A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

“Light” wind tubes

Postby junebug » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 pm

I’m in the market for a new “light” wind kite. Everyone has their own light wind fun threshold, and I have found that mine is about 9-10kn. I’m looking for a 10m kite for these conditions.

I know the usual suspects—Airush Ultra, OR Flite, Cloud, etc.—but I’m curious if anyone has experience on the below kites on a 10m (or bigger) at the low end of the range:

Naish Boxer
Cabrinha Drifter
Slingshot Wave
Slingshot Turbine

My main concern is obviously whether these kites are too heavy in the 10m size to stay in the air at 9-10kn.

I recently got a LF WOW 10m V3, but it drops out of the sky at 9kn, backstalls like hell at 10kn, and won’t water relaunch consistently until at least 11kn. I really don’t want to make that mistake again.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: “Light” wind tubes

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 pm

I have 2018 Boxer and Ultra. Ultra is lighter, flies in less wind and can fly more forward in the window at the ideal bar position. I think Boxer relaunches better, has a shorter bridle and is more durable. I think the leading edge battens improve the Boxers flight and its a nicer kite if there is just a bit more wind.

I have briefly flown Cloud D. Much lighter than the others. A little less power for the size. A friend with 8.4 cloud as his largest kite will only come out when I have the ability to step down to my 5m Hyperlink.

I always choose my Hyperlink for these conditions as it is more powerful and very much lighter size for size. Relaunch is way better. Also the kite accepts riding downwind better. Mostly the tube-kites are for my kids or for me if the sand is very wet and likely to stick the foil kite cloth.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Jake, what's the difference between Boxer and Hyperlink (what size?), I mean in the low end? I have the Boxer 12 2018/19 and it will be fine until it drops from the sky at around 7 knots.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:42 pm

About 1.5 kg between 8m boxer and 9m hyperlink regular cloth. It’s a huge weight savings. Hyperlink 7m turns slower and pulls more in comparison to Boxer 8.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 pm
I have 2018 Boxer and Ultra. Ultra is lighter, flies in less wind and can fly more forward in the window at the ideal bar position. I think Boxer relaunches better, has a shorter bridle and is more durable. I think the leading edge battens improve the Boxers flight and its a nicer kite if there is just a bit more wind.

I have briefly flown Cloud D. Much lighter than the others. A little less power for the size. A friend with 8.4 cloud as his largest kite will only come out when I have the ability to step down to my 5m Hyperlink.

I always choose my Hyperlink for these conditions as it is more powerful and very much lighter size for size. Relaunch is way better. Also the kite accepts riding downwind better. Mostly the tube-kites are for my kids or for me if the sand is very wet and likely to stick the foil kite cloth.
What size Boxer(s) do you have and what is it’s range?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:30 am

junebug wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 pm
I recently got a LF WOW 10m V3, but it drops out of the sky at 9kn, backstalls like hell at 10kn, and won’t water relaunch consistently until at least 11kn. I really don’t want to make that mistake again.
all kites I have flown would stay up at 9kts (I think the threshold for tubes is 6-7kts, with some specific ones being able to survive 5 kts)
Most of the kites will deep water relaunch at 9-10kts with good technique
I know nothing about LF WOW but I don't see how it would be different...if it backstalls, maybe it's the bar?
Very often, you can mitigate that by looping the kite that is losing tension to keep it in motion and flying..
Again in 9kts most recent kites will fly solid...

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:50 am

re-reading your post, I think riding 10m for 9-10kts is a little ambitious..
Yes it works as foils are pretty efficient, but on certain directions, you just don't have enough juice from the kite, imho..
In below 12kts I prefer my 17 Zephyr.. It's not particularly light, but I swear to God I can keep it flying in 5-6kts.. If I can side launch it - it's a session! Around 9-10kts I get good speed and lofty jumps...

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:45 am

678 Boxer and 9 Ultra. Mostly my kids fly the tube kites. 90% I fly the Hyperlink 7. It’s hard to comment on range because wind is so subjective, different weights and also foil wings. We are fortunate to have good wind so it’s hard for me to comment on very light experiences. Seems like we have had 15 every day. And I seem to like smaller kites than most others although I sacrifice some boost and upwind.

Realistically if the iKite sensors here read 12 or less tubs kite guys don’t come out. It can be done and I can make the 9 ultra work but if it gets wet I may drift in. 9 Hyperlink and I’m having big fun. Our air is warm and humid so maybe less power than a cold 12 knots.

The Boxers need just a little more wind. Less wind than any 3 strut I’ve flown but more than the ultra. I’m most likely to ride the 6 on HF in 16 Kts and up. Bigger sizes and I prefer the foil kite for hydrofoil. My comparisons are based a lot on riding downwind on foil or in waves where the wind feels like zero. My 120 lb teenager loves TT riding the 8m boxer in 18 knots plus. Super fun and easy kite. I like to use the boxer 8 or Ultra 9 in 18 knots plus in our onshore slop surf. Riding waves too fast downwind and the heavier kites sink. Plenty of downloops bus zero wind is still zero.

If you are committed to a big tube kite for light wind foiling I would get a Cloud a size up from whatever size you think is right. My second choice would be Ultra sized right.

But my true choice would be a medium aspect foil kite.

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:19 am

I (75kg just past beginner level) kite with Cloud D kites - 10.4m for 7/8kn to 12kn breeze (no to almost no white caps) and 8m 11kn to 15kn using 32m race lines.
The 10.4 Cloud D will launch easy in 5kn breeze off ground or off water in 6kn + and stay up without any issues.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am

9-10kts is not so light wind anymore. Almost any LEI will fly without problem so I will go for nicest kite. But deep water relaunch - i will actually yet to see deepwater relaunchable LEI at 9.
For relaunching LEIs its in LW its important if they can fly backward /back lines pulling/ So put also this on your priorities. I dont know any of these kites - I know North Mono and Neo. Mono is bad, Neo is very nice - and for sure 9 NEO will work on foil at 9-10 /86kg/ but not a chance it will relaunch. Also aim for low V front lines so you can use opposite front back lines technique.
Now i have 9m foil kite for this winds 6-12 which is relaunchable from 6 maybe even 5 without any problem. But if 9-10 is your LW - you are in LEI world in my book.

Return to “Hydrofoil”