Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jumping=new love of my life!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Jumping=new love of my life!

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Yeah, the foil surprisingly isn't that big a deal.

I just jumped my Sonic2 11m the other day and can confirm it's totally insane. Double my next highest jump on a twintip without even trying.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm

X sure the next king or air they Will use hydrofoil😁😁😁maybe twintip hydrofoil finally

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm

And I would like to add that the foil is the go to board to boost in places like my main spot, that gets choppy as hell as soon as the wind hits 15 knots.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:22 pm
@ cwood it's only your 5th year kiting...which is really almost 3rd year cause you don't kite on water all year long...so your wind speed is ridiculous

You may think it's 8 knots in your kite but it's not

Toronto water is cold so with warm wind you have a gradient...sure you can measure all day long the wind from the ground but on the water the dense wind is much windier

Just common sense...laws of physics prohibit such heights with "normal" 8 knots of wind in the kite

I've landboarded in true onshore 8kn....generated speed of 24knots and never got to 10 meters...with 15...19...21 ram airs

Think more about what's going on where you kite and give details of how much wind power you estimate you had to get such height...it will near double what you are saying

(I'm in my 20th year kiting all year long minimum 15 times a month in mostly light winds)....i've seen a thing or two :wink:

Good luck
Have fun
Its all about fun....and fun we have. I kite all year Mr....every month of the year in Toronto as long as water is open and the temp is above freezing...hundreds of sessions and thousands of boosts. 3 trips to warm areas like cuba and hatteras a year. So don't be telling me how much I kite please. I have been part of wind sports for 35 years.

Foils and foil kites allow us to kite almost any day there is wind. I will agree that colder air is more dense and the performance is better in a given wind range and in Toronto we often have "doming" wind with power aloft which is just the most fun thing ever....unreal. Those days are not every day though. Today we had a beautiful 89 degree day, 8-12 knots and it was a high 30's and 40 foot day....which is expected. Would you have been here you could try to say that it was not...but to anyone watching that is honest with themselves they would have concurred with the data. With respect to wind speed we base it on the myriad of sensors around us in this day and age. Maybe its magical in Toronto....but we do the same in warm climes....and the tubes sitting on beach just wonder how the hell they are seeing what they are seeing.

As the wind gets north of 25 knots the differences begin to shrink...the twin tips and tubes with a skilled rider equal the numbers.

Nobody here 3 years ago would have thought we could do what we do today....so saying you haven't been able to is a bit limited in one's thinking....and landboarding is a different beast (btw you have big cahones to do that over land. Respect on that.

All I know is that its the most fun you can have with clothes on....and its a good thing based on your 35cm reference at 8 knots. I'm always concerned with shrinkage.

I don't know where you live but perhaps paths with cross at some point and notes can be compared and demos given. Regardless of opinions we just have fun and enjoy the heck out of it.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 am

cwood wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm
I have been part of wind sports for 35 years.

I will agree that colder air is more dense and the performance is better in a given wind range and in Toronto we often have "doming" wind with power aloft which is just the most fun thing ever.

Today we had a beautiful 89 degree day, 8-12 knots and it was a high 30's and 40 foot day.

With respect to wind speed we base it on the myriad of sensors around us in this day and age.
Let's not have a pissing contest :lol: but i've been part of wind sports for 55 years :wink: kitesurfing 20 x 190 = 3800

Your colder air density comes from your very cold water right now around 67F versus the heat wave you are having r...major formula for mega juice

Sensors don't explain the whole story about what you are experiencing on the water so you should not base the wind speed power on it

The 8-12 knots where you kited today had the power of a 16-24 knots of wind that's why you could jump high...when it's that dense the apparent wind force you create is incredible

It can all be explained....been there done that and you don't even need a ram air or foilboard

I'n glad you are having fun :thumb: that's what counts....enthusiasm !!

Had myself upwelling conditions yesterday with air 86F and water temp drop of 13 degrees overnight to 73F
Side side shore very light wind but knowing my spot i knew that even if it looked dead zero whitecaps glassy ocean the session would bring me great joy

With 6 knots on the beach there was 12 knots once i launched...then 18 knots of power on the water...5 meter jumps with 17 tube...quad strapped surfboard..i killed it...fun fun
Sensors around showed 8 knots but when i reported my session to my friends i talked about that i had the depower line pulled all the way it in what felt like 18 knots...yes...surreal
I don't say that i was jumping in 8 knots of wind... that's all

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 am
cwood wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm
I have been part of wind sports for 35 years.

I will agree that colder air is more dense and the performance is better in a given wind range and in Toronto we often have "doming" wind with power aloft which is just the most fun thing ever.

Today we had a beautiful 89 degree day, 8-12 knots and it was a high 30's and 40 foot day.

With respect to wind speed we base it on the myriad of sensors around us in this day and age.
Let's not have a pissing contest :lol: but i've been part of wind sports for 55 years :wink: kitesurfing 20 x 190 = 3800

Your colder air density comes from your very cold water right now around 67F versus the heat wave you are having r...major formula for mega juice

Sensors don't explain the whole story about what you are experiencing on the water so you should not base the wind speed power on it

The 8-12 knots where you kited today had the power of a 16-24 knots of wind that's why you could jump high...when it's that dense the apparent wind force you create is incredible

It can all be explained....been there done that and you don't even need a ram air or foilboard

I'n glad you are having fun :thumb: that's what counts....enthusiasm !!

Had myself upwelling conditions yesterday with air 86F and water temp drop of 13 degrees overnight to 73F
Side side shore very light wind but knowing my spot i knew that even if it looked dead zero whitecaps glassy ocean the session would bring me great joy

With 6 knots on the beach there was 12 knots once i launched...then 18 knots of power on the water...5 meter jumps with 17 tube...quad strapped surfboard..i killed it...fun fun
Sensors around showed 8 knots but when i reported my session to my friends i talked about that i had the depower line pulled all the way it in what felt like 18 knots...yes...surreal
I don't say that i was jumping in 8 knots of wind... that's all
oh its not a pissing contest...its a gentlemanly discussion! :D

we can debate the layers of wind strength till the cows come home....without measurement its just opinion.

I fundamentally disagree with your comment on not needing ram air or a foilboard to perform in these conditions. In this you are wrong. At the 5 to 15 wind range, wind aloft or miraculously homogeneous a well piloted hydro and foil kite will spank anyone on twintip guaranteed. Its why its a revelation if you are into boosting and live in a place where you take what you can get.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 am

Agree that where you live in fresh water TT sucks and surfboard type boards too

For the foil water is water it don't care it will lift and rip no matter if lame fresh or high salt buoyancy

Hey I'll stay content with my lower heights in the waves

2 more sessions and I'll be at 100 for the year...you?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 am

I tried foilboarding last year and I have to say it was the gear, not the learning curve that dissuaded me from continuing. Putting together a foilboard while the wind was blowing would often drive me nuts. However, boosting over 30 feet in ten knots has my attention. I have a full quiver of Flysurfer Soul Kites.

I am guessing the progression is to start with a low to mid-aspect hydrofoil and then progress to a high aspect hydrofoil to do the big boosts. I suspect I could use the same board.

I kite inland lakes and is it not uncommon to boost 20 feet high in 10 knots with a twin tip because the gusts are often in the high teens. I can only imagine the boost with a hydrofoil. :thumb:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:25 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 am
Agree that where you live in fresh water TT sucks and surfboard type boards too

For the foil water is water it don't care it will lift and rip no matter if lame fresh or high salt buoyancy

Hey I'll stay content with my lower heights in the waves

2 more sessions and I'll be at 100 for the year...you?
100 is a ton. 65 for me.

I think its not so much the salt or fresh but more the prevailing winds etc. The great lakes suffer from hot dead summers....but we have tons of variety. I do notice a difference foiling in salt water but I think its more on surface action of the board vs the wing.

I think surfboards are very appealing but TT's seem so primitive when the go slogging along.... digging edges to stay up wind....displacing all that water.

Being content in all the choices we have is great....so many couch potatoes out there. We are very lucky to have what we have.

Fun debating with you. :thumb:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 am
I tried foilboarding last year and I have to say it was the gear, not the learning curve that dissuaded me from continuing. Putting together a foilboard while the wind was blowing would often drive me nuts. However, boosting over 30 feet in ten knots has my attention. I have a full quiver of Flysurfer Soul Kites.

I am guessing the progression is to start with a low to mid-aspect hydrofoil and then progress to a high aspect hydrofoil to do the big boosts. I suspect I could use the same board.

I kite inland lakes and is it not uncommon to boost 20 feet high in 10 knots with a twin tip because the gusts are often in the high teens. I can only imagine the boost with a hydrofoil. :thumb:
Hey Fernmanus!

My girlfriend flew her new Soul 12m today for the first time and loved it!! She got rid of her 12m Speed5 because it was just a bit heavy for hydro riding. Very pleased with the Soul. She was boosting it right away. She did have a bit of a swim...... 15 mins in the water and not more than a cup of water in the thing once she drifted in! Amazing. She said "I didn't bother with self rescue procedures because it was puffy and dragging me in. My race kites, if not rolled up, would have had 1000 lb of water in them.

Don't bother with a low aspect wing. Go mid like a Moses 558 and you will be happy to 50 or 60 feet....great all round wing. Low aspect is not going to work if you are into boosting. Mid aspect are not unfriendly for a beginner. And what you are imagining about what you could get done on a foil in those gusts is correct.

I am very anxious when the wind is blowing and time is short (actually even when there is lots of time :-) ) I carry my board with mast always mounted. Fuse, wing and stabilizer are one unit with two screws...done. Very fast. Throw in no pumping on your Souls and you can beat anyone onto the water.

Return to “Hydrofoil”