Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do Foils Howl?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Why do Foils Howl?

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 pm

The first generation of the Cabrinha Double Agent hummed pretty loudly. I remember someone rode past me while I was standing in the water teaching a lesson and I could hear it as he went by!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:11 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 pm
The first generation of the Cabrinha Double Agent hummed pretty loudly. I remember someone rode past me while I was standing in the water teaching a lesson and I could hear it as he went by!
I've ridden two different units of the first gen -- one whistled at foiling speed, the other dead silent at all speeds. It's something about individual items of gear rather than design. We've a guy with an Access here that whistles so loudly, you can hear him from literally miles away. He swapped the front wing for a DA and ... it still whistles.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 pm

It'll be imperfections in the foil shape setting up oscillations. In super stiff items like carbon wings, there's little or no damping to take these oscillations out and they can build up rapidly.

andrzejwodejszo has the primary answer here, it's almost always going to be from the trailing edge shape. Easy to tweak!

Return to “Hydrofoil”