Account abandoned

Re: What got you into Hydrofoiling?

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 pm
Philippe Caneri
Very good reason :thumb:

My case, in short:

Birth -> Walking -> Skateboarding (age 6) -> Windsurfing -> Sailing -> watching "Back to the Future II" :D -> Snowboarding
-> Windskating -> Kiteskating -> Snowkiting -> Landboarding (downhill) -> Landkiting -> Kitesurfing (age 20) -> Kitefoiling
-> Unicycling -> partly Monofoiling -> Municycle Freewheeling -> only Kite Monofoiling (today)

To make it short, not to name the less important experiences e.g. Kajaking, SUP, Riversurfing, Paragliding, Unikiting, etc. ;-)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Dinghy racing growing up and in college > some windsurfing > kiting > formula kite raceboards (the big fin things) > hydrofoil racing

I was always excited about racing, but the formula raceboards never took off at all on the East Coast of the US. I thought hydrofoils would never take off either. No one liked the race boards because they were expensive and hard to ride. Race hydrofoils were more expensive and harder to ride, but somehow people loved it! Now there are quite a few races up and down the East Coast US every year with 20-40 racers.

The formula raceboards were never very fun to ride. They got me out in light wind, but as soon as it hit 12 knots I'd opt for the twintip or surfboard. Now the hydrofoil is all I want to ride. Now when it's blowing 25 kts I'm wishing it was 10 kts so I could have a flat water foil day.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 pm
Philippe Caneri
Very good reason :thumb:

My case, in short:

Birth -> Walking -> Skateboarding (age 6) -> Windsurfing -> Sailing -> watching "Back to the Future II" :D -> Snowboarding
-> Windskating -> Kiteskating -> Snowkiting -> Landboarding (downhill) -> Landkiting -> Kitesurfing (age 20) -> Kitefoiling
-> Unicycling -> partly Monofoiling -> Municycle Freewheeling -> only Kite Monofoiling (today)

To make it short, not to name the less important experiences e.g. Kajaking, SUP, Riversurfing, Paragliding, Unikiting, etc. ;-)
How many of the above toys do you still use?

PS some good stories. Keep em coming!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Started windsurfing at 13 around Montpellier, then had plenty of fun doing it and progressing until I got to travel to Corsica, Tarifa, Morocco, ... and the local conditions didn't cut it anymore, plenty of wind for sure, but severe lack of waves, with only a handful of great sessions per year. On that fertile ground of frustrated windsurfers, kiteboarding took off late 90s, and after a couple of years, I completely ditched the windsurfing gear. Moved down south where wind and waves are plentiful, with lots of fun to be had riding surfboards strapless on uncrowded spots, and a whole range of different crafts, MTB, buggy, snowkite. Then over the years during my regular trips back home, I noticed more and more of my ex windsurf buddies who had turned kite buddies, now had turned kitefoilers, making the most of the local weak summer seabreezes. I wasn't too interested at first since my frequent 18kts+ seabreezes didn't really warrant a complex, cumbersome, lethal and expensive appendix to my boards.
But one trusted fellow convinced me, he said "get one,... get one now, the only regret you'll have is that you didn't get one any sooner". So I took a Zeeko kit back with me, and painfully learnt through the southern winter, and discovered a whole lot of days in the following spring and summer where I could get on the water instead of using the buggy. Almost 2 years on now, a lot more ride, indeed! They were so right! Nice addition to the whole kit.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Nothing i think it looks boring

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:51 pm
Nothing i think it looks boring
I know what you mean and full of hassles...it's like seeing someone do any type sport that you have no interest in whatsoever...there is no WOW......no OMG...feel nothing
When i compare my fun in the waves with surfboard and a foiler zooms fast along pretending to be riding a wave i feel zero envy
Sorry Hydrofoiling ...i've got no butterflies

Jefe
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: New to East Bay/ SF
Learned in San Diego
Gear: Old (2014) Lift 110 standard and custom surf wings
Elf Joker 11/18m
r1v2 9m
Various tube kites

Postby Jefe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Sounds familiar! Grew up racing dinghies, then after college got sick of hauling/ storing lasers or 505s around. Twice the performance for half the cost and a 10th of the storage space!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Not in doubt at all - the video "The Foiler" with Marc Blanc in 2011 did it for me :thumb:

Have always dreamed about riding on a magic flying carpet, and my engineering background made me too curious as to how it would feel and work strapless.

And not that much later my dream came true, so I was the first "flying" here :D

Love flying and love water, so being a pilot and most of all a waterman/waverider, combining both was a dream - little should I know it got SO incredible and very often a lot more amazing than all other sports and watersports :naughty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJWlcrksyI

8) Peter

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 am

I started foiling because we have a lot of days in the 10-14kn range that just weren’t that fun on a twintip anymore. When I started foiling, I thought it would just be a light wind thing for me, but I’m at the point where any time I’m on a twintip in winds under 20kn or so I mostly find myself wishing I was on my foil. I love foiling in 20kn+ winds on my small kite, but I still love boosting on my twintip too.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:40 am

What got you into Hydrofoiling?

A buddy maybe?

~~~~~~~
God, some good answers here, but I was accused of being anti foiler ;) Me, who started making a HF two years ago (almost) :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”