Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Going from Short Mast to Long mast Advice

Postby cwood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm

eddiemorgs wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am
I have learnt on a carbon intermediate 95cm jshapes foil and am struggling to read the overthinking going into the learning curve ( in this thread ) due to staged learning on short to longer masts .
There’s always the question going on ... “ when do I go to a longer one ? “ ... mate , just do it and I promise you will adjust .

The discussion about riding the board on the water being a key skill .... its almost irrelevant in my opinion .
You should already be able do that .
We are trying to make the bl...y thing fly !

So , get up on the board and get some board speed , perhaps a little downwind until it starts to fly and adjust its depth accordingly ... you don’t need to force it .
Then you are riding the foil , not the board ... forget the board already , its just a platform to a stand on .
With a longer mast you can tend to go a lot up the mast than a short one obviously ... because its longer ... so just make sure you keep it close to the water .
Yes , there will be a differnce in feel when you go to a longer mast ... you need to spend time on it and get used to it .
Every time I have ridden different gear it feels different and it always takes a while to dial it in ... long , short , big , small , heavier , lighter .... they are all different in feel

Agree with Foil above on different combos for different conditions but in this case Big Wally is still learning on the current gear he owns .

Big Wally , just get out there and practice , it will come as you get used to it .
THIS!

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Yes, before flying you should be able to surface ride.
Therefore its a key skill. Without this key, you don't unlock the next level.

While surface riding the foil generates lift. Not enough to hover you but it still trains the muscle memory up to a certain extend.

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Big Wally » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Thank you 3 Inlets. That gives me some points of reference. Excellent! Thank you you also cwood and everyone else. I now have some things that I know are correct from all of you and will not be as frustrated as I work on them. Looking forward now to more learning!!!

BW

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Sandras wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 pm
Yes, before flying you should be able to surface ride.
Therefore its a key skill. Without this key, you don't unlock the next level.

While surface riding the foil generates lift. Not enough to hover you but it still trains the muscle memory up to a certain extend.
"Learning how to surface ride" should be like the first 2 hours of your very first session. If you're posting on the internet about your difficulties learning to surface ride a hydrofoil, you don't know how to kiteboard, lol.

Sandras
Medium Poster

Postby Sandras » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

"Learning how to surface ride" should be like the first 2 hours of your very first session. If you're posting on the internet about your difficulties learning to surface ride a hydrofoil, you don't know how to kiteboard, lol.

It took me way more than 2 hrs just to manage to position the board and to waterstart with 90% success rate.
From what I read here and what I see at the beach, this is pretty typical.

If you managed to get comfortable in surface ride in your 2nd hr with the foil, well done and good for you being talented.
But it seems that what you have in riding talent you lack in manners and kindness.
The OP is asking help while at the waterstart with a long mast!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Sandras wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

But it seems that what you have in riding talent you lack in manners and kindness.
Sorry, I forgot that semi-anonymous internet forums require more decorum.

:butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2: :butt2:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Sandras wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

It took me way more than 2 hrs just to manage to position the board and to waterstart with 90% success rate.

If you managed to get comfortable in surface ride in your 2nd hr with the foil, well done and good for you being talented.
well It took me flipping ages to learn how to surface ride, I found it so difficult just to get up on the board,
twin tip sailing for 18 years ensured I got it completely wrong on the foil for two sessions, I had to get an experienced foiler to shout out advice on the 2nd day of trying, this helped massively, then surface riding took me a very wobbly few hours to get with it. I forgot how hard this initial period was until Sandras mentioned it above, very frustrating as you think it should be easy after using a twintip for nearly 2 decades.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Hydrofoiling is not easy, even very talented (professional) kitesurfers admit to finding it hard or a challenge. There are also some considerable risk factors involved even in light winds - getting a foil in the face, lines wrapped about the foil etc Anything that can make the first few tries easier/less risky is a good investment in my opinion

My opinion on surface riding with a short mast is that you can surface ride a short mast at speed a lot more comfortably. This allows you to take off at speed which seems to make staying on the foil easier.

Sandras
Medium Poster

Postby Sandras » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Foil wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 pm
well It took me flipping ages to learn how to surface ride, I found it so difficult just to get up on the board,
twin tip sailing for 18 years ensured I got it completely wrong on the foil for two sessions, I had to get an experienced foiler to shout out advice on the 2nd day of trying, this helped massively, then surface riding took me a very wobbly few hours to get with it. I forgot how hard this initial period was until Sandras mentioned it above, very frustrating as you think it should be easy after using a twintip for nearly 2 decades.
:thumb:

eddiemorgs
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby eddiemorgs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Foil wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 pm
Sandras wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:

Ok...I can understand that if you have only ridden tt as compared to riding surfboards as I do that you might find the riding of the board ... perhaps more difficult.
It is a completely different stance and your body position memory will need more adjustment than if you only ride surfboards.
Tt riders adopt a more back foot weighted and carving stance than surfboard riders. So that immediately will cause more problems when on a foil.
If you dive the kite to launch and lean back too much against the kite like a tt you’re in trouble .
So adopt a more forward leaning body position even before you launch and stay more perpendicular with board.

But there is difference between “ riding” the board on the water and “ riding and keeping “ the board on the water.
The latter applies to learning to foil ... when up , ride and keep the board on the water as you gather pace and the foil starts to fly....don’t just ride the board on the water.

If the transition from a shorter mast feels different , it’s because it is different. I suspect the difference which Big Wally is feeling is a difference in greater weight of the mast which will feels more draggy on first attempts and he goes over the front
Adjust body position and spend some time on it and that sensation will disappear.

Cheers.

Return to “Hydrofoil”