Rare Poster
Gear: fone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Storm voyager vs other strutless

Postby dorpadon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey,
I am interested in purchasing a 12m storm voyager limited edition for foiling, mostly because of the price.
How does its perofrmence compered to other strutless/one strut kite such as the mono, boxer ultra etc?
Is it a good option for wave riding as well?

Thanks!

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.

Re: Storm voyager vs other strutless

Postby Wielandt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:49 pm

I have been foiling with the Storm Voyager 12 for about a year, but changed it to a Airush Ultra 12 8-9 months ago.

They are both excellent kites for foiling. Both very very light and stays in the air in almost no wind. I never experienced any of them dropping out of the sky due to lack of wind. It happend a few times with my LF Solo 12 which was my first foiling kite.

Also very easy to relaunch.

The main different is that the Ultra is easier to handle If the wind picks up and you get overpowered and imo also better to go close to the wind.

Soo right now my quiver are 15 Storm Voyager, 12 and 9 Ultra and 6.5 LF Solo. When the new Ultras are coming I will by them again for sure.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 am

I've had one for 1 1/2 years as my light wind foil kite and it's awesome it hangs in the air in 5/6 kts and I can ride in 8kts I'm 70 kg and a medium size foil I'm using 28m lines but I just switched to 32m lines and I think I can go in lighter wind now. If I lost this kite I would go out and buy one again at half the price of the Airush Ultra.

dorpadon
Rare Poster
Gear: fone
Been thanked: 0

Postby dorpadon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm

How does it preform in the waves with sb?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm

dorpadon wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm
How does it preform in the waves with sb?

Do you use such a big kite in waves on surfboards ?
Or not average weight maybe :roll:

I have tried it a few times, but being average weight it does not work at all, have tried it with "classic" wavekites too (heavier), as well as my one and no-strut, and none of them works at all in the waves, for DTL riding...
A 9 m2 even if you can not go upwind, is a blast and works so much better, compared to any 12 m2, is my experience.

The one and strutless ones turns pretty good because of lower weight, but they flap a lot more when powered, which I dont like either.

You can typically ride with a 6 or 7 m2 on a wavefoil instead of a waveboard on a 12 m2, so always chosen instead - much better :rollgrin:

If you just want to use the big 12 m2 light kites from your "hydrofoil" life, for an occasional ride in light winds on a surfboard, then they work just fine, but otherwise not IMO.

8) Peter

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 am

I´ve tried Cloud C1, LF Solo (first Edition), Storm Voyager II and North Mono 2016/2017.
Apart from the Mono, all single or no-strut kites for me have the same downside: A lack of depower. As soon as the wind picks up just a bit for the respective kite size, they get quite a bit of a handful and are no fun to ride any more (on a waveboard). Particularly when you ride faster, you cannot depower these guys properly, they just keep on pulling you along.
The Mono has good highend / depower though. Not as good a a proper 3-strut wave kite, but sufficient.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 am

Onda wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 am
I´ve tried Cloud C1, LF Solo (first Edition), Storm Voyager II and North Mono 2016/2017.
Apart from the Mono, all single or no-strut kites for me have the same downside: A lack of depower. As soon as the wind picks up just a bit for the respective kite size, they get quite a bit of a handful and are no fun to ride any more (on a waveboard). Particularly when you ride faster, you cannot depower these guys properly, they just keep on pulling you along.
The Mono has good highend / depower though. Not as good a a proper 3-strut wave kite, but sufficient.
You might want to retry version 4 of the Cloud with the CCS bar.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:48 am

Onda wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 am

Hmmm, odd, I would say the opposite - the big Mono's keeps pulling (too much for many foilers), whereas other onestrut or strutless kites can be depowered a lot (dont know about the Cloud though...) - but as said, on cost of the flapping sound eventually :roll:

Would still say, that IF you are heavy and ride on a surfboard, at least 3 struts for a 12 (and for all smaller sizes no matter what you weigh) would probably be better and stabilize everything when powered.
In general, as huge differences amongst the brands/types :wink:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”