm thick. Tapped holes for board holes and Hydrofoiling holes. the Alu plate has M6 holes to match board holes and you bolt that to the board with M6 from deck down to Alu plate. Now you have an aluminium plate on the bottom of your board with m8 screws ready to bolt on the foil.
This will add a lot of weight and friction on touch downs.
I had a plate like this on my surfboard last year and touch down at 35 km and you are on your nose due to resistance.

I build boards. So I would drill 2 new holes in board, 20 mm, fill with epoxy, redrill for M6 and bolt on foil.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Either:
1. make a plate yourself, with appropriate screws sticking out of each side, from g10 or similar (not any ordinary plastic), or
2. contact the board maker about adjusting/adding holes and reinforcement to it to fit, or
3. drill additional holes in the foil's base plate to match your inserts (ask Moses, who make the ghostwisper for SS, or ask someone experienced with moses foils.

If you drill the board or foil base yourself, be careful and reinforce properly, or get someone comfortable with this kind of work to do it for you.
The first option, make an adapter plate yourself, is probably the easiest and least likely to harm anything, although it will be an extra part to carry and maybe a little cumbersome.
If you make the plate slightly wider than the foil base and extend it forward a bit, it should also reduce the chance of breaking the board.
And if anything happens, you will not be altering any parts, so MIGHT still get warranty assistance.

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah

Postby trod27 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Tom
I like your thinking. I was going to get tricky and make a track slot for T Nuts for adjustability since I don't know how the foil will match board for performance and stability.
I only use a hook to get up so I am not locked in (no straps). Do you think since I am basically strapless this kind of adjustability is not needed?
If so I could play with drilled holes to achieve balance under foil. Would take tinkering.
McMaster has aluminum stock for a good price. 8mm is close to 5/16? They have 5/16 or 3/8"
Is 5/16 enough?
Thanks in advance
Toddler

trod27
Medium Poster

Postby trod27 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 pm

BWD Like your thoughts to.
I thought about drilling foil base plate but think that is risky.
I don't like drilling board as it is risky.
I think making base plate is achievable and lower risk especially the way Tom describes it.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm

I would use g10 not aluminum. Don’t want electrolysis.
You could have inserts/T-nuts facing the board and permanently installed screws (studs) facing the foil, to reduce amount of parts rattling around, fiddling etc.

While the adapter is the only way to keep everything else in stock original condition, many foil base plates can be drilled for different screw positions. If all you have to do is drill two more holes in a flat, solid part of the plate that really would be easiest and lightest. May be worth asking someone experienced with these foils....

trod27
Medium Poster

Postby trod27 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 pm

BWD
What thickness of G10?
G10 ligther?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 pm

trod27 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm
3. I could return the GW and get another foil that matches the hole pattern, but I am pro Slingshot. Already have a Hoverglide

Ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks Todd
Not sure what length of mast have you got, I’d assume 91cm with 545/328 wing/stabilizer. The 2017 GW has a plate with bunch of holes in it, like your HG does and while it comes with same 545/328 wing set, it is a longer mast - 42” (106cm).
So here you have option #4 - replace your set with 2017 GW to fit your board exactly.
There’s nothing 2018 model features which 2017 doesn’t and it’ll fit the board natively.

What are hole spacing on your board/mast?
Attachments
EA668867-0074-4F0A-8077-F4B0AFAAAA6E.jpeg

trod27
Medium Poster

Postby trod27 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 am

Grig
Damn, would that not be nice. Mine is the new GW91 so it must be the 2018? I cannot even find the 2017. Also the reason I picked the 91 is it fits in my bag with none to spare. So I think the 42 would be hard to travel unless I carry on plane, and I hear TSA can call you on since it is sharp.
That being said do you think I could drill 2 holes in my GW base? The Base you show has multiple holes.
board is 140, mast is 165
If I could I would consider taking to machine shop. Obviously of I ask SS they will say no (I think)

Return to “Hydrofoil”