Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

beginner foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
nayy
Frequent Poster

beginner foil

Postby nayy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm

hello,

I would want to buy my first foil... i've some years of strappless kiting on wave board and skimboard...i'm not interested in high perfomance foiling, I just want to have fun on those 8-12 knots days and go to strapless foiling asam.

I have 3 foils on my shortlist, but very difficult to make a decision... difficult to find reviews where they compare these foils...

ok, here's the list:

p-foil shinn: the easiest one, but my shop told me it was too slow and I would outgrow this foil fast. But I found good reviews on it...

Speedster north: found also good reviews, this is the 'in between board'. Seems like this one is less sensitive to corrosion.

F-one IC6: fastest of the 3... alsmost no reviews...

So I'm looking for someone who tested these boards and could five me some advise or feedback...

thanks !

Nayy

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: beginner foil

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 pm

I have used the shinn P foil, your shop is right that you will outgrow it, it is very slow, but the big wing offers great lift, is tough as rock and about as heavy, but that's just right for learning, it comes with a short mast, again just what you need,
make no mistake, this is just the type of board you need when starting off, get your shop to agree to part x it when your ready, if you can get out say twice a week then it will last you maybe 6 months before your ready to use more advanced gear, and because its such a nice looking package all in its own very neat carry bag its very easy to understand why it will be easy to pass on to the next newbie, I bet you will be able to sell it to someone on your beach its such a well known bit of kit.
there is cheaper kit out there but not easier to use.
I don't know where your from but if you contact Mark at Boardworx he has all the gear you mentioned at his shop, and some of it is demo or 2nd hand, and he will always swap stuff for you if your not suited to it.
if budget is bigger then I know he has some very tasty nearly new second hand "expensive when new" gear that is also spot on for a newbie, ask him about it.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:44 pm

If I had to do it over, I would hands down go with:

Moses 633 Onda foil using the 71cm mast on Slingshot Dwarfcraft 4’6” board. This would allow easy learning and not to be outgrown. Later you could add 91cm mast and you would be set for years. This foil is unreal in low speed foiling and stability as well as higher speed capabilities. Not race speed, but I was faster on it than others that were on entry level foils.

Then later, pocket board. By then even more innovation will have more on your horizon.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 pm

ive got the north speedster and north pro foil board. Still getting use to it as im changing foils constantly im on my 3rd one in less then 2 years.

The speedster so far is pretty forgiving and the winglets seem to keep it from stalling when really cranked hard on its side. For me it lacks top end but is much faster then my first one the original LF rocket. definitely not as skatey as the LF again due to the winglets. Board wise I'm unsure im thinking now i like the smaller thin boards cause ultimately i want to go strapless. the pro foil from north has huge rocker and super beveled edges basically meant for hardcore speed and racing which i like but is a nightmare to get on strapless or straps i went to a 3 hook and am still getting used to it but do love the features once your up and going.

really tho once you're on foil your on foil and wind and kite power really dont matter as you look to dump everything you can so technically any foil would do well.

I really believe if you get bit by the foil bug you will never be content with just one. I'm building a quiver of foils to go with different types of foiling from racing to high wind to no wind.

i wouldnt waste my time with any short masts just go for it and always remember when learning lean forward taxi takeoff land taxi takeoff land you can get dialed in less than 2 months if you only foil leave your other boards at home when learning.

I'm thinking if i could only have one i'd also maybe lean to the moses/ghostwhisper platform or an LP platform those babies rip! although you can buy 3 cheap ass ones for the cost of one so thats what i did.

(learning on a highend carbon steered me away as i was afraid of smashing a 2000$ plus piece of equipment. they are resilient but nothing like the aluminum's that you can absolutely trash when learning an never break or hurt.)

