Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hot launch techinque with inflatable

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Hot launch techinque with inflatable

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:29 am

As I've progressed into lighter winds when it's blowing 10-12 knots I don't bother with the side self launch anymore b/c it ends up being a hot launch anyway. I've never had a problem at all, but today it was blowing 13knots and I could not side launch due to the current and short beach and people.

I went for the hot launch and the kite just stalled perfectly downwind of me and didn't move one direction or the other...then it shot violently to one direction b/c of the pressure it developed....I was quick enough to grab a steering line and kept it from a palm tree but it was a close call....no bystanders were at risk.

I've seen people cross the lines before yanking the steering lines...Is there a way to predict the direction the kite will go and/or make this a much more predictable launch?

-side note...I'm riding my 12m now exclusively on the hydrofoil....I'm amazed it get's me going at 200 lbs in 12 knots. I think it's better than the 14m b/c the first upstroke increased speed allow me to get the second downstroke faster. Once I get a foil kite things will be better, but I have not flown my 14m LEI in 2 months. It's crazy you can fly a 12m kite in 12knots and be powered.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hot launch techinque with inflatable

Postby Rakky » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:04 am

How do you set up the LEI for the hot launch? The bladder/leading edge away from you downwind, with the inner part of the kite faced up (like the foil kites - although I'm not an expert in them)
And how fast are you raising it up, to prevent any gusty over pull.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 am

It will tumble away if set up as you describe like a foil kite

I will hot launch LEI by placing top skin down, LE into the wind and sand behind the LE holding the kite down 1/4 to 1/3 along the span. The kite takes a position where it's like a foil side launch.

When you tense the lines by walking straight upwind the kite rotates into launch position and take off is slow and controlled until the sand dumps.

Assisted is obviously best for the sport, the rider and the kite. Tethered is my second choice if ther is an easy place but I won't bother with an anchor that isn't immediately available.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 am

In super light winds where my kite wont stay on its side (self launch) I reverse launch them, hot. I position them almost directly down wind where all I have to do is drag/rotate one side enough for it to be dead down wind in the power zone and pull both steering lines. Sometimes pulling while running backwards to get some apparent wind. This works well if the kite's designed for easy reverse launch. Some designs are better than others for this.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:43 am

C kites can be set in their TEs LE up dead downwind and hot launched, but only if you KNOW the wind is at or below the minimum wind to use them. I have done this in slightly sheltered spots I know very well (where I have sailed 30 years), but it is not safe if you are not 100% confident with what’s going on with wind. Should work with many inflatable kites but needs maximum caution and light wind for safety. Test in minimum wind in a “safer” launch area. If you don’t think the kite is too small and possibly not enough to ride with in the conditions, you probably shouldn’t do it.
Last few years I’ve flown strutless kites that can be launched pretty much as jake describes, reverse launched easily, or flipped into their backs and hot launched straight up, if wind is light enough. They luff much better so pull less, but hit launch is still rarely a reliably safe method. Better than the “Russian launch” though.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:52 pm

how do you stall a hotlaunch? flip the kite over, walk back to the bar, grab the two center lines, yank and the kite climbs up. You are doing something different in your hot launch that made it stall.

styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:29 am
I don't bother with the side self launch anymore b/c it ends up being a hot launch anyway.

I've seen people cross the lines before yanking the steering lines...Is there a way to predict the direction the kite will go and/or make this a much more predictable launch?
Are you reverse (hot) launching?
If so, I don't cross my lines. That seems to make it more difficult to me.
You can stall it more to one side by pulling one steering line a little more than the other.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:57 pm

"Hot launching" is per definition when you have the LE pointing up at the sky, dead downwind, and fly the kite straight up.

I believe this is not what you ask about, but the reverse launch instead :D

I reverse launch extremely often, and I can see we do it very differently.

For me: Hold the bar with my left hand, and both rear leader lines with my right (or your left, your STRONG arm), pulling (or walking/running if really light) the kite up backwards.

The kite will turn to one side or the other by itself, when you just wait, and dont pull too hard, as then the kite collapses - dose it gently.
If you need the kite to turn to one side because of obstacles - well, not easy unless you use both hands on the leader lines (which I DONT like, as I want to have full control immediately with my other hand, very important, and of course crossed lines).
BUT, the solution is simple - if it turns to the wrong side, you just wait, keeping tension on the rear lines, and the kite will not fly up, but sit deep and you simply wait till it is directed either straight up, or to the desired side :thumb:

Starting a reverse launch is done by having the kite diagonally to the wind, and then pulling the leeward rear line to slide it deeper for the reverse launch, we all know that.

But another way that works, is to slide it only a fraction, and walk towards the kite so it is partly on its back.
Now, in really light wind, you can pull the LOWER rear line, while also having tension on the bar at the upper rear line, to get the kite standing up on its side and even pointing a bit up, now depower the kite flying it up - and voila - you can launch in almost no wind to the desired side free of obstacles, in full control, and without the risk of a sudden gust pulling you :rollgrin:

Works even better than a reverse launch most often - but in the utmost marginal winds a reverse is usually the only way (say 5-6 knots of wind), and also needed at spots where almost no wind at the ground, eventhough sufficient wind up higher.

The reason why I NEVER launch without having one hand on the bar, is because I want to be sure to be able to steer the kite away from obstackles (people, trees, boat masts etc), besides being sure there is no lines wrapped around something as could happen easier if you let the bar "dangle" - I never do this...

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 pm

Too much bar in can cause a back stall at the start of launch. Bar out the lets the kite shoot away..... Also gust/lull can do a similar thing. Combine a lull with too much bar in with gust bar out and you have recipe for what you describe. I recon a combination of pilot error and lull/gust combo.

Side note. If the kite will not side drag launch on the sand it wont be water relaunchable either. That means if you drop the kite you are swimming. Look at a kite that relaunches better.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 pm

But its pretty normal NOT to be able to water relaunch, in winds where you need to hot launch your kite.

So no way they can be sidelaunched in such conditions - as if they can, even the lightest 1 strut or strutless kites, then it is not even close to light wind IMO, and even further away from marginal winds, and this is where you need to hotlaunch your kite, as the only way you can start :wink:

It usually doesnt matter they can not be relaunched on the water in this wind - avoid dropping the kite, and drift ashore if it happens because the wind dies, or if you make a mistake :thumb:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”