Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rear foot in front of rear strap location narrow stance

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Rear foot in front of rear strap location narrow stance

Postby Laughingman » Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi all

I have never tried anything but the Liquid Force Happy foil and the Impulse but I was having a conversation the other day with a fellow foiler and he mentioned the same thing I was wondering about.
Is it normal to feel more comfortable with a more narrow stance?
I have my front straps all the way forward and I do not use a rear strap but my foot is clearly always in front of the rear strap location. I see other guys with rear straps but their stance is very wide, it actually looks awkward. They also seem to fold their upper body forward... looks like an over pronounced poo stance.
My mast is mounted as far back as it will go and I do feel that my body is centered over the front wing. My feet are roughly shoulder width apart
Am I teaching myself bad habits? Should I be trying to learn with a wider stance?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rear foot in front of rear strap location narrow stance

Postby cglazier » Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Any stance and foot position that feels comfortable is fine. I often ride with my rear foot in front of the rear strap.
But when you are in challenging conditions or you want to go fast you will want to get that back foot in the back strap. When going deep downwind very fast I would be scared if I didn't have my back foot in the strap. (I am not sure that you can go very fast on your LF foil).
Also when going upwind you will notice that racers always use their back strap for optimum upwind performance.

:wink: CG

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 pm
Is it normal to feel more comfortable with a more narrow stance?
For me yes at least for relaxed riding and slow trucking upwind on surfboard, 3 fin race board and hydrofoil. Going downwind on all 3 I put my rear foot back (either with or without straps.)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 pm

I will sometimes relaxed cruise with my foot in front of the rear strap....or if doing transitions in relatively quick succession....but if I am really going to go fast or drive hard I am way more comfortable in the rear strap.

Return to “Hydrofoil”