Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

riding hands-up

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

riding hands-up

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Funny trick I tested this week-end : hydrofoiling without touching the bar ...It is more impressive than it is, and really funny for intermediate foilers like I am.

I saw some videos of french riders ( marc Blanc unhoked, Steph Goffinet, both using waves as propulsor and kite hanging in neutral pull) ; but ... I had no waves (and not 1/4th of their skill), so I wanted to test in straight line. I pulled my bar stopper to the middle of the power rope and rided hands free during hundreds of meters, just touching one pre-line here and then (every 15-20 seconds approx ) to put the kite at the correct elevation.

Feeling is like snowsurfing down a gentle slope, and you can play with different upwind angles, toe side, with a big smile and sometime pumping the hydrofoil to compensated for speed loss :heartface:
you fell in a kind of Kai Lenny style during some precious seconds :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: riding hands-up

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm

So true Regis - I did it without a stopper on flat water some time ago, just to feel how you "glide" without any kitepower, and how everything were balanced.

And now I do it for fun on waves, small windwaves or bigger ones everything works - put the kite up close to 12, let the bar fully out, so it can hang for a long time without input, and you can surf the wave, and pump the board, and turn on the wave.

I find it quite difficult (at my level) - and you need to put your feet (front foot) in over the center of the board, otherwise it wont work at all...

But awesome to put your hands out and "fly" (surf) on a wave without ANY kitepower at all, and see how long you can ride.

A couple of weekends ago:

Toeside on a small one

Sunny day

And a really big set outside - YES !

8) PF

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Re: riding hands-up

Postby salvino » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 am

Yes! I have found this to be so fun and great for skill advancement. If I find I’m struggling at learn some component of a move I take a break by riding no hands and pumping and balancing. It resets my posture. Then my attempts at whatever are always better and more in balance.

Return to “Hydrofoil”