Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sand your trailing edges

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Sand your trailing edges

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 pm

deniska wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm
I really don't understand: if there is no performance loss and everything becomes quieter and safer, how come manufacturers don't make TEs blunt/sanded on the factory?
what gives?
They either don't know the physics underlying proper TE shaping, know but don't care enough to do anything about it during manufacturing, or disagree that it's actually a better way to shape a foil.

My guess for most foils is that they just don't hand-finish them to a degree where anyone is going to take the time to address this. When you pull a carbon foil out of the mold, it's faster and cheaper to just snip the outflow off, sand it to a commercial grade finish, then send it out the door. Only the top of the line hand-made race foils like DeltaHydrofoil ever get enough TLC to be shipped with a hand-finished surface. I remember back when the Banga race foils were brand new, I emailed the manufacturer who assured me each foil underwent hours and hours of post-manufacturing hand-sanding for this exact reason.

Return to “Hydrofoil”