Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Three strut Hybrid C kites for foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kishtsang
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oostvoorne, Netherlands; Kijkduin/Zandmotor, Netherlands; Rockanje, Netherlands; Ouddorp, Netherlands; Hoek van Holland, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, Hawaii; Kanaha, Hawaii; Kahala, Hawaii; Kaneohe Sandbar; Hawaii; Mui Ne, Vietnam; Langebaan, SA
Style: Strapless, Wakestyle, Freeride
Gear: Zian Hantu V3 7m, 9m, 11m
Best TS LW 15m
Flysurfer Peak 3 12m

Axis Tranq 141
Shinn Ultrasonic
Best Stubby Pro
Slingshot Alien Air + H4 Surf Wing
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Three strut Hybrid C kites for foiling?

Postby kishtsang » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone has some experience riding hybrid C kites (FX, Dice, Enduro, etc.) with a foil in light winds? Some of these are pretty light like the FX and Enduro and perhaps would work in 8-12 knots (12m).

Thanks

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Three strut Hybrid C kites for foiling?

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Anything works, its just a matter of how well. It also really matters how you want to ride and what you are used to.

I ride an alloy foil, am happy with it, and Im sure getting used to many of the nice carbon ones on the market would ruin my enjoyment of the one I have.

I've foiled with 5 strut, 3 strut, 2 strut, and no strut kites. The strutless kites have ruined me for using anything else in under 12 knots.

The wind range you mention is actually a pretty big range when it comes to foling. I'd say that you can fly any kite in 10 knots, so anything can work from 10-12, but you cant say the same for 8-10. Under 10 and yes, you can technically fly many kites, but the margin for error get really tight and it eats into their utility. Might not happen every session, but the risk of a swim is real every time out. Relaunch in 8-10 is not dependable with most 3 strut kites.

I use a 12m cloud for the 10 knot stuff. It has absolutely no scuff guards, or reinforcements whatsoever, and has got to be one of the very lightest tube kites out there. Flies easy enough down to about 7/8 knots, but not really any lower than that. That's what it takes to make it reliable enough for me to rig in 10 knots. I won't even try to foil with a normal 3 strut kite until its reliably up over 12 knots.

Opinions will vary depending on experience.

TARTAX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarquinia
Favorite Beaches: Tarquinia
paros
Style: Wave & hydrofoil freestyle
Gear: Airush kites,rrd waveboards,moses hydrofoil,newind foilboard

Postby TARTAX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm

i ride moses onda 633.
i just go freeriding ,freestyling and waveriding.
my biggest kite is 9 airush wave and i think it performs very well.i can ride from 9 knots and something belowbut iknow under 11 knots if the kite drops, i swim.
over 13 knots i switch to 7 airush wave...over 17 to 6 or 5.
me too I'm trying to figure out a lei kite that can relaunch under 10 knots.
don't think actual monostruts give a massive relaunch advantage.
clouds could be the solution ,but impossible to try , unavailable for European countries and expensive

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

TARTAX wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:57 pm
i ride moses onda 633.
i just go freeriding ,freestyling and waveriding.
my biggest kite is 9 airush wave and i think it performs very well.i can ride from 9 knots and something belowbut iknow under 11 knots if the kite drops, i swim.
over 13 knots i switch to 7 airush wave...over 17 to 6 or 5.
me too I'm trying to figure out a lei kite that can relaunch under 10 knots.
don't think actual monostruts give a massive relaunch advantage.
clouds could be the solution ,but impossible to try , unavailable for European countries and expensive
I align with your thoughts as well,
although I do have a 10 and 12mtr kite for use mainly on my higher aspect Moses wing set, My 9mr is my go to kite in most light wind situations using the 633 Moses Onda wing set.
I have used monostrut kites and find little advantage if any over 3 strut, if you can get the mono strut to rise from the water into the C shape for launching then yes they will unstick and take off more easily than a 3 strut, but the 3 strut will more easily flip over and get into the C position ready for a gust to lift off, but you may have to wait longer and try to coax it to unstick and lift off,but its that first few yards of lift where you can notice the difference between a light one strut and a 3 strut, I prefer the 3 strut for this very reason as it will sit on its side without folding which translates to fewer swims back in.
What I have found like everyone else who is foil boarding is just how skilled you become at getting your kites to relaunch in very little wind, patience and a light touch being the main key to success, along with the guaranteed practice.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:28 pm

kishtsang wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone has some experience riding hybrid C kites (FX, Dice, Enduro, etc.) with a foil in light winds? Some of these are pretty light like the FX and Enduro and perhaps would work in 8-12 knots (12m).

Thanks
I've ridden the Naish Slash in light winds. It works really well. I think the important aspect is to get a kite that isn't too grunty. Another advantage of the slash would be that it drifts really well even in relatively light winds.

Edit: I probably wouldn't call it a hybrid c tho.

TARTAX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarquinia
Favorite Beaches: Tarquinia
paros
Style: Wave & hydrofoil freestyle
Gear: Airush kites,rrd waveboards,moses hydrofoil,newind foilboard

Postby TARTAX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm

anyway i think that for a good and relaxing hydrofoil session the limit is 9 knots...under this limit you can go but is not so fun going with a lei.
even because the kite is too slow and is impossible to make turns or tricks..or surfing waves .
of course if your goal is to race or just cruising is different...

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board

Postby mcfly777 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 pm

I ride an FX 8m about 90% of my sessions, from 12-19kts using a Moses 558 wing. It's very responsive, relaunches well. I have a friend that does the same thing with an FX and he likes it as well. In lighter winds there's not a lot of gain beyond 10m (at least for the FX), and I wouldn't get a 12m.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

Thinking of kites as you go forward with foiling is becoming either a real dilemma or real simple.
I used to talk in terms of a kite being able to work on the foil in lighter winds then as it gets too strong switch to SB or TT.
And this sort of left you thinking of the kite having that crossover ability.
As things progress the wind point for crossing over goes up and the time not foiling diminishes.
Since the arrival of my first 8m Notus Air I have given up carrying any other kites as I realised they were coming along because of habit not need.
Lately even the spare bar with std length lines looks like wasted space.
After coming back from a WA holiday a month ago, the TT is still sitting waiting for the hardware to be screwed back on.
Around here wind under 12 knots is totally unreliable and a swim would be inevitable. I don’t like swimming.
12 knots is my bottom end with my 8m. No real need for bigger but down the track a 5 or 6 could be worth a look but at over 22 kts there is no advantage I see to the light kites so a 3 Strut like a Notus Rev would fit the bill quite nicely Santa.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 am

I've got an 8m Enduro. It's reasonable as a foil kite. But not as good as my 2012 cat which was lighter. The Enduro is a bit heavier with a few little batton things and more reinforcement. But it is a better TT engine than my old kite. It has more lift!

I'm thinking lighter wave kite would be slightly better as a dedicated foil kite.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 am

Any kite basically works fine if you don't drop it.

I used to ride an old 12m airush varial x down to 8knots foiling regularly. We have a super reliable wind meter and that was my cutoff (and still is), lulls over 8knots and I'm foiling!

The problem is that you have to be really careful flying regular kites below 10knots or it falls (often not even your fault) and you can't relaunch and are in for a long swim. Foiling you travel long distances too so the swims become terrible quite quickly. The single struts or strutless are much more reliable and that's one the big reasons people use them for lightwind foiling.

Return to “Hydrofoil”