Stormkite voyager lightspeed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Stormkite voyager lightspeed

Postby AndersP » Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks Peter and Pedro for your comments.

Iwant a kite thats good at going fast in winds from 6 to 12 knots. I have Gong strutless 9 and 6m2.

I had an Ozone Edge 13, fast but a bit heavy and some times falls out of the sky i weak winds. Also hard to start in lightwind. Great for powered twintip though. I'm also looking at a North Mono with lower AR ( I believe).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 am

AndersP wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 am

Iwant a kite thats good at going fast in winds from 6 to 12 knots. I have Gong strutless 9 and 6m2.

I had an Ozone Edge 13, fast but a bit heavy and some times falls out of the sky i weak winds. Also hard to start in lightwind. Great for powered twintip though. I'm also looking at a North Mono with lower AR ( I believe).

I think the Light Speed is the right LEI kite type then :thumb:

Not for me as I dont wanna go fast, but seek a faster turning freestyle lightwind kite instead, which is lower AR and not fast nor good windrange, compared to the Light Speed.

I know your desire though, as here we also have many who dont want foil kites, but seeks more performing faster flying LEI kites 12-15 m2 with more windrange so they can ride pleasant and fast in changing winds, often on faster wings which makes so much more sense (and fun) when low wind yes.

Particularly good if one rides far along the coast in light winds, or crossings :naughty:

8) Peter

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am

AndersP wrote:

If you want a kite that is good going fast in 6-7 knots you can forget the LEI kites, the only kite that might be close its the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m, because of its light construction, but still, they struggle alot in 7 knots and drop in 6.

Welcome to the high performance foil kites world, get ready to swim and untangle bridles for 3 hours, you will be amazed going 25 knots in 6 knots of wind in the flat sea :)

Ozone R1V2 19m or similiar, is the kite for the windrange you mentioned.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Wed May 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
AndersP wrote:

If you want a kite that is good going fast in 6-7 knots you can forget the LEI kites, the only kite that might be close its the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m, because of its light construction, but still, they struggle alot in 7 knots and drop in 6.

Welcome to the high performance foil kites world, get ready to swim and untangle bridles for 3 hours, you will be amazed going 25 knots in 6 knots of wind in the flat sea :)

I'm not into foilkites (yet).
We have cold water most of the year and long swims with a soaked kite followed by hours of tangling is not my cup of tea. I might change my mind but for now I want a Lei kite with good windrange and angles so that I can feel reasonably safe to get back from where I started. Both on foil and twintip. I often kite on a rocky coast with few spots for launching and landing. I'd like to very confident foiling before moving from Lei to foilkite.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed May 30, 2018 3:13 pm

AndersP wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:26 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
AndersP wrote:

I'm not into foilkites (yet).
We have cold water most of the year and long swims with a soaked kite followed by hours of tangling is not my cup of tea. I might change my mind but for now I want a Lei kite with good windrange and angles so that I can feel reasonably safe to get back from where I started. Both on foil and twintip. I often kite on a rocky coast with few spots for launching and landing. I'd like to very confident foiling before moving from Lei to foilkite.
17m Ocean Rodeo Flite then, but you wont start in 6 knots, maybe 7 with the correct technique.

Texaskiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Texas City
Galveston
Favorite Beaches: North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
Playa del Carmen
Style: Freeride, surf, hydrofoil, airstyle
Gear: Core, Ozone, Moses,

Postby Texaskiter » Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I just ordered the 15M Voyager Light Speed so will give review soon. I spoke to Sylvain at length about the Light Speed over the Voyager 3. He says the light speed is higher aspect (and faster) than Voyager 3. However he thinks it turns just as fast and has more high end range due to more forward flying position. It has 1 strut but weighs the same as Voy 3. Says it still drifts nicely. No idea about the bar. Gonna use one of my bars.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Texaskiter wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm
I just ordered the 15M Voyager Light Speed so will give review soon. I spoke to Sylvain at length about the Light Speed over the Voyager 3. He says the light speed is higher aspect (and faster) than Voyager 3. However he thinks it turns just as fast and has more high end range due to more forward flying position. It has 1 strut but weighs the same as Voy 3. Says it still drifts nicely. No idea about the bar. Gonna use one of my bars.
The problem about that kite is the low end.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm
In native English fast implies "fast turning".
Sorry, but NO it does not!
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... lDtMx8mS6M
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fast
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/fast
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fast?s=t
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fast
http://www.yourdictionary.com/fast?dire ... result=yes
I wonder why P F thinks "fast" in English, implies turning, it does not.
Note that NONE of these or any other definitions will say "fast" in English relates to turning.
One must say fast turning to be accurate.
Sorry but a bold false statement like this needs to be cleared up.
In English as ALL the above definitions clearly state has to do with speed, period, in this context.
R H

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Lol

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 31, 2018 3:55 pm

revhed wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm
In native English fast implies "fast turning".
Sorry, but NO it does not!
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... lDtMx8mS6M
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fast
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/fast
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fast?s=t
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fast
http://www.yourdictionary.com/fast?dire ... result=yes
I wonder why P F thinks "fast" in English, implies turning, it does not.
Note that NONE of these or any other definitions will say "fast" in English relates to turning.
One must say fast turning to be accurate.
Sorry but a bold false statement like this needs to be cleared up.
In English as ALL the above definitions clearly state has to do with speed, period, in this context.
R H

Ha haa, you need to get out more in the real (English speaking) world revhed, instead of claiming "internet definitions".

Then you would not postulate something like above :rollgrin:
You can NOT correct the whole world to your liking, even if you want to :wink:
Okay to say it is wrong or right, but some fights can not be won - this is one of them, believe me :roll:

It is such a normal misunderstanding, that when talking about "fast" kites or "fast" waveboards, it is commonly understood as "fast turning" by most in common talk and writing (no matter if correct or not, doesnt change how it is used), so those who interpret fast only as "fast in speed/forward" will for sure get trouble making themeselves understandable - or get the wrong kite/board if they did not know this :naughty:

Particularly because the two definitions are each others opposites in terms of design parameters, so it can go horribly wrong...

So if someone says "I want a faster kite" you have no idea if he/she means faster turning or faster flying.

Another example, kite sizes - in English and the kiteworld, the term "12 m" (12 meter) is used for sizing all over, and understood, even used on many websites.
This is also completely wrong and not an area measurement - but it has "stuck" because of ease, so widely used.

I once questioned this, many years ago, till I found out it was THE "de facto standard" for saying kite sizes in English, so no reason to try to change that, a lost battle and only losers if trying to (like other corrections that will be a lost battle).
In our language, Danish, we would always say 12 squaremeter and never ever 12 meter, but in English this is what is used by most.

Being an engineer working a lot with accredited precision measurements I use the terms correctly, when I write or share or prove (evidence and documentation) something work related, or in general.

BUT, I also like to "live" and not be a PITA correcting everyone, as some terms are used and understood all over, in a different manner than the correct ones, so I have no problems using "Meter" as a term for area here, eventhough I would not use it myself.
"Meters" has stuck as a word meaning "Square meters" when talking kites, just fine as it is understood !

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”