I've turned into a complete junkie for foils high wind low wind it dont matter im starting to prefer higher winds with small kites it unlocks a whole new dimension i never thought i would find as i've never ever needed a kite smaller then a 9m on big days with surfboard or a twin tip. I'm looking at trainer kites in the 4 meter size now. :o

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 pm
I have used the shinn P foil, your shop is right that you will outgrow it, it is very slow, but the big wing offers great lift, is tough as rock and about as heavy, but that's just right for learning, it comes with a short mast, again just what you need,
Is it worth it to buy Shinn P foil for learning and later just change wing to K or F? Should come up cheaper than buying whole new foil. Or their "advanced" wings are not worth the hassle and better to just go for all different foil?
I'm considering Shinn P or Nobile Zen for my first foil and easy learning curve plus durability of their wing leans me towards two of these models.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Axis Freeride. Plenty fast (meh), no vices (especially low speed), tough as nails G10.
http://www.axiskiteboarding.com/product ... xqRHC-B0Wo

If you want to go slower and surf, then the surf/SUP foils...720 is gravy.
https://www.axisboards.de/sup-surf-foil/

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm
Foil wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 pm
Is it worth it to buy Shinn P foil for learning and later just change wing to K or F? Should come up cheaper than buying whole new foil. Or their "advanced" wings are not worth the hassle and better to just go for all different foil?
I'm considering Shinn P or Nobile Zen for my first foil and easy learning curve plus durability of their wing leans me towards two of these models.
Of course you can just use the other wings in the shinn line, but your more likely to want another more advanced set up, thats why its a good idea to buy a set up that others will want, and you will not lose much money on.
Going with the long mast option to learn on will hold back your progress, and might even turn you off, not many will subscribe to that idea.
The Moses Onda route mentioned above is a sure way of not outgrowing your equipment, down sides are few, cost is one, very expensive, however better than very good, (carbon rear wing on the Onda is mega fragile so you need to perhaps have a spare, I do and so has my sailing buddy)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for reply,

Shinn has a good deal where I live and they borrow short mast 40/60cm for free and you just buy target mast length (90cm probably).
I would like to get foil mainly for low wind condition 8-12kts when I can't ride TT hence, not sure I will outgrown this P wing soon.
Read some comments from other people that after few hours they had foiled, when on other foils it can take much longer?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm
Thanks for reply,

Shinn has a good deal where I live and they borrow short mast 40/60cm for free and you just buy target mast length (90cm probably).
I would like to get foil mainly for low wind condition 8-12kts when I can't ride TT hence, not sure I will outgrown this P wing soon.
Read some comments from other people that after few hours they had foiled, when on other foils it can take much longer?
Some guys claim they have foiled if they get up on the foil,
However, that can be misleading,
getting up and in some sort of control would take some water time,
Up and in control of your height over 100 MTRS might take 10 hours or 20 hours, or some people might never get it, it happens!
Up on a tall mast holding a steady height and able to S turn over long distances may take 20 hours or 40, some might take even longer,
Up and flying high downwind and high upwind on most water states and having success in flying gybes may take 40 hrs or many many more hours, some guys even after 3 years haven't cracked a flying gybe, but many more crack it around the 12 month mark.
Everyone is different, but have realistic expectations based on true averages, your ability agility and resolve to succeed, and give yourself an advantage over the average by buying above average user friendly newbie gear.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm

I agree with Foils learning curve.

The Shinn P sounds like a good option considering you can borrow those short masts.
Also you state low wind foiling so big wing is good.

I started foiling almost 2 years ago just out of curiosity. Now all my other boards are in the basement. Don't want to do anything else.
I bought a Hyperlink 9m UL this year and have 14 sessions in a row on it. It's turned out to be a highly versatile and simple set up:
Hyperlink 9m UL with 25-20 line option on same bar.
Moses Fluente ( 93cm) with 590 ( light wind) and 550 (more wind and rough water) front wings. Takes me 3 minutes to change the wing. 10 min to change the lines. ( could rig it faster if I was organised....

Return to “Hydrofoil”