skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None

Board size Benefits

Postby skideeppow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 pm

So, I currently ride a GW 101 with a moses 590. THe board is a LF Galaxy 4'8". LOve the board, it has changed the way i am foiling. Have about 50% of my foot transfers. I feel really comfortable on it.

I was going to get the new 4'2" because it is much easier to travel with. I have to fly to kite since i am in CO. I weight 215.

The 4'2" has a little less volume and is 2 inches narrower.

I wont be able to try it, anyone give me an idea of what i will feel? Probably not as stable?

Let me know any thoughts.
Last edited by skideeppow on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board size Benefits

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 am

skideeppow wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 pm
So, I currently ride a GW 101 with a moses 590. THe board is a LF Galaxy 4'8". LOve the board, it has changed the way i am foiling. Have about 50% of my foot transfers. I feel really comfortable on it.

I was going to get the new 4'2" because it is much easier to travel with. I have to fly to kite since i am in CO. I weight 215.

The 4'2" has a little less volume and is 2 inches narrower.

I wont be able to try it, anyone give me an idea of what i will feel? Probably not as stable?

Let me know any thoughts.

In general, smaller boards are a lot more fun when foiling, feels better, better control in jumps, turns better (and particularly FEEL like they turn better), dont catch the edges in chop waves, fast to waterstart, and packs down a lot easier :thumb:

The downsides are:
In marginal winds, even with a bigger wing, you can not ride as early, nor hump through lulls without going down.
You will risk hitting the bottom with your rear wing a lot more in low winds when starting, so you have to get a bit further out before trying to start.
You dont have a pleasant board to sit on for either relaunching, or when drifting ashore from far out, or if you have to ditch the kite and paddle on your board for a longer distance against current/wind maybe.
For beginners it is a bit less stable when on the surface as you write, but it wont take long till it doesnt matter much.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”