Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Groove Skate

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Groove Skate

Postby Nem0 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm

salvino wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am
Can you elaborate on mast position for your setup please. I’m 90kg and set my 91cm mast all the way to the rear of the Board
I also like to know the position of the mast for 633 wing with 71cm mast to use the frontstraps.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:22 am

Nem0 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm
salvino wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am
Can you elaborate on mast position for your setup please. I’m 90kg and set my 91cm mast all the way to the rear of the Board
I also like to know the position of the mast for 633 wing with 71cm mast to use the frontstraps.
14-15 cm from the rear of the mast plate to the rear of the board,
but I only use the front straps keeping the rear out just in front of the rear strap
this allows me to move my rear foot to touch the rear strap if I want the board to pop up instantly even before the kite has traveled half way down, then if the wind has picked up and I am fully powered I can move my rear foot forward a few inches to reduce the explosive pop up onto the fly.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 pm

If you place the board on a flat ground.
How much scoop and how much rocker it has!?
Can you place a pic while meshering it?

RichR2
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Ultra 10m, 8m
Airush Wave 6m
Solo 4,5m
Shinn K2 foil
125cm RR custom

Postby RichR2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37 am

Theres a lot of good things being said about the Groove skate but I'm wondering what in the design sets it apart from other pocket boards. Gunnar in his review says its 3.5cm thick but the Groove website says its thickest part is 10cm...confused...is it domed or who is better with a ruler Gunnar or Groove ? There's doesnt appear to be anything revolutionary about the plan shape other than its wide but not excessively, so it must be down to the rocker. Share the secret Groove owners, how much rocker

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 pm

RichR2 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37 am
Theres a lot of good things being said about the Groove skate but I'm wondering what in the design sets it apart from other pocket boards. Gunnar in his review says its 3.5cm thick but the Groove website says its thickest part is 10cm...confused...is it domed or who is better with a ruler Gunnar or Groove ? There's doesnt appear to be anything revolutionary about the plan shape other than its wide but not excessively, so it must be down to the rocker. Share the secret Groove owners, how much rocker
It's not 10cm thick, it's 3.5cm from front to back,
It weighs so little, I can't measure mine as it's nearly always wet, but I have never picked up a board so light, the deck from front to back is wide and perfectly flat,
The scoop in the nose looks quite pronounced, and I have never nosedived it.
Two things stand out about this board for me,
One is how it pops up so quickly onto the fly, not just a few inches but full mast height before the kite has completed its first dive, this is partly to do with the lack of board weight forward of the mast and less board touching the water just before the kite dive due to the nose scoop,
The other difference to my T60 Moses Carbon is the way the Skate carves around and then carves back, it's just so quick and smooth,this makes the Skate much more fun to use, very responsive, even twitchy, the T60 is good but you notice the extra length and weight when sailed back to back,
The only downside up to now is that it's no where near as easy to bodydrag out in any water state (flat or waves) with a direct onshore wind,
The T60 beats it easily as it will sit on its side using the extra volume and length to cut upwind much more easily, I have tried a few times now to find a method that works for the Skate,but as yet I have struggled to find anything that works.
Good job I always take both boards, as twice now I have give up with the skate and grabbed the T60 which has been a session saver.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm

DieWelle;1335405 wrote:Ich habe das Onda633 mit dem 91er Mast und dem Groove Skate.
Das Board ist schwerer, als von Groove angegeben - 2,9 kg ohne Schlaufen.
Die gesamte Kombi wiegt 6,3 kg.
Die Lochpositionen für die vorderen Schlaufen sind quasi unbrauchbar, da sie zu nah beieinander liegen. Ich passe selbst mit sehr schmalen Füßen kaum noch in die Schlaufen. Aber ich wollte eh strapless fahren :p
Ewig lange Lieferzeit für das Board (6+ Wochen) und kaum Kommunikation seitens Groove.
that´s taken from german Oase.com from a new Skate Owner. His Skate weighs in at 2.9kg w/o straps. Including Onda 6.3. He´s also complaining about the spacing of front footstrap holes not providing enough room for an avg forefoot. So maybe the early adopters like Foil got the advertised quality, but currently I´m not sure what is going on at Groove as they also miss by far any promised lead times. I do not have gotten a final delivery date upon several requests and ordered May 1st with 20 days lead time promised. I assume Groove wasn´t prepared by far for such a huge demand Gunnar´s marketing attempts finally caused - but that doesn´t make my foil season one day longer.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Foxi wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm
DieWelle;1335405 wrote:Ich habe das Onda633 mit dem 91er Mast und dem Groove Skate.
Das Board ist schwerer, als von Groove angegeben - 2,9 kg ohne Schlaufen.
Die gesamte Kombi wiegt 6,3 kg.
Die Lochpositionen für die vorderen Schlaufen sind quasi unbrauchbar, da sie zu nah beieinander liegen. Ich passe selbst mit sehr schmalen Füßen kaum noch in die Schlaufen. Aber ich wollte eh strapless fahren :p
Ewig lange Lieferzeit für das Board (6+ Wochen) und kaum Kommunikation seitens Groove.
that´s taken from german Oase.com from a new Skate Owner. His Skate weighs in at 2.9kg w/o straps. Including Onda 6.3. He´s also complaining about the spacing of front footstrap holes not providing enough room for an avg forefoot. So maybe the early adopters like Foil got the advertised quality, but currently I´m not sure what is going on at Groove as they also miss by far any promised lead times. I do not have gotten a final delivery date upon several requests and ordered May 1st with 20 days lead time promised. I assume Groove wasn´t prepared by far for such a huge demand Gunnar´s marketing attempts finally caused - but that doesn´t make my foil season one day longer.
Just weighed mine with 3 damp straps fitted, 2.9 kg, which makes it around 2.5kg without straps, I wear booties all the time and the strap spacing works for me.
3 of us here on our beach ordered a new skate at the same time I received mine around 5 weeks later on the beach at fuerteventura whilst on holiday, Gunnar picked it up from the groove guys at a race meeting in Barcelona the weekend prior, the other two guys in the uk had thiers delivered 3 weeks later.
they are slow replying to Emails as I am wanting some spare T nut fixings for my T60, the skate ones are top quality brass and stainless steel M8 fixings.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 am

Hi all,
I´ve waited for my Skate for almost 7 weeks... Michele seems to be quite overloaded.
Finally it arrived and I was able to use it for the first time last weekend. BTW my first foiling session with the Skate and Onda 633 (first "own" session after a 1 h course with Gunnar at Flag Beach back in April).
I have no comparision as it was my first ride really. What can I say?! I flew after 30 minutes (went strapless right away), even went through the first gybes (not finished, though). The Onda wing flies at almost no speed, pefect for me.

In terms of the Skate board:
The weight is actually much higher than specified by Groove. Mine weighs 2.9 kg without straps, including the screws and brackets for mast mount. The statement from website claims 2.5 kg incl. straps. However, 2.9 kg is still acceptable for me.
The strap mounting holes are too close together for my feet (in booties), that´s why I skipped the straps. No problem!
The total kit weighs 6.3 kg (Skate, 91 cm mast, Onda 633).

PS: I´m "DieWelle" from the German forum :) Posted this simultaneously :lol:

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 am

that's a bit of bummer, if the board weighs now 2,9kgs without straps and on the webpage it says 2,5 incl. straps. That is a huge difference! Have they beefed up the construction hence the weight increase?

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:58 pm

its a company with lots of great ideas and it does take tenacity to get to the production stage, so on that score well done.
the problem is I found them unreliable on getting back on email, super slow, this was well before the Gunner vid
that has completely snowballed them under.
the weight issue of the board is a valid one, if a board is 20% heaver than advertised
thats a problem for the consumer as well as company selling. a new company, teething issues and I hope
they sort them out.

Return to “Hydrofoil”