Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Foilers vs Kiters proportion now

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 pm
100% of cool kiters ride hydrofoils. 0% of cool kiters don't hydrofoil. 100% of twin tippers that foil 0% of the time are 0% cool.
I am not cool then.

Guess I need to do it to be cool now.

Will wait for the light wind in the afternoon in Brazil now...and skip the perfekt 20-25 knots on flattest water.

But I like the approach! Hopefully everyone will follow so I have the lagoons just for me...

On a serious note: everyone who just has light wind should foil for sure...sitting on the beach is no fun if your time is limited.

Enjoy!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:50 pm

I am not cool then.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the path to recovery :lol: :lol:

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pikovsg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Mark my word - 3-4 years from now, half of kiters people will be on foils most of the time.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm
Mark my word - 3-4 years from now, half of kiters people will be on foils most of the time.
I would say 25%. Don’t forget many beginners, they will learn and choose TT first.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 pm

This really depends on the spot, like Toby pointed out, if you have 25+ knots everyday, you wont foil much i guess. But if like me, you have 60% of the day with a seabreeze between 5 and 12 knots, you wont touch the TT much.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 pm

foiling is good for older kiters, never seen an under 30 foiling, mostly 40-50 years old+

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Look at the young racers. Many.

Normal kids? Too expensive for now.

But sure more dads will share it with their kids in the future.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 am

Around here so far i've seen around 40% moved to foil and another 20% has a foil but scared to ride it or wants the right conditions to learn.

Me i've given up all other disciplines I keep wanting to go back to surf board but haven't. The TT's are completely out might even throw them away or make a shelf or something. I added 3 foils to the mix for different rides.

Expensive is really taken off the table cause not only do you get a free kite with every purchase you also go small with your kites further reducing expenses. You will eliminate at least 2 kites if you have a vast quiver like many of us once had. hence the free kites with every purchase. At retail thats a foil or board or both with a kite complete with bar if buying new.

High winds are preferred for foiling (once you get it.) but light winds bring on a fun challenge. Never worry about wind anymore unlike the days without a foil. And yes if your time is limited foils make Every session non stop riding and touring large amounts of areas. The lakes we go to i would never see as much cool spots as on foil. Which brings into the next part of NO crowds not that we have them here but still your on your own which really makes it great.

For me the foil and kite are as versatile as a boat or a jetski as you can do whatever you want and go wherever you want without a care in the world about conditions.

I've heard it all from injurys (which can and will happen learning.) oh hes on a foil, to expensive, to light wind only gadget, blah blah blah. My time on the water is really nearing 100% unless full on glass conditions which rarely happens whereas before i'd say kiting on more traditional means was 30% and mostly a frustrating and or waste of time followed by 1-2 days of the most memorable times on the water PER SEASON. Not anymore.

Water kiting was a fun thing to do while waiting for the snowkiting now i'd prefer to foil and travel to more foil destinations and could care less about snowkiting.

Without a doubt I've been bitten by the foil virus :rollgrin:

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 pm
This really depends on the spot, like Toby pointed out, if you have 25+ knots everyday, you wont foil much i guess. But if like me, you have 60% of the day with a seabreeze between 5 and 12 knots, you wont touch the TT much.
I started foiling for light wind kicks, then found out the 25kt+ foil days are very pleasant surprise ... high speed foiling in bigger winds swells is the cat's meow.

But yes, I fit the 40-50 demographic. No surf to play in and bored of twintip (read: hit that plateau where bored of the same old and too painful to attempt next level :lol: ). Foiling has brought some new, fun challenges. There's a group of middle agers around her also getting it for the same reasons ... makes the lame days more fun, mix things up, etc. Come to think of it, a few summer afternoons this year, the foils did out-number non-foils ... though with less than 10 people total it doesn't take much to shift the balance. The big change this year is the windsurfers switching to the sword side.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 am

Toby has never foiled ever what!!!!!? Toby you are missing out big time if you haven’t....boosting on foil compared to twintip is like driving a 1995 Ford pickup vs driving a BMW F80 M3 :D 5 times the fun..

Return to “Hydrofoil”