butterfish
Rare Poster
Gear: trying to keep it simple
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

comparison one strut kites

Postby butterfish » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:25 pm

hey

can anybody give a comparison of all the one strut kites on the market? especially for foiling? i am interessted on weight, depower ability because i kite mostly in gusty winds, low wind water relaunch, etc...

how to choose a good range for foiling with a big wing? i am 75kg, want to foil in 8-25 knots. is a 3 kite range possible?

LF solo, airush ultra, naish boxer, f one breeze etc...

cheers

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: comparison one strut kites

Postby tomtom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Ehm... I dont like mono and one struts. I start with this stament. So i will buy this only for 8-12 - other kites are better normal wave kites because they are much nicer in all aspect except weight which is not as important above 12knts. Think about foil kite for 6-12. LEIs doesnt relaunch before 10

My setup is 9m freeride foil kite - 9 wave LEI and 7 wave LEI. I dont use 9 LEI on foil - just on SB. On foil i use 9 foil kite and then 7 LEI.

So my optimum freeride foil setup for 7-25 will be 9m Foil kite, 7m LEI, 5m LEI - 25Knts will be probably little bit too much but that depends more from abilities than from kite size alone

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:39 am

butterfish wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:25 pm
hey

can anybody give a comparison of all the one strut kites on the market? especially for foiling? i am interessted on weight, depower ability because i kite mostly in gusty winds, low wind water relaunch, etc...

how to choose a good range for foiling with a big wing? i am 75kg, want to foil in 8-25 knots. is a 3 kite range possible?

cheers
If it's gusty I would look at the OR Flite. Its not 1 strut but I can foil on my 12m flite in 7 knots. It hangs in the air till 6 ish. I dont see much benefit to the 1 strut kites because the flite hangs in the air below the wind speed I can even foil. Also, I find it handles large sudden gusts way better than the single struts I have tried. IMHO go OR Flite 12 or 14.5 depending on weight or get a foil kite.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 am

I rode north Monos on my foil 1 season and SB 2 seasons. 12-9-7m On SB I like them. I'm sure the neo, Reo, etc are better at SB.
On foil it's not really handling gusts, but if you can depower them. I found that as I became better foiler, the kites were flapping a lot, like 80% of the time. That was my 1 compliant. Perhaps 3 strut do this less.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:32 am

TomW wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 am
I rode north Monos on my foil 1 season and SB 2 seasons. 12-9-7m On SB I like them. I'm sure the neo, Reo, etc are better at SB.
On foil it's not really handling gusts, but if you can depower them. I found that as I became better foiler, the kites were flapping a lot, like 80% of the time. That was my 1 compliant. Perhaps 3 strut do this less.
In my experience the 'One struts are handling gust less well' claim is absolute nonsense.

The fact that you can dump a bit of power if required by having the canopy flapping is not a con. It is a pro... Yes sure you can make it flapping, but the kite will still be very predictable and thus I consider it stable. Didn't investigate it quantitatively, but I would guess the flapping slows down the kite and the hydrofoiler on request in comparison to the same sheeting out using a multi strut canopy. Isn't that a trait that you can slow down your foil if you want to?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:06 pm

I own the "Aurush One" in 9m and 6m ( first generation of single strut 6 years ago, ahead of its time) and the OR Flite in 10m ; I love both for different uses :
- Flite is really light, so it hangs in the air with few wind. It has better high end, better upwind angle, better straight speed, flaps less than my single strut when depowered, less bar pressure appreciated in switch ride , more comfortable in long runs.
- Airush One turns quicker and pull during the loop is lower and more constant, (easier for gybes) ; I still find an advantage of the single strut with 1-2 less knots, but my One is really light (2.3 kg in 9m); One relaunches better

But be carreful, some single strut kites are significantly heavier even if one strut (North Mono is an example IMO) ; So, should I have to choose one new single strut : Airush Ultra for its light weight ! otherwise if you want to buy one at low budget , I know a guy who is selling a second hand One 12m (2012, IMO adapted to heavy foileur or for surfing in light wind).

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:43 am

ADD834A9-9D61-44FE-8FB8-FE1CB347B84C.jpeg
Kalbarri
I just went on a holiday along West Australian coast.
Took a TT Foil board and Spitfire. And one kite.
8m Zeeko Notus Air with choice of 20-24-28m lines
Coped the whole wind range but kited 12-32kts.
If I wasn’t so lazy I would have gone down to 20m lines for the really wind days. Or actually moved the steering line attachments to the more suitable position.

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am

I have Ultras in 12, 10, 9( will sell), 8, and looking at getting a 6m . The addition of a 10m this year has evened out the sizing, didn't like the jump from 12 to 9 last year. I use for foiling only.

I have tried Cloud C2, LF Solo v1, Notus Air v1 and Reo's - the Ultra suits me best . Highly resistant to backstall, excellent at zenith and will fly up from low at the window's edge with low line tension ( excellent for getting out in an onshore shorebreak). Bar pressure just right, not too heavy, not too light - they don't oversheet. Turning speed good enough for me , again , not too quick or slow. Quick to redirect with a loop that doesn't punish you when turning, and the drift abilities also really helps if you lose line tension through a turn. Great reverse launch ability too.

For me , they are offer the best all round combination of qualities for foiling. I don't mind the odd occurrence of flapping in the slightest , its not like they do it all the time when foiling - if you were wanting to jump overpowered on a twin tip then that's a different thing. I used to sail Lasers so to me it is just luffing, and helps the kite to fall back in the window if overhead so in marginal winds it is actually a positive. They never Hindenberg because of this .

They are like an extension of my arm now - when I first took my 8m out on a 2 1/2 hour session ( 15-20 kts approx. ) I reckon I looked at the kite maybe 3-4 times in total , that's how comfortable it was. Take that as you may but to me that was a very powerful endorsement of what a well balanced and intuitive set up it is. I can now just forget about the kite and focus more on the foil, the water state , where I am heading, and my manoeuvres.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:02 am

I have 12m and 9m Naish Boxers and love them. They are quick to turn and generate power when underpowered, very manageable when overpowered, great range and playful.
Regarding weights please see this discussion http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2398635

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm

butterfish wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:25 pm
hey

cheers

Why are you asking for one strut kites only?

You have strutless and 3 strut kites too, some can be way better (or worse) than the 1 strut kites.

In 8 knots you can ride with an 11 m2 LEI.

In 25 knots (average wind) you will need a 3 max 4 m2 (with a big wing and 75 kg as you write) if for waves.

So having a 7 m2 as the "in between" you can maybe use from 11 to 17 knots is an option - but you might often find yourself "wishing" you had one more size up or down I think, but yes it would be possible if you want to be minimalistic.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”