Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: ideal LEI for freeride/race

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm

If you want a small LEI:

- ocean rodeo flite
- ozone edge
- north rebel

For me the flite is the best because of its lightweight construction, the kites fly in 8 knots no problem.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat May 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm
If you want a small LEI:

- ocean rodeo flite
- ozone edge
- north rebel

For me the flite is the best because of its lightweight construction, the kites fly in 8 knots no problem.
I have not tried the 2018 Rebel, but, IMHO, the earlier versions are not good kites for foiling. They are heavy, don’t drift well, and can be a pain if the kite Hindenburgs and the 5th line wraps around the kite.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat May 26, 2018 4:43 pm

I've not ridden an Ozone edge, but I see guys using them regularly for freeride, boosting on TT. All sizes. Sometimes I see a few guys, one is on a 13 another is on a 9, both going well powered, the guy on bigger kite is just boosting bigger. They look really stable and Fast through the air.

I bet a 9m would be great in 14 knots + on a hydrofoil.
A friend of mine hydrofoils with a Flysurfer Sonic race 2 13m, Sonic 1 11m and then he has a FS Boost 2 7m that he uses when I used to use my 9m Mono. He likes it s lot. That kite seems to be really good for foiling in small sizes too.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 26, 2018 4:48 pm

You are right junebug, about the Rebel.

But Pedro wrote "small" LEI, and the Rebel excel as being quite high AR and good windrange, which is what is good for racers.

Some here use the Rebel in waves eventhough not really a wavekite, and it blasts upwind at good angles because of its design - and works pretty okay in waves too eventhough not ideal.

Hindenburging is only an issue IMO in low winds and not as much or at all for kites below 10 m2.
And even less an issue for racers where you dont ride with slack lines.

Freeriding and waveriding is a different ballgame though, drift can be essential also in smaller sizes, eventhough one can get used to it also with smaller kites :roll:

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Yes just talking small sizes here, and assuming there is some wind. Big sizes there is no LEI that comes even close to foil race kites, for racing ofc.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 pm

I recently bought a race foil, Levitaz Bionic to complement my foil quiver, some days you just want to go fast.
I now find it is the kites which are lacking for this foil, just too slow. Experimented yesterday with a swap between my 12 mtr Aurora 2 and Switch 11 mtr Element 3 in the same wind conditions, about 10-12 knots.
The Element is quicker than the Aurora by about 2 knots, but probably woouldn't relaunch in the lulls. I'm now thinking of getting something like an 11 mtr Edge for those 11-14 knot winds we get a lot, too much for the Pansh to be comfortable and a 9 mtr Edge may not have the power, these race foils seem to like being powered.
Anyone regularly use Edges on their foils?
A small Sonic or Chrono is probably the best, but I have heard these small foils can be a pain to use regarding relaunch.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 am

airsail wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 pm
I recently bought a race foil, Levitaz Bionic to complement my foil quiver, some days you just want to go fast.
I now find it is the kites which are lacking for this foil, just too slow. Experimented yesterday with a swap between my 12 mtr Aurora 2 and Switch 11 mtr Element 3 in the same wind conditions, about 10-12 knots.
The Element is quicker than the Aurora by about 2 knots, but probably woouldn't relaunch in the lulls. I'm now thinking of getting something like an 11 mtr Edge for those 11-14 knot winds we get a lot, too much for the Pansh to be comfortable and a 9 mtr Edge may not have the power, these race foils seem to like being powered.
Anyone regularly use Edges on their foils?
A small Sonic or Chrono is probably the best, but I have heard these small foils can be a pain to use regarding relaunch.
Edges are too heavy. You won't get them out of the water with minimal wind conditions. Edges are very good in there highend. I sold my Edges and bought OR Flites.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon May 28, 2018 10:39 am

Switchblade should be sitting better in wind edge than FX but it probably doesn't come close to foil kites however, Blake from http://www.mackiteboarding.com is often seen riding FX and foil board.
Some rider claim that Airush Ultra come with their performance very close to ram kite. There is a separate trend about it on forum.

Return to “Hydrofoil”