Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite foiling and sargassum?

Postby mikael sidenius » Sat May 26, 2018 5:54 pm

super_padge wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi,

i wouldn't write it off totally - maybe you have to visit another spot/figure out which wind directions work best for you. I'm based in Holbox, and it's been a great season for foiling.

When i hit seaweed its either: i fall off, if i'm prepared and see it, then i drop off the foil, or i sail straight through it. It doesnt get stuck but i'm on an Axis maroro (more race type)

I find it's tricky on or after a norte as the currents mean all the seagrass is moved around and there's plenty floating around. This season seemed to be worse around January as we had several norte's in a row.

Marco at extreme control is doing demo days at el cuyo, which is worth trying, or alternatively come to holbox and try it (the lessons start in november, we're just at the end of season. We have really easy foil conditions here!
Hope you have fun, and give me a shout if you get chance to head to holbox!
Hey neighbor!
Call me lazy but I don't really wanna drive when I have the ocean right in front of me here in PA so I prefer to just kite here and with all the southeasterly winds we have here there is just too much sargassum here to start foiling, if its as problematic as the other posters describe it. I'll buy a light wind board for now and hopefully less sargassum will come in the future and I will take up foiling.

I will definitely send you a message when I come up to Holbox. The wife and I are planning to come up in a few weeks...

Willis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: French West Indies Guadeloupe
Favorite Beaches: All the beaches in the Caribbean
Style: Free Ride Old School Air Style
Gear: Speed 3 : 21, 15, 12m
Psycho 4 : 8m
Flyboard Radical "M"
Askaboard
Skim Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite foiling and sargassum?

Postby Willis » Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 pm

winduser wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 pm
It can be done with a big Alai

https://vimeo.com/262078975
Thanks Winduser, but it's not an alaia. It's a Tiki board, with scoop and one fin.
Still use it every day, seaweed invasion is going on.
But everything is not so bad :

https://vimeo.com/271489420

Return to “Hydrofoil”