Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

I give in

Postby mike dubs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Been resisting foiling but am going to commit.

Kiting 20 yrs last 10 solely strapless SB to good standard, only use 8/6m airush wave kites from 18mph up if there’s waves.

So only want to foil strapless and buy 1 more kite for 10/18 mph mellow foiling.

What board, what foil and what kite? All help appreciated guys.

Regards

Mike

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: I give in

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 pm

mike dubs wrote: Been resisting foiling but am going to commit.

Kiting 20 yrs last 10 solely strapless SB to good standard, only use 8/6m airush wave kites from 18mph up if there’s waves.

So only want to foil strapless and buy 1 more kite for 10/18 mph mellow foiling.

What board, what foil and what kite? All help appreciated guys.

Regards

Mike
1.) I wouldn’t by a new kite quite yet. Your 8m will just about cover 10-18 mph (probably more like 12-20, but close enough). Learning to foil in really light wind sucks, don’t bother with 10 mph until you’ve got some experience, get a new kite then.

2.) of the foils I’ve used, my favorite is Lift 110 (with 36” mast). I haven’t tried all that many foils, but that one really works for me and is reasonably cheap (for a carbon foil). It is forgiving enough to learn on and you’ll never outgrow it (unless you get into proper racing).

3.) I have always used diy boards for foiling, so can’t help you, I guess something cheap. Make sure that it either has tracks, or holes with the correct spacing. I wouldn’t spend a bunch on a board, if you are only strapless (like me) you’ll likely quickly change it out for a small pocket board, but I wouldn’t want to learn on a pocket board. Definitely possible to convert a surfboard if you have extras lying around.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:32 pm

i'm not sure about using an 8M Wave to start learning. That kite is lightning fast (I own it and the 10M Wave), and I think something a bit slower is actually a benefit for beginner foiling. In really light winds, you'll have to whip that 8M around, and that will take away from what should be your main concentration: learning to foil. I use an Airush 12M Ultra for lightest winds. It's so stable in the air you can almost ignore it. I tried a foil kite but personally hated it. other than that, buy a board/foil used. you may not like it after all...but i doubt it as i was also a long holdout myself and now love it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:56 pm

No problem your 8 m2 will be perfect for learning, as you will need 16 mph wind for the first times out and an 8 m2 is quite slow because of its size.

You ride waves so are used to "normal" kitesizes 6 to 8 m2 max and not these huge ass balloons some use :D

One thing - use one strap or hook when learning, you will learn WAY faster this way, and then you can take it off :thumb:

Many of my "waveboard" friends have learned on their 6 and 7 and 8 m2 kites.

When you have learned, you can use your 6 m2 in 18 mph, and your 8 down to 12-13 mph.

For below 12 mph you need a single strut or strutless 12 m2 kite, if you are average weight, and you will eventually be able to go down to 8 mph winds.

Board - not too small for starters.

Foil - not too small a wing for starters.

8) Peter

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm

if your a strapless rider get a surf foil, don't fool around with kite foils

go foil, LF impulse, Moses onda, lift surf...etc.

with a short mast don't get a board wider than 18/19 inches, if a regular mast, whatever board will work..

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 am

Axis Ride foil. Still the best I've used.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 am

Moses Onda, MHL surf or Levitaz Cruizer
LF Galaxy Board
Hyperlink 9

If you want super premium go Ketos wave and a Ketos board.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 am

Long lines helped me the most . Big power stroke to get up on a smallish kite then once I'm up I'm still on a kite that I don't get over powered on.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:51 am

Lifetime surfer with over 18 years kiting. Mostly on Surfboards the last bunch of years. Started foiling a little over 2 years ago. I have pretty much foiled every session unless the waves are too big to foil for the last 2 years.

My favorite setup for kiting is the Cloud 9 S24 surf foil and 42” Kanaha Shapes pocket board.

The Cloud 9 foil requires very little kite power, is fast enough not to be boring, and slow enough to ride waves well.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 am

I second the opinion about the Lift 110. It is a perfectly good all around foil to start with and to stick with for years. Too many new foilers end up investing in one foil to learn and then spend more money a year later for a new foil. Something like the 110 will help you avoid that expense. Also, a lighter carbon foil is not just something that you might want later, I think it makes the learning easier. The lighter foil is just easier to wrestle with. And with its lighter weight it hurts a little less when it hits you. To me, it's a little cruel that we have advanced foilers with carbon foils, but beginners with heavy foils. For sure there are great aluminum mast foils, I am just saying that lighter helps the beginner in some ways.
I had just one 30 minute attempt first with straps, then went strapless after hurting my ankle. Assuming (and this is important...otherwise this recommendation is less valid for sure) you have a light foil and it is a attached to a relatively small non-floaty board so that the whole thing can sit on its side a little longer while preparing to waterstart....then strapless works fine to start. I have 4 friends who learning foiling strapless from the very beginning and maybe it was a little more challenging during the first session, but that was quickly overcome. And they all learned on relatively small boards.(eg 43 inches). For example..one with a kanaha shapes board with lift foil. But if a floaty board, especially if with heavy foil....a strap as Peter suggested will save a lot of frustration.

Return to “Hydrofoil”