“Light” wind tubes

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Rolavi2
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: “Light” wind tubes

Postby Rolavi2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 pm

I am 91 kg. I find my 12m kitetech to be not enough juice over 10m boxer. Might be my skills.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:36 am

While weight is important. The two factors I see as most advantageous are the reverse relaunch and quick turning.
I believe a true foiling Lei focuses on quick turning to make up for the fact that using longer lines is important to get into a wind range with a smaller kite that won’t overpower you when up and going.
Light kites seem to drift better which is a plus and react better when you need them to get back into the power.
Most Kiters are brand stuck and will go with the kite their brand labels as a foiling kite but when you look into the design brief there is minimal about foiling and more about travel lightness and wave riding.

I believe a great foil designed lei works great in waves.
But a good light weight wave kite might be missing that extra something in foiling that most will never know unless they give it a go.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 am

@Rolavi2 : A bit out of tube topic but If you are talking about kitech frs, i think it is a pleasant and easy kite but not efficient in very kight wind as it lacks of power in the loop. It turns like a 9m foilkite but also it pulls like a 9m foilkite. You can try to increase a bit its camber (Shorten Z), that will give you more boost overall. HL is a bit more powerfull but still not the best in light if I report a friend of mine (Not tested on my side). Pulsion is far more powerful (Almost like 2-3m2 difference, hard to believe unless you test ...) and just a bit more technical .

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 am
@Rolavi2 : A bit out of tube topic but If you are talking about kitech frs, i think it is a pleasant and easy kite but not efficient in very kight wind as it lacks of power in the loop. It turns like a 9m foilkite but also it pulls like a 9m foilkite. You can try to increase a bit its camber (Shorten Z), that will give you more boost overall. HL is a bit more powerfull but still not the best in light if I report a friend of mine (Not tested on my side). Pulsion is far more powerful (Almost like 2-3m2 difference, hard to believe unless you test ...) and just a bit more technical .
Thank you for confirming my suspicions on the kitech. Should have gotten a 15m or a higher aspect 12m foil.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 pm

You're welcome. But race kite is not what i recommend you if you do not seek for combining upwind and speed. Medium ratio kites have instantaneous power at waterstart really efficient and accessible for light wind, more than race kite which needs speed to develop power (imagine a comparison with cars where both have the same motor, but medium AR is set on the 1st gear vs race kite are set on 2nd gear : less pull at start in very light but more speed after an acceleration period if enough wind to start).

So either you play with the camber of the frs, or you switch to another more powerful medium ratio. Pulsion is my prefered for low end and the best ratio power vs agility , then hyperlink UL (*) and the soul (*) (a bit heavy for very low end IMO but more watertight).

(*) from my exchanges with riders knowing both but not rested personnaly.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm

I have FRS 9 and fly it back to back with Soul 8 many times. FRS had little little maybe 5% less power than Soul but for sure is much stronger than same size LEI. If your 12 FRS is as strong as 10m boxer - something is wrong.

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:10 am

tomtom wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm
I have FRS 9 and fly it back to back with Soul 8 many times. FRS had little little maybe 5% less power than Soul but for sure is much stronger than same size LEI. If your 12 FRS is as strong as 10m boxer - something is wrong.
The whole the reason I have replied here is there is something wrong. It could be me.

My kitech is a fly4 and yes it doesn’t give me much lightwind range over boxer 10m. Could be skills as I have never owned a foil kite and have only used LEI for the past 15/16 years.

Have you tried the boxer. Quite an amazing kite and it has replaced my 12m single strut that is late model from another brand.

So I think I am gonna look to get a 12m boxer or Polson ultralight foil. My friend has a Polson 12m I will ask to demo and give feedback here on my experience.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 am

No i did not know boxer, Just own North Mono 12 in past - it was quite powerfull for 12 - but otherwise did not like it. Now i kite in same condition on 9 FRS. I dont know fly4.

Return to “Hydrofoil”