Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How small is too small?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

How small is too small?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi - regarding stabilizers, just want to hear experiences from others.

I have stabilizers from 200 cm2 up to around 300.

300 is too big when experienced IMO, for all wings from 600 to the surf wings 1200 cm2, eventhough the big ones were "de facto standard" years ago.

BUT, having used the super small ones quite flat so no vertical stabilizer effect, I feel they lack something so honestly find them too small in most conditions,

The supersmall stabilizers are great because they are super lively, yes.

But at some point you lose the driving and "good" feel in turns, they simply dont track anymore, which at some point becomes bad IMO :roll:

Somewhat like windsurfers or kite waveboards with twinzer fins - super lively but only a few like these, as you lose the good feel and it becomes like a finless thing that dont feel good :(

I dont see any future in stabless either, because of above, having tried it myself a couple of times.
Respect to those like Horst and Flying Grandpa going for it, but there are always niches in every sport.

Regarding transitions, bigger stabilizers should be easier to deal with - but I must say I dont see much difference in this respect.

Maybe for totally newbees a bigger stabilizer (and more negative AOA for the first tries maybe) is a lot easier - but otherwise my findings are it is the carving/turning abilities that matters, and nothing but that, regarding which size to use :thumb:

The bigger stabilizers dont actually feel bad in any way - it is only mentally you KNOW they are bigger than necessary, thus you (me) dont feel good anymore - what a waste :-?

What have others found, if using different size stabilizers?

I am only talking freeride/freestyle/waves here, dont care about racing eventhough I love it, just not for me when riding.

Around 220-240 cm2 seems to work great for me even for bigger wings 800 and 1200 cm2, not too small, but still super lively and fun.

8) PF

Brizair10
Medium Poster
Gear: Onda 633, Old Tube kites, soul10

Re: How small is too small?

Postby Brizair10 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:30 am

Good Point !

Has anyone of the Onda fans ever tried to ride it with the 330 or 325 stabilizers ? (mounting them is no problem ) ?

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Interesting. I’ve been on Onda setup this session and foresee a shorter fuselage and smaller stabilizer for next development.

Maybe I’ll try a 330 or 325 stab and see what results....

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Stab size and fuse length kind of change with riding style because they create lifting forces at different board speeds. So your super large stabs and long fuses are going to work well for slower speeds, but at the expense of maneuverability.

Return to “Hydrofoil”