Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you disassemble your foilboard after each use?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you disassemble your foilboard after each use?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Amazing, you dont HAVE to, as no gain when all carbon (as I assume when a Tuttle head), but choose to dissasemble and wipe and pack everything because you LIKE to do that?

Cool, but not sure many (not me at least) like this part of it, when you ride daily in periods, between work and family/friends and sports, then it is a thing I tend to avoid as much as possible :roll:

We are all different - but in this respect I am lazy and want to ride a little more, instead of mounting/dismounting things when I dont have to, no doubt :rollgrin:

8) PF

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:59 pm

I too am lazy when it comes to this. It helps that my car is big enough to comfortably hold my board and foil assembled.

I have a plate connection, and I take the mast off every 3 months or so and reapply tef-gel to the mounting screws. Every month or so I will check the screws to make sure they aren’t seized up, but that’s it. I don’t even rinse it with fresh water. It’s hard to imagine that would do much good assembled.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I have two sets of Fone foil, both all carbon exept one mast which is aluminium, and the "head" to fit in to the KF box is carbon or carbon composit, actually it's the same as the one on the carbon mast, so there is no differents regarding corrosion. (it has a brass or bronze like insert fitted for the screw in the head) also exchangeable in case something happens to it.
the aluminium mast has carbon at the bottom end as well where it meets the front wing and fuselage... its simple and it works.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:48 pm

I only ever undo 2 bolts, the ones that attach the mast to the fuselage,
then the neoprene home made covers slip over the front and rear wings to protect the car and the carbon wings.
the reasons why I only undo the 2 bolts mentioned are -
I have found that these two bolts tend to loosen themselves slightly during a good session, my sailing buddies have discovered this as well, although lately I have replaced the Stainless steel washers for stainless steel spring lock washers and this cheap fix has worked very well.
All other parts are carbon apart from the fuselage, and marine grease is applied to all threads around every month or so.
I get to sail most days if conditions allow.

A couple to tips worth remembering are to ensure all screws are torx head or deep Alan head,never shallow head, and invest in a top quality T handle wrench,
one of the best is made by Teng Tools, and can be bought on Ebay as a single item instead of a set, important as a full set is silly expensive.
I can confirm that breaking down all the bits every time as I used to when I had basic aluminium cheap kit was for me, a real PITA,
dropping screws in the sand or long grass, or even worse wet sand, can bring out beach rage, and god forbid if you drop one and it disappears, for this reason I always carry with me a full set of spare screws and washers, even T nuts can be lost if you choose to break down every time.(Yes Wayne, I know you did!)

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:16 pm

As Kamikuza says " replace all the metric Allen heads with Torx head bolts". If you can get them in A4 Stainless then all the better. You still need to put some Tefgel or similar on them, but they offer a far better connection to unjam a stubborn bolt. Then if you miss the full wash down after a session you wont be fighting with the rounded off Allen head bolts made of cheese that often come as standard.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Disassembling aluminum foil once per every 10 sessions or so is OK. I didn't bother during the first 20 sessions; consequently, the fuse become inseparable from the mast. Keep in mind, that during first assembly I sprayed insulation foam into the threads, which is not exactly a lube.

Still, had splashed some boiling water over the mast (alum is very good thermal conductor), and the bolts grudgingly gave in. And those were very very long M8 bolts. After that little experience I lube the bolts with supplied grease, and they always come out so easily that I wouldn't worry leaving the foil assembled for a prolong periods of time.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:38 pm

My last foil just barely fit in my car fully assembled and mounted to the board. I had a set of Flyboy foil covers that I'd throw on, wedge it into the back of my car, then forget about it until my next session.

Before regattas I usually disassemble, clean, fill/paint/repair, then sand and reassemble. Carbon fiber with the brass tuttle bolts and SS hardware doesn't require a whole lot of nitpickiness.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 pm
Its a must for alloys. I was disassembling the foil from mast after each use for storage space issues, but left the mast base (ss hoverglide) on. now the bolts are stuck. Soaked it in penetrating oil for 2 weeks and still a no go.Stripped out the recessed allen bolt heads.Ill weld a couple of nuts to the top of bolts when I get a chance . Lesson learned :smash:
I had this happen on my old NR slingshot mast which seized to the base. I used a cetalyn torch and heated up the screws. It came apart but the mast threads were ruined.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Yes. Pack down every time why? Takes up less space. I also have several wing sets and am never sure which wing I want to fly on a given day until I'm on site.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Do I disassemble after each use?

No way!
I grease the bolts/holes heavily and leave them. Mostly fresh water though for me so not such an issue getting stuck. Also driving a truck, so space limitation is no problem

Return to “Hydrofoil”