A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Hot launch techinque with inflatable

Postby edt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm

oh he's doing a reverse launch. Just remember some kites love reverse launching others don't. It's possible you have a kite that doesn't like a reverse launch. The easiest way to reverse launch is not to pull both lines equally, but to pull one line a little bit more than the other. So for instance you can grab both leaders in your left hand but have the right leader be 2 inches more up. What will happen is that the kite will reverse up but prefer to swing around counterclockwise, and when the kite is completely turned around in the normal position you let go and that's it the kite is flying normally. There's no real need to "steer" the kite as it goes up in reverse, just hold one leader tighter than the other and let the kite do its thing.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm
oh he's doing a reverse launch. Just remember some kites love reverse launching others don't. It's possible you have a kite that doesn't like a reverse launch. The easiest way to reverse launch is not to pull both lines equally, but to pull one line a little bit more than the other. So for instance you can grab both leaders in your left hand but have the right leader be 2 inches more up. What will happen is that the kite will reverse up but prefer to swing around counterclockwise, and when the kite is completely turned around in the normal position you let go and that's it the kite is flying normally. There's no real need to "steer" the kite as it goes up in reverse, just hold one leader tighter than the other and let the kite do its thing.
edt,

thanks for the explanation and others too...my apologies on the description as I was talking about a reverse launch. When I reversed launched the kite sat still for 3 seconds before it decided to power up and whip violently to one side. Typically it favors a direction from the get go and I don't have an issue.

I'll give the suggestions a shot to dial in which way she goes after yanking the steering lines.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm

lovethepirk, you are IMO launching in way too much wind for a reverse launch, it simply does not make sense, even less when at a risky spot if it goes to the wrong side like you wrote :o

Make a normal diagonal launch instead, 100 % safe, compared, and easy in that much wind :thumb:

8) PF

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm
lovethepirk, you are IMO launching in way too much wind for a reverse launch, it simply does not make sense, even less when at a risky spot if it goes to the wrong side like you wrote :o

Make a normal diagonal launch instead, 100 % safe, compared, and easy in that much wind :thumb:

8) PF
Agree. Maybe I missed it but unclear why OP is reverse self launching vs more standard technique which is much safer.

Return to “Hydrofoil”