Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you disassemble your foilboard after each use?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

Do you disassemble your foilboard after each use?

Postby kite_hh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 am

I am planning on getting into (kite)foiling and came across this question.

Obviously, if you don't live really close to the water you will need to transport your gear. A disassembled foil is way easier to transport and probably(?) less prone to transport damage.

Also, disassembling may allow you to thoroughly clean your foil after saltwater use (needed?).

However, disassembling probably will cause some wear on the screws and threads.

I would be interested how you handle yours and what you would suggest to do if usage is every other week and in saltwater.

Thanks!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Do you disassemble your foilboard after each use?

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am

Yes. Absolutely. I disassemble and clean my foil and all parts after each use. I also reapply tefgel at regular weekly intervals as per the manufacturers guidelines.

And you won't find me expressing any other sentiment on a forum that a manufacturer might or might not frequent just in case I ever need to make a warranty claim.

With a previous foil that I no longer own however, I would only remove the foil from the board and transport the foil fully assembled. But as I no longer own that one I have no chance to make a warranty claim in the future.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am

No, not often, but...

I sometimes take the board off the mast (one screw only on Ketos so fast to do), so it can fit in the car with other boards and hydrofoils.
Only take the mast of the fuselages on occasion if I need to store lots of other boards in the car, waveboards, surfboards, etc, so there is more room - a "flyer" does not take up much space and you can choose your mast length and wings on a given day so sometimes an advantage even though time consuming.

Never ever rinse anything whatsoever - not needed with carbon foils :thumb:

Most often I just put the assembled foil on its side in the car on top of the other gear, so ready to use next day.

If you got alu foils you HAVE to use a lot of time dissasembling every time or at least very often, but that is the price for the lower cost foils.

For carbon foils there is no need at all, a waste of time rinsing IMO and experience, and would be an awful menace to do every time you have been out :o

Would be even worse than if you should rinse and dry your wetsuit - I dont know (m)any who does that, apart from occasionally or in the winter when you drive back in the suit and straight into the shower :naughty:
There wouldnt be much time left for surfing then :rollgrin: (or no job)

8) Peter

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 am

When I had 60 cm mast, I could fit the complete foil into my sedan car from the rear door :D
But now, with a taller mast, I have to disassemble the board every time and I it sucks. I hope there will be more quick attach foils available in the future. Naish already have a quite good system, only one screw to tight.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am

I dont rinse or take apart, only if I have to.
I do use lubrication on the screws, from time to time...

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 pm

I have a Naish alloy foil, 12 months of use. I kite in salt water, leave assembled with the board as it fits in the car that way. Quick rinse with a hose when I get home and only disassemble once every two weeks for regreasing. I use grease on joins and screws, it’s cheap and you can use plenty, no corrosion problems at all.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Its a must for alloys. I was disassembling the foil from mast after each use for storage space issues, but left the mast base (ss hoverglide) on. now the bolts are stuck. Soaked it in penetrating oil for 2 weeks and still a no go.Stripped out the recessed allen bolt heads.Ill weld a couple of nuts to the top of bolts when I get a chance . Lesson learned :smash:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Above two posts is the very reason why you have to...

One has been lucky to avoid it most often, most others get stuck bolts quite fast if left assembled.

After two weeks on an alufoil I had, the mainbolts (with lots of tefgel) were stuck in the mast and I were lucky to be able to get them out with brute force with special tools, phew :wink:

So I would think it is like rolling kites wet - some can do this very often nothing happens, others can have a kite left overnight only, and mildew grows and the kite looks like shit and can not be saved.
Impossible to foresee when it will happen - just like alu/inox, it WILL happen, but when is hard to say as many factors influences.

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Only take the foil of the board...

Replace your Allen bolts with Torx bolts, life will be now pleasant :D

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes. Every single time. My board and foils and masts go into neat little bags. Carrying them is like carrying and oversize briefcase. It all fits neatly into the back of my car without moving seats or anything.

During disassembly I wipe everything with a damp car chamois cloth. It keeps everything clean and reduces any pooling of salt water.

I use very high quality t-handle hex wrenches. They're pretty quick to use and they don't chew out the hex holes. I recently got an electric driver. That's quite fun to use and sets all the screws to 5nm, plus a quarter turn to lock them in.

I tried leaving things assembled but it's such a pain trying to wiggle things around to get them in my car. I would be really pissed of if I damaged the either the foil gear, or the leather upholstery in my car.

When I get home I can leave everything in the car, or put the board and kites in the gear rack and the mast and foils in the cupboard. It is extremely convenient.

I have two foils (low and high aspect) and two masts (70 and 95cm). I choose the combination of stuff I want to use depending on the conditions.

My mast has deep tuttle connections so there's only two screws at each end to do. I foil almost every day. The assembly process is part of the pleasure of foiling. It's such a joy to use gear that works so well in every aspect, both riding and setup.

My gear is all carbon sandwich construction. Super light and super durable. The only maintenance is filling the odd scratch or chip with epoxy putty, and a bit of a sand to make it all smooth. I use cheap spray paint as a sacrificial layer to sand to keep everything smooth. I might do that twice a year.

Return to “Hydrofoil”