Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf Foils for Kiteboarding?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surf Foils for Kiteboarding?

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 am

My favourite foil is the J Shapes Cruzer. I use it probably 80% of the time in preference to the Freeride foil.

I can ride in lighter winds. I can ride slower. Top speed is only a few knots less than the Freeride. I can blast around in waves and really carve the turns. It is very forgiving of technique errors.

I really like the Freeride foil but it is less forgiving of poor technique or poor conditions.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tswierkocki » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm riding the Cloud 9 S24 surf foil 100% of the time while kiting. I'm 165 lbs (75kg).

I started on the Zeeko Black & White then moved to the Carver wing. I wanted something that turned better so I moved on to the Zeeko Spitfire with standard and XLW wings.

I got the Cloud 9 to give surf foiling a go but now I'm kiting on it 100% of the time and enjoying it more each time I use it.

I just like carving turns and riding waves. I only ride in a straight line to get back upwind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm
I'm riding the Cloud 9 S24 surf foil 100% of the time while kiting. I'm 165 lbs (75kg).

I started on the Zeeko Black & White then moved to the Carver wing. I wanted something that turned better so I moved on to the Zeeko Spitfire with standard and XLW wings.

I got the Cloud 9 to give surf foiling a go but now I'm kiting on it 100% of the time and enjoying it more each time I use it.

I just like carving turns and riding waves. I only ride in a straight line to get back upwind.

What are the ups and downs then, comparing the canard XLW to the 1130 cm2 S24 regular?

Or if you had time, would you rather wait for an XXLW spitfire which should be more in the same size range?

You have ridden three quite big and still quite lively wings, so what are your ups and downs compared in general canard versus regular?

Maybe you solely wanted a bigger wing, and here there are some to choose from these days, the Cloud S24 (1130 cm2) or Ketos 1200 or Moses Onda 633 (1190 cm2), but no canards yet.

8) Peter

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm

I just had my first session on the new Fone 1000cm2 front wing. Wind was around 7-10 knots with RRD Emotion 10.5. (80kg wet)
Well, I have to say I was very impressed in all departments, even the top end was enjoyable, but of coarse not like my other wing which is a 600cm2.

For light wind, its a big plus that I was able to stay flying even at walking speed, an experience (luxury) I never had before...

I think, given our local conditions in the summer, this will be my go to wing.

Regarding the connections, my foil mast is KF, but I have two boards one KF and one with plate (Naish Hoover) the conversion box works perfect.

Cheers

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm
tswierkocki wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm

What are the ups and downs then, comparing the canard XLW to the 1130 cm2 S24 regular?

I come from a surfing background. I learned on the Black and White and then switched to the Carver wing. Once I was able to foil waves I felt like the Carver needed too much front foot pressure while carving a turn. Switching to the Spitfire was amazing. Being able to carve off the back foot was exactly what I was looking for. I expected the S24 to also be front foot heavy but it is not. I would say the S24 is nicely balanced between the front and back foot. For me the S24 carves a really nice turn.

Or if you had time, would you rather wait for an XXLW spitfire which should be more in the same size range?

I honestly don't miss the carnard. I mainly went for the S24 since it just looked right to me. Watching videos of guys surf foiling on it looked like it carved well without a lot of front foot pressure. I also wanted to go carbon to keep the weight down.

I'm also riding the 70 cm mast 100% of the time and enjoying it. I though I would go to the 95 cm mast for kiting but I have not yet.

You have ridden three quite big and still quite lively wings, so what are your ups and downs compared in general canard versus regular?

Carver had too much front foot pressure for me. Spitfire was awesome but required attention since it was a bit pitch sentitive. S24 is super stable but still carves well and starts super early. The S24 has a locked in feeling but is still very loose while turning.

Maybe you solely wanted a bigger wing, and here there are some to choose from these days, the Cloud S24 (1130 cm2) or Ketos 1200 or Moses Onda 633 (1190 cm2), but no canards yet.

I think your correct. The S24 is just much easier to ride with the big wing. I normally spent way too much time riding toeside on smaller wings and was only making about 50% of my flying foot switches. I was in a bit a rut and not really progressing. After the S24 I'm riding switch all the time, getting 100% of my flying foot switches, and getting my best carves on waves to date.

After the S24 I now think that my other foils were too fast for me when riding waves. Anything over waist high and I was going too fast. I just feel more connected to the kite and the wave on the S24.

Going from the XLW wings to the S24 was similar to going from the standard Spitfire wings to the XLW wings. I probably would have liked the XXLW wings.

I've only ridden the S24 in the ocean so far and I'm happy with the top end speed. In Oct our winds go offshore on the ocean side and we switch to riding in the bays. It will be interesting to see if I still like the S24 in flat water.

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 pm

I bought the Surf wing, a Ketos 660-1200, and got it today.

Has been a Ketos SUP wing for some time, that now will be offered to kitefoils, given the demand from riders.

Tried it with a 9 m2 normal kite in 8-9 knots on a Hover board (extreme lightwind board), worked great, turns quite fast for its size.

Then the wind dropped to 6-7 knots and I took a 12 m2 strutless on long lines, and a smaller 130 more "surfy" style board.

Must say I can get convinced this is the thing for waves and fun yes - even when down at 6 knots I could have fun carving turns back and fourth and a lot easier to avoid "dropping" down, than with any of the smaller wings.
Transitions a lot easier too of course.

Time will tell how it works compared to "regular classic" wavewings a bit or a lot smaller in size - but my first impressions, extremely positive.

Best thing is, that the trim isnt altered so you dont need to change anything regarding feet positions when changing wings, plug and play go ride :naughty:

A big low AR wing the 660-1200, and the M stabilizer - if I took my S or XS stabilizer it would turn even faster so have to try these the next time :thumb:

Fun to be able to carve foiling in 6½ knots

Beautiful water at my local "backyard" spot

After the first session on the 1200 cm2 Surf wing, must say, I might be "a believer" just like many of you out there :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 am

Toldja ;)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 pm
... even when down at 6 knots I could have fun carving turns back and fourth and a lot easier to avoid "dropping" down, than with any of the smaller wings.
Transitions a lot easier too of course.
After the first session on the 1200 cm2 Surf wing, must say, I might be "a believer" just like many of you out there :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Ehmm...I still feel a bit guilty about too much sarcasm over your Marek’s board. Now imagine him making you a 36”x16”x1” 3 lbs pocket board for this pretty wing.

BTW pretty nicely swept back wing and stabilizer - might be good to avoid collecting seaweed on them.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:14 am

Hi Peter,
How much biger is this one compared to wave xl (span and surface)? It looks huge. Thanks.
Jaros

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 am

It is huge indeed, just over 50% bigger than the WaveXL with 1200 cm2 :D
Onda 633 is similar sized 1190 cm2.

The Ketos referencce numbers on their web is always giving Span-Area in mm-cm2.

The "Wave" wings are thus

Wave: KF500-570
WaveXL: KF575-790
SUP/Surf: KF660-1200

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”