Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

6m soul for foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Ramkiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush Ultra v2 10 & 7m, Slingshot SST 6 & 4m. Zeeko Scrambler with carver 950 foil and surfboard.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: 6m soul for foiling

Postby Ramkiter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Tony wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Ramkiter wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am
I switched from single strut 9m LEI to Soul 10m for lightwind and liked it so much (no more swimming in under 10 if I dropped the LEI) I also got the 6m.
The 6m on 20m lines I can foil from 11/12 knots, change to 14m lines at 14/15 knots and it's really great not sure of the top end range as I would change to my 5m Cabo at 17/18 knots.
I'm 75Kg and have Zeeko carbon foil with Carver front wing on Levitaz Exo board, hope that helps.
What's your range like on the foil with the 10m?
On the 10m I can go as low as I want with 28m lines probably 6/7 knots 20m lines 8 knots, I like it best in 10 to 15 knots on 14m lines, never pushed the top end as I always change down.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Once again this is getting off the topic , I'm only asking about the 6m Soul !!! I'm riding in mostly flat water and ride my 9m hyperlink from 8 to 15 kts but then I need something smaller as in 70 kilo with my gear on .

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm
there is still something drawn out about their riding between transitions that I don't see in the top LEI foilers.
Foils create really consistent pull, so the power never really goes "off" the way it does with an LEI. Also, they rely on being moved at speed through the WW in order to create power, so less of that "sheet in and power up" feeling, so yeah, the lines you draw are going to account for that difference.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:31 pm

I have the hyperlink 9m UL too. Had same questions and went with a Hyperlink 7m. There's overlap at high end of 9, which is good, I can go out on it even when 9m is still comfortable. so far it gets me into 20 knots with comfort. Have not been out in more. Only used it 3 times since early August.... It's a lot of fun. Drifts way way better than my 7m lei, meaning it never floats then jerks back into power. It's smoother.
Going to Brazil in October and that's what I'll probably use there.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks Tom . I bought the hyperlink before the soul came out and I here good things about it, and I have owned lots of flysurfer kites
. I think the 6 soul would give me a bit better top end

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I am riding the Hyperlink in all sizes (5,7,9,12) and did test the 6m Soul back in April using my own bar that I have been using on my 5m Hyperlink on the same day too, 45cm/7m lines that is.
There is a video of it that FS put online on FB a few days ago, I shared it in my FB profile too then.
www.facebook.com/frank.rosin.1
Of course I know the Hyperlink a lot better as it is my everyday kite, but my impression was that on the 6m Soul everything should be done more fluid and with more speed to work well.
Anyways, just one 35km session on it.
It was cool to see Olly Bridge riding my complete setup (with their 6m) that day, while they had some testing of bigger sizes on twintips going on that day.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Of course I know the Hyperlink a lot better as it is my everyday kite, but my impression was that on the 6m Soul everything should be done more fluid and with more speed to work well.
Anyways, just one 35km session on it.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
Not strange to hear that from an Ozone dealer. You really should put your affiliation in your profile. I'm really thinking of getting a 6m Soul but since I already have an 8m, it will mess up my quiver and I LOVE my 8m. In to hear other's non-bias opinions.

=Jason-

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am

Hi wrote it as unbiased as possible, with very clear "I know the Hyperlink a lot better as it is my everyday kite" disclaimer. What you wanna hear is Ode to Soul. Any opinion without some other kite reference is imo worthless.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 am

tomtom wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 pm
I honestly cannot understand how someone can actually prefer Foil kite to LEI kite in high wind. For light wind it is obvious and i myself use FOIL kite in light. This comment "it seems you pull the bar, wait a moment, then all of a sudden the kite tips over and turns like crazy"... Small tubes are like extend not to your hands but extend to your mind. There is ZERO delay in <7 tubes. All disadvantage of tubes stop to exist in high wind and contrary all foils advantages are no longer in high wind. Starting and landing small foil kite in high wind its always adventure. High wind are more turbulent by nature and FOIL and turbulence dont like each other. There are so many excellent wave kites that are proven to work in nuclear. They are cheap. Everybody knows how to start and land them. Almost nobody consistently use FOILS in nuclear - they are rare exception. They do not behave predictable in these wind. Pumping 5m lei is like instant. They stay on place while parked on beach. They are easy to check lines etc... So many things can go wrong in nuke wind so why complicate things. Only thing that come in my mind can be LEI are maybe too fast for some people.
my thoughts 100%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am

tomtom wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am
Hi wrote it as unbiased as possible, with very clear "I know the Hyperlink a lot better as it is my everyday kite" disclaimer. What you wanna hear is Ode to Soul. Any opinion without some other kite reference is imo worthless.
No what I want to hear is the opinion of someone who has flown both who isn't a dealer of either brand. Otherwise, it will be biased. No dealer is going to recommend the other brand.

=Jason-

Return to “Hydrofoil”