pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

sanding foil trailing edge?

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Went out yesterday foiling for the 1st time without a wetsuit, big mistake !. Two cuts, one they glued together the other was stitched. Right on the shin bone. Didn't really hit my leg very hard, banged into the rear edge while floundering getting into position to waterstart. One of those litewind onshore days. Can I sand all the sharp edges down? I'm on a ss hoverglide so its not like I'm worried about compromising high performance or speed. Thanks

PS,anyone have luck with any certain brand of waterproof bandage? Something available in the USA.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Re: sanding foil trailing edge?

Postby oregonkiter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

These are amazing: https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/nexcar ... 542&rt=rud

I always sand my trailing edges the day I get my new wings now. Just too sharp as is. I also wear full rubber now, including high top booties. I nicked a tendon on my ankle last Fall and was in a walking boot for 8 weeks post surgery. Not worth it. I also need the sun protection at this point. I look like a cross between a golfer, and a scuba diver...

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm
These are amazing: https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/nexcar ... 542&rt=rud

I always sand my trailing edges the day I get my new wings now. Just too sharp as is. I also wear full rubber now, including high top booties. I nicked a tendon on my ankle last Fall and was in a walking boot for 8 weeks post surgery. Not worth it. I also need the sun protection at this point. I look like a cross between a golfer, and a scuba diver...
Thanx,went out to store and picked up those bandages.Our water is far from pristine!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm guessing you are still just getting started foiling and you are trying to learn strapless... right?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm
I'm guessing you are still just getting started foiling and you are trying to learn strapless... right?
Half right! Front hook only,then of course that broke,threw a footstrap on front.I've foiled about 15 times.Got It dialed in as far as getting up and riding no problem,turns are non existent so far! The problem was just walking out from the shallows at low tide(200 mtrs) and the 2 -3 foot waves crashing on the series of sandbars walking out.Coupled with directly onshore wind,plus I put the 24" mast on because of low tide.90 degrees so just shorts.Then I'm trying to keep the foil in the water with these big for the amount of wind waves and it turned into less than stellar day to say the least!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm
Half right! Front hook only,then of course that broke,threw a footstrap on front.I've foiled about 15 times.Got It dialed in as far as getting up and riding no problem,turns are non existent so far! The problem was just walking out from the shallows at low tide(200 mtrs) and the 2 -3 foot waves crashing on the series of sandbars walking out.Coupled with directly onshore wind,plus I put the 24" mast on because of low tide.90 degrees so just shorts.Then I'm trying to keep the foil in the water with these big for the amount of wind waves and it turned into less than stellar day to say the least!
Sounds like our beach on southern Lake Huron on a north wind, its awesome with side shore winds though cannot wait for the Autumn westerlies.
Waves are tough to deal with, the longer mast is just more difficult to manage so don't rush it. I would add the 2nd front foot strap sooner then later as you will end up with a more comfortable stance once you can open your hips a bit more and learning to switch your feet will be easier since you are not trying to occupy the same space at the same time.
Try flipping the board upside down and walking out holding the stabilizer pointing the board in front of you and angling the board to float over the waves while you walk out till its deep enough to flip over.
I have front foot hooks if you want them, but honestly I think they are a waste of money because they require the same skill to water start as strapless.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am

<<I have front foot hooks if you want them, but honestly I think they are a waste of money because they require the same skill to water start as strapless.>>

I think you're correct. But, when you're tall--I'm 6'4"--curling up into a ball to strapless start gets super tiring when you're trying to learn new skills, and falling in a lot. With the hook I don't have to scrunch up to start. Much easier for me = more energy for longer sessions.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:00 am

oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am
<<I have front foot hooks if you want them, but honestly I think they are a waste of money because they require the same skill to water start as strapless.>>

I think you're correct. But, when you're tall--I'm 6'4"--curling up into a ball to strapless start gets super tiring when you're trying to learn new skills, and falling in a lot. With the hook I don't have to scrunch up to start. Much easier for me = more energy for longer sessions.
I’m suggesting to abandon the hook and go with two front straps till learned skillz allow you to water start without straps or hooks. Also a lower volume board is helpful with this.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am

You could also ride in a full suit and booties when learning, as later on you will somehow learn not to cut yourself nomore, and can ride again "normal" in shorts or shorty.

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 am

Its 25-30C here in Sweden, Water is 22C. unprecedented warmth. Been foiling almost 2 years. Not cut myself yet.
I´m still wearing 3-2 full suit, impact vest, helmet and low 2mm booties. Its too warm...
On travels i wear a 2mm shorty " no sleeve John" with impact vest and no shoes.
Ive learned that as i approach the board in deep water i keep legs straight and below the knee bent back- like approaching board "on my knees". That way i never kick it.

Return to “Hydrofoil”