Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need some advice on foil kites please (mostly Ozone related)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Need some advice on foil kites please (mostly Ozone related)

Postby Macster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

Hi crew - new to the forum but a long time reader. Really awesome knowledge on this site, so thanks to all for your contributions.

I have a couple of questions that I'd love to put to the group around kite selection please (mostly Ozone based sorry). First, a bit on my profile and what I'm trying to achieve:

Background:
  • *I ride a Moses Fluente, weigh 85kgs
    *Been foiling for about 18 months / kitesurfing for 6 years
    *I like to freeride and go on long distance explorations, no racing - I usually foil when the wind is too light to ride my twin tip enjoyably, which is anywhere from 6-15 knots
    *I own a 9M Ozone Hyperlink which I fly with 23m lines and I've had for about 3 months now. Really like the feel and performance of that kite and I'm no stranger to looping the kite a lot in transitions and water starts to maximise it's light wind performance. It does me from around 7-8 knots and up with a bit of board pumping, but is most happy at 10 knots and above.
    *I've also demo'd the 11m Chrono V3 and Speed 5 12m. Chrono has amazing low-end for its size and in comparison to the 9m Hyperlink but a lot slower to turn (on 23m lines). A more technical kite for sure in that when pushing it in threshold wind there is only a very subtle warning before the canopy collapses and it falls to the water (you'd eventually dial that in better I think with time), whereas the Hyperlink you just chuck in a quick down loop even if the canopy has lost pressure and it will pull its self out of it. The Speed 5 possibly needed a tune but was a bit of a dog to fly in threshold wind and needed all sorts of rider input to keep it in the air, so I have ruled that out.
Questions:
Unfortunately I can't demo my two desired kites: the Chrono V3 13m and the Hyperlink 12m in the ultra light fabric so I'm seeking people's opinions on the two kites matched with my background. If I got the Chrono in a 13m I think 15m lines would be mandatory to restore some agility!

Second question is my Hyperlink takes on water really fast. I had forgot about this cause I haven't dunked it in a while now but I gave it to a friend yesterday who did and within 2 mins it had taken on so much water that it couldn't relaunch. I was wondering how this kite's design compares to the Chrono in two specific areas. Firstly the Hyperlinks intake vents are flush mounted on the on the leading edge where as the Chronos are recessed. So if you crash the kite leading edge down it would be harder for water to get in the Chrono (the Speed 5 was even more recessed). Secondly, the wing tips of both kites have a velcro flap to let air (and water) out of. On the Hyperlink, even when sealed there is still a 30mm hole that seems to let water in. Does the Chrono V3 have this too?

Water ingress is important for my second and larger foil kite because I will be pushing it into threshold winds and would prefer a kite that isn't guaranteed unlaunchable in less than 2 mins of being on the water!

Thanks all.
Attachments
36912215_10156017338601284_6741057819404926976_n.jpg

Macster
Frequent Poster

Re: Need some advice on foil kites please (mostly Ozone related)

Postby Macster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 am

Another photo
Attachments
received_10156017337351284.jpeg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:05 am

With water getting in through the vents this is to do with the sock length. The longer the sock the harder for water to enter. It has nothing to do with the shape. The hole in the TE corner is to drain water and sand, all foils should have this. Flysurfer has quite the lead on Ozone when it comes to usability, especially with water. Their kites are more air and water tight and drain better. The most notable thing about Soul is changing AR all the way up to 21m. Means the kites will be well suited for their respective conditions. There is a few other kites out there if you are interested, for absolute low end the Pulsion is the best. For budget the Pansh Aurora 2 or A15. At 85kg you will be looking at 15,18m kite to get the most. You will want something before them. You can go from 12 to 18m.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 am

I can't give real feedback, but was/am in same situation as you. Have Hyperlink 9 UL. Love it.

Did a lot of research and conclusion was best option would be Chronos 3,13m UL. But could not justify spending so much money. There's no used ones.
Second option was used Chronos 2 13 or Flysurfer. Sonic 3 13. Reviews of Sonic 2 for light wind are unequivocally positive, a friend has one and likes it, and there are used ones a available.
I got a Sonic 2. Only flown it 2 hours on water but it is distance kite, not freestyle because it is slow turning.

My research also seemed to indicate that Hyperlink 12 UL is really a HL 9 for heavier riders, not really a low wind kite. There's some Hyperlink 12 available used,I think due to this.

You got the money : Chronos 3 13m UL.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 am

Hi Macster,

similar discussion here: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2399999

don't think to much about technical details. Todays foil kites of the two big brands (Ozone and Flysurfer) are all developed to a level that existing problems will be more caused due to usage, but not construction. Just the first Ozone Chrono V1 and V2 had a bit an issue about Drainage, but the two one you namend shouldn't have big problems. But you are right that in some situation the water absorption to release ratio can become very important.
Had a session these days with always 5-10 minutes waiting in 0-3 knts with the kite in the deep water, then always just a short 1-2 minutes gusts with 7-10 knts where I had to release water, start the kite and go more upwind than I lost during Swimming, to get to my lee - landing place. Worked with my Sonic² but required quite some experience.

I think if being less experienced the Flysurfer Soul will be the best kite for every relaunching light wind games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad449f3R0tw

But as I said, on the end it is more about the experience to handle foil kites, even with some cheaper constructions it is nearly impossible that a foil doesn't relaunch anymore in more than 6 knts of wind, even in deep water if you know what you are doing. For example the in the following shown lecca-lecca MINIMA beta which cost half of a flysurfer behaved pretty great in many aspects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxNe5UQD2w

But as you live in Australia and in the beginning the support of a hopefully skilled and motivated reseller can be pretty important I would recomend to stay with the big brands first, who have a store in your town:

https://flysurfer.com/fs-partner/
PO Box 5110 Burnley, VIC 3121
http://distribute.net.au
0061 386091633

And don't believe what people (as also me) tell you here about their very best own kites ... just check the hard facts as pictures and videos to get your own impression.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am

doppled

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:06 am

Thanks all and Horst Sergio especially for the second video on relaunch technique. The Soul does get great reviews and is better priced than the Chrono. Cheers.

Macster
Frequent Poster

Postby Macster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am

For the record, I helped my friend tune his speed 5. It was 1.5cm out on the bridal. What a difference! It now generates 50% more power and hangs better in the air.

Oh and a big thank you to Famous Frank too for his time and advice offline.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Macster wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am
Oh and a big thank you to Famous Frank too for his time and advice offline.

Always happy to help if I can!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